Author Topic: Some like it hot  (Read 1618 times)

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Some like it hot
« on: July 20, 2012, 03:43:13 PM »
 @O@ 

My Colorado has 19 blooms today...if it isn't a record it ties at least.  I think I would remember a BIG 20

My KOS hasn't been blooming a full two weeks and was putting on a show this morning.

And then some don't like the heat so much   >:(

Pink Ribbon looks great when it first opens up day one...then...not so great  :-\  I won't even mention the Arc-en-Ceil   >:(
High today was 99.5* with a 24% humidity and winds up tp 20 mph

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Some like it hot
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 06:33:13 PM »
Sue they look great

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 04:34:08 AM »
Beautiful blooms! 
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 04:45:12 AM »
Very Nice! I am surprised the KOS did not get crispy blooms...mine does when it gets really hot.
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 09:22:37 AM »
Second day blooms are a little crispy

Offline gander

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 09:59:24 AM »
nice blooms Sue especially with the heat we have been having.

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 11:11:49 AM »
Granddaughter was here yesterday and was counting "her" blooms...a new record breaking   '21'  .  She was so excited.

When she was about three, we were in WM and she wanted 'to pick' a lily.  She chose the Colorado because it had an orange 'flower' on top of the package.

It has been our best bloomer ever since and it doesn't 'fry' in the hot dry winds here.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 02:18:11 PM »
Lilies must love the heat!  Not enough heat to get so many blooms....and I'm not complaining.

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 11:53:23 AM »
 @O@  there are 21 blooms in the Colorado again today.   {:-P;; they were divided in March while granddaughter was here during spring break.  There are 6 tubers in 3 dishpans and none had buds when they were divided.   :hug:  Gotta love those once a year spikes.

I have always used kitty litter because our ground is heavy with calachi.  I now have access to some dirt and I'm gonna try that on half of my pots next year.   :D
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 11:56:57 AM by SueSTx »

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 07:33:32 PM »
@O@  there are 21 blooms in the Colorado again today.   {:-P;; they were divided in March while granddaughter was here during spring break.  There are 6 tubers in 3 dishpans and none had buds when they were divided.   :hug:  Gotta love those once a year spikes.

I have always used kitty litter because our ground is heavy with calachi.  I now have access to some dirt and I'm gonna try that on half of my pots next year.   :D

Wow, that's pretty impressive.  What is "calachi" by the way and why would that make your ground unusable? 
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 08:17:59 PM »
caliche   {:-P;;  (sorry about the spelling)

Caliche and gardening

Problems caused by caliche

Caliche beds can cause many problems when trying to grow plants. First, an impermeable caliche layer prevents water from draining properly, which can keep the roots from getting enough oxygen. Salts can also build up in the soil due to the lack of drainage. Both of these situations are detrimental to plant growth. Second, the impermeable nature of caliche beds also prevents plant roots from going through the bed, which means the roots have a limited supply of nutrients, water, and space, so they cannot develop normally. Third, caliche beds can also cause the surrounding soil to be basic. The basic soil, along with calcium carbonate from the caliche, can prevent plants from getting enough nutrients, especially iron. An iron deficiency will cause the plant’s youngest leaves to become yellow. Soil saturation above the caliche bed can make the condition worse.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/caliche#ixzz21mze3oAf

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 09:35:39 AM »
Another record breaker today...     22 

Out of the last 16 days, we've had two that didn't quite make it to 100*

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"