Author Topic: It's now been a year...  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
It's now been a year...
« on: September 01, 2012, 09:16:35 PM »
Yesterday I shared something on my Facebook page that I thought I should share here as well.  Jerry and a few others here on the AP knew about it.   What I have written below is an extremely abbreviated version of what has been happening in our household this last year.  Rather than writing it all over again I did a copy/paste from my Facebook page:

I have shared this with only a few of my Facebook friends. One year ago today it began. It was about 1am and the Fetching One and I were at Los Alamitos Emergency awaiting the results of an ultrasound to determine the cause of pain in her abdomen. The lab results of a previous blood test indicated something was going on with her liver. While at the ER she became jaundiced. The ER doctor returned with mind numbing news; the ultrasound indicated there was a mass in the area of her liver and based upon her jaundice the mass was blocking the pancreatic and bile ducts. Subsequent testing over the next few days confirmed the mass, a tumor, was in her pancreas and a stint was placed in her bile duct in order to prevent liver failure. Two weeks later a procedure was done confirming the tumor in her pancreas was cancer but it appeared to be operable, if the cancer had not spread. It was determined the cancer had not spread to her liver and last October my wife of 40 years underwent a 12 hour surgery to remove the tumor, part of her pancreas, her gall bladder and part of her stomach. Pathology lab results indicated the tumor was well developed and an “undifferentiated” stage three cancer, however the 21 lymph nodes removed from the area did not show cancer. We met with her oncologist and radiologist and a course of chemo, followed by radiation, followed by more chemo was determined to be the best treatment. The chemo was very hard on my Fetching One but even worse was the effects of the radiation. The chemo and radiation is over and Bev is continuing to heal and gain strength. She has had 3 CT Scans since the surgery and they have not shown any cancer.

Throughout this process we have been blessed and strengthened by our family of friends. But most importantly, God has showered us with blessings and peace.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Pam

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Baby Doll lotus
  • With us since: 15/11/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: It's now been a year...
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 05:42:12 AM »
What a year you two have had! I am glad to hear that the treatments have been a success. I can't imagine the anguish that you've been through. Hugs to both of you and prayers for a continued recovery for Bev.
Pam

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 05:55:39 AM »
Oh no Mikey.  So sorry to hear of your wife's cancer and the trauma you two have undergone.  I am continually amazed at how fragile, yet incredibly strong the human body is.  And the human spirit is even stronger.  May she continue to heal and gain strength through the love of family and friends, known and unknown. You both are in my prayers.
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 06:02:02 AM »
I so glad that the CT Scans are still showing Bev cancer free.

May the year give you many more blessings.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 09:30:08 AM »
Oh my, guess we never know what our online friends are facing.  I am so very sorry that you two have had to deal with such an awful thing.  It's wonderful that she is doing so well and nice to know that she has a real name.........a very pretty one at that!!!  I will be thinking of you and wishing you a very long and happy life together.

Karen

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 10:02:27 AM »
I am so sorry to hear your Fetching One, Bev, had so much to deal with in her cancer and treatment.  Sorry that you as a caregiver and loved one had to experience it along with Bev.  It's very good you shared with us and hopefully we can help both you and Bev out at least in support.  I know AP helped me keep sane when I was the caregiver.  Bev is lucky to have you by her side!  Very glad she is doing better now and hope that dang cancer never harkens your doors again!  I add both Bev and you in my prayers.

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 06:44:58 PM »
Mike:
I'm happy to hear " the fetching in one" is moving forward and I wish her many "clean" check-ups in the future. 

Gary

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"