Author Topic: covered pond yesterday  (Read 699 times)

Offline 2vetts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
covered pond yesterday
« on: October 02, 2012, 08:23:44 AM »
we put the net over pond to try to keep leaves out . this morning i went out and caught 5 frogs [1# and 5# may have been same frog ] and put them in the big pond . they come out from under the net at night to feed and can't get back under it [ no i don't know why ] . in the morning the are 'trampolining'' all over the net which is fun to watch . when they stay in the little pond i end up netting the dead frogs in the spring so by putting them in the big pond they may have a better chance of surviving .....assuming they can swim faster that a largemouth bass . haven't seen much activity here lately , hope all are well . . .peace

Offline howardTheHumble

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/10/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • HowardTheHumble's Aquatic Pages
Re: covered pond yesterday
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 09:29:54 AM »
I seen one lone yellow lily bloom yesterday AM with the temp in the mid 30s.  I expect it was at the end and did not close the previous night.

I either need to dump all the fish in outdoor containers into the big pond or move them indoors.   Call me lazy but the first option is tempting because it is less work :)

The big pond is too much to net.  The first year we moved here I went in with waders and cleaned most of the leaves off the bottom in early winter.  The water was so cold that my black moors got tossed with the leaves and I did not notice till the next day when I moved the pile of leaves to the compost.  Now the leaves stay put and fertilize the pond!  I am not suggesting that to others.

This one hurt because these broadtail moors had been spawned in my fishroom.   There may still be a moors alive because I am seeing 2 or so somewhat longish single tail moors when I feed.  I culled all the single tails so these have to be offspring.

Some day I am going to write an article on all the bonehead way to kill goldfish.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"