Author Topic: Locals cannot figure out how to pot water lilies  (Read 1952 times)

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Locals cannot figure out how to pot water lilies
« on: July 07, 2012, 06:22:26 AM »
It is getting harder & harder for me to locate piles of extra dirt at construction sites as they are further away from my location.  Therefore I don't have a lot of extra, just enough to keep my plants potted.  I offer my divisions bare root on Craigslist.  I get some people that buy but I've finally figured out that most of the locals don't want to learn how to pot their lilies.  They will pay $25 plus tax for a prepotted lily compared to my bare root prices.  With information just a few clicks away (Google, etc), it surprises the heck out of me that so many people aren't willing to do the research. 

Wait til those prepotted lilies (ususally in pots not big enough to make it an entire season without overgrowing the pot) need dividing & repotting.  What will they do then?  ::)

And they won't buy tropicals.  Go figure.  Lots tropicals do fine with the proper care here.  I've had plenty of mine survive not even being divided for a couple of years without fertilizer, too. :o
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 06:26:04 AM by Kat »
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Locals cannot figure out how to pot water lilies
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 08:18:02 AM »
When they outgrow their pots...they will toss them and buy a 'new' one.

Many people do not want to get dirty.  I know a lady who contracts out her aqurium care.

All this is not much different that having a pizza dilevered.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 09:43:40 AM by SueSTx »

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 08:54:21 AM »
Wow, that makes me think that they do not do any yard work at all if they do not want to bother to learn.  There are people who do not have any type of garden whatsoever, just grass and trees so they probably never had to plant anything before.

A friend of mine refuses to do any gardening, her excuse being that she is afraid of spiders and all the other bug critters that can be found in soil.  I told her that  she could always use gloves.  So I was shocked to find out on FB that she was planting 13 rose bushes  :o at the house she rents (so she won't even be able to keep them when she moves, if she ever gets her own place.) Supposedly someone gave her the 13 rose bushes as a gift, she's been wanting a rose garden for years. 
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 10:28:49 AM »
I know what your sayin'--I used pot them up in the Easter buckets I'd get on sale but, then my dirt supply ran out so I'm selling Bare root now also...it does amaze me how some people hear bareroot and change their mind all together..but, truth is that the Easter baskets I'd use--they usually were in need of repotting by the time they would buy them anyways...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Lynne22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
  • With us since: 25/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 11:16:27 AM »
It is getting harder & harder for me to locate piles of extra dirt at construction sites as they are further away from my location.  Therefore I don't have a lot of extra, just enough to keep my plants potted.  I offer my divisions bare root on Craigslist.  I get some people that buy but I've finally figured out that most of the locals don't want to learn how to pot their lilies.  They will pay $25 plus tax for a prepotted lily compared to my bare root prices.  With information just a few clicks away (Google, etc), it surprises the heck out of me that so many people aren't willing to do the research. 

Wait til those prepotted lilies (ususally in pots not big enough to make it an entire season without overgrowing the pot) need dividing & repotting.  What will they do then?  ::)

And they won't buy tropicals.  Go figure.  Lots tropicals do fine with the proper care here.  I've had plenty of mine survive not even being divided for a couple of years without fertilizer, too. :o
Kat, I have to tell you, before I knew anything about lilies, even the limited amount that I know now- I never wanted tropicals. Not sure why. Just had a mental block about it... Now, I wish that's all I had. Especially since the only hardies blooming for me this year are the puny Dallas, and the weed Odorata. No lemon mist still, even though I put holes in the pots, and fed the crap out of them. I even have a pygmy lily, 2nd year, that has NEVER bloomed. Crown, after crown, after crown....how to stop that?!? Just don't get it. But the tropical I have does GREAT. Now I have the night blooming tropical, and I swear, if the two tropicals I have continually do well for me this year, next year, that's all I am going to have. I love the lemon mist, but I am OVER IT. 6 blooms on 5 plants since May. Unacceptable. I just don't think it likes it here. June Allison is on my list, if you will have it next year.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 12:33:00 PM by Lynne22 »

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 11:31:35 AM »
If I had easier access to dirt I don't think I would be so stingy with it.  I'm sure other people are also like, "where do I get dirt?"  I've tried bagged dirts & they just don't work out as well.  My dirt is stored in buckets & the buckets/lids are becoming old, quickly cracking & falling apart.  Sometimes a lid on the bottom of the stack will collapse & the buckets will fall down.   Biggest problem is getting help from DH to go dirt hunting, digging it, & hauling it home.  He HATES it & is one of those people that would have no flowers, shrubs, or trees.

Will have to look into getting something like the Easter buckets you mention Lawanna.  When I see flower hanging pots being throw out I'll snag them but it doesn't happen often.  I've though about using pots from the dollar store. 

Just this morning I had another guy that wanted me to pot up the lilies & then take them to his home to put them into his pond.  He'd bought a house with a koi pond, cleaned it out, & bought some baby koi.  Now he doesn't have any shade for the koi & wanted to pay for a couple hours of my time to fix up the pond.  Told him he needs to contact the local water garden store to see if he could hire them.  Plus the pile of dirt & dead lilies was still in the yard he said.  Wouldn't want to get dragged into cleaning that up, LOL.

Lynne22, I'm still surprised Lemon Mist hasn't bloomed yet.  Yep, switch out those hardies for tropicals.  Some of the dwarf hardies don't bloom much, so you have to check around to see which ones have the reputation for blooming better.  Plus some prefer cooler temps in order to be better bloomers.
Kat

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 11:40:42 AM »
You could always try sand if you can not find soil. It works great for many. MikeW is using it without issue and it makes re-potting much easier.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
  • With us since: 25/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 12:36:48 PM »
By the way Kat, I meant to comment on the whole dirt thing; I HATE looking for dirt.  lol it's very scarce here for me too. I am considering sand when I divide. I just have this thing stuck in my head that yard dirt is better, but I am running out of options. So I get ya.

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 02:22:40 PM »
Will keep sand in mind but from my understanding it leaches fertilizer quicker.  I'm too lazy to fertilize mid season  {:-P;; :o but appreciate the suggestion.
Kat

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 03:21:01 PM »
I have some old tractor tires filled with field dirt that I used for my tropicals this year. 

Last year (It is the solid green pads)

This year (I measured yesterday and the pads were 12" from top to bottom)

I have duplicated of several of my hardy lilies.  Next spring when I repot.  I think I will do one of each in field dirt and one if my usual cat litter.  It will be interesting to see the difference.

I also switched to a once a year squatic spike.  My hardies are outdoing themselves so far on pad and bloom apprearance.

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 06:02:16 PM »
I am pretty sure Craig is using sand with Osmocote to keep fertilizer from leaching and delivered time release. I am pretty sure he has a small layer of peat moss in the bottom to buffer the PH of his hard water. You might want to check with him at Koiphen as to what he is using now. Last I remember he was using sand. I know Kit Knotts uses sand exclusively as that is what is available to her. Rich Sacher uses silt from the Mississippi that is high in sand, silt and other organic matter.

I have used all sorts of media, now I just let them root into the muck/mulm on the bottom and do their own thing. I add slow release pelleted fertilizer scattered liberally and then stand back and let them go. I used to use the Dixie cups all the time but this is the lazy way that works for me now.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 07:32:56 PM »
Hi Kat, I brought my grandma to your house a year or two ago. She loves water gardening, but is so nervous about screwing something up. I suspect that people are either worried about killing their investment or are just too lazy! I'm always floored by how 95% of my neighbors have a yard service....we're DIY all the way! :)
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline clm

• Members
  • With us since: 05/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 08:32:38 PM »
With all the information on the net now on how to plant things, I agree it's strange how so many people still prefer to have things like that done for them.  It could be bad experiences with planting things bare root in the garden, as that can be tricky with some plants.  Kill enough of them and you'd be gun shy about bare root anything. 
I would love to be able to find bare root tropicals or lotus to plant up myself here.  Very difficult indeed and the potted tropicals are so expensive and potted lotus are a ridiculous price. 
Then some people are just willing to pay for instant anything, so it could be they just can't be bothered to do it themselves and don't care what it costs to have it already done for them.

clm

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 04:58:22 PM »
I love getting all dirty...they are crazy if not...go figure... :)
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"