Author Topic: Starting seeds today...  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
Starting seeds today...
« on: February 13, 2007, 09:27:25 AM »
I have one of several 72 cell Jiffy greenhouses ready to go and be seeded. I think I will start less seed than I did last year. I wound up giving away so many plant starts because I just do not have the space here. Spring comes early here in Vancouver so I thought I would get a jump on the season. The daylilies, crocuses and irises are already popping.

Anyone else starting seed indoors?

Cheers,
Sean
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 04:51:02 PM by Sean »
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Starting seeds today...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 10:47:32 AM »
I used to start seeds under lights. Didn't get around to it the last few winters. Now that I've given up on the veggie garden, doesn't seem like much point to it. I did grow some very nice Sunny Lady impatiens from Park Seeds several years ago (if you have a catalog handy, that's my little blurb on p. 8 - I'm Sheila Johnson). I think that was the last time I did seeds.

Most of the shop lights in the grow room have crapped out on me, and I need to test all the fixtures and bulbs to decide what is wrong. If I can scrounge up the money, I may end up just buying a really nice multitube T5 fixture from a guy on ebay, since cheap shop lights don't last long in my grow room. I have lots of seeds stored in the downstairs basement from several years ago, but I don't know if it's worth trying to grow them. I suppose I could test them first.

My biggest problem every year is starting seeds too early and not having the light or space to keep them short and stocky until it's warm enough outside, around May 15 for annuals here. They germinate so fast under lights.

So, Sean, what are you planting?
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline Sean

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 05:27:57 PM »
Lots of stuff went into this first 72 cell pack.

There are Passiflora antioquiensis, Passiflora Tarminiana, Passiflora hybrid known only as Red Banana Passiflora, Aristolochia Grandiflora, Aristolochia Ringens, Aristolochia Gigantea, Double rudbeckia (Maya Rudbeckia), Black Eyed Susan (Rudbeckia hirta), Cerinthe Major Purpurescens, Mexican Evening Primrose (Oenothera speciosa), various Morning Glory, Purple Bell Vine (Rhodochiton atrosanguineum), Gunnera Manicata, Canary Bird Vine (Tropaeolum perearinum), Cardinal Climber (Ipomoea quamoclit), Lion's Tail (Leonotis leonurus), Asparagus Fern (Asparagus densiflorus), Blue Ensign Morning Glory (Convolvulus tricolor)

I wanted to plant more but I need to get more jiffy peat pellets.

This greenhouse has an electric heating mat so I will keep the seeds outside where they will get enough natural light to hopefully not bolt on me and get leggy. The mat should keep the bottom of the peat pellets at 75F even outside. If it gets too cold out, I can being them in for a couple days.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 06:44:06 PM »
If you end up with any extra of any of those passiflora, I'll give them the best home I am able . . . . (that would be a not so subtle hint, in case you didn't notice.)   ;)

Offline Sean

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 09:52:12 AM »
Hi Teresa,

I expect to have more P. antioquiensis seedlings than I know what to do with, I will keep you in mind. I did three seeds per peat pot and did a row of six so I fully expect lots of seedlings. I know the seed is fresh as it was sent by a friend in San Francisco who had some fruit just ripen a couple weeks ago, actually I could send you a few seeds if you so desire.

I also have lots of various other passiflora seed I can send you. Some is my own seed that I harvested from crosses between P. Caerulea and P. Constance Elliott. I have extra P. Quadrangularis and P. Mollissima too. I'll just do up a care package for you and mail it out before the weekend.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 05:55:06 PM »
You certainly don't have to mail me anything Sean, but you know I'll be thrilled with anything you send!!!  Thanks so much!  And let me know if I can ever send you anything in return . . . .

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 06:35:57 PM »
I use that Jiffy mini greenhous too.  i am ready to plant!  Burpee's knows Im in zone 10, but no seeds yet.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 06:40:15 PM »
Sean, cool assortment of seeds! Passifloras are great!
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline Sean

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 06:50:58 PM »
I'm hooked on Passiflora just as much as I am tropical waterlilies. Some day I will have an acreage and grow all the plants I ever wanted, well most of them will be in the conservatory attached to the house that I will live in but hey, gotta have somewhere for those fully tropical plants.

I just ordered ceiling wax palm seeds and Cocoa seeds that are so tropical I cant believe I am willing to try them. I have wanted to grow chocolate for years. I am sure I can get them growing but don't know how long I'll be able to keep them going just as indoor plants.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B

Offline Sean

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 06:56:11 PM »
Hi Jerry,

I use these mini greenhouses all the time, they are great. I have passionflower seedlings outside still in the tray that I started from last year. Most of it is from my own seed I harvested from a cross between P. caerulea and P. 'Constance Elliott'. I'll pot them up and let them go this spring. I might take a few around the city and let them naturalize in opportune area's.

I don't know why Burpees hasn't sent your seed yet, this is the best time for you to start seed when it's a little cooler and they can harden off naturally.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 12:41:13 PM »
Sounds great.  Johnny Appleseed haD NOTHING ON YOU!
i WILL EMAIL BURPEES!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 01:51:57 PM »
I don't believe you are going to try sealing wax palms! More than any plant I have ever seen, that is what I want. All the research I could do on them though, was they are hugely expensive to buy, grow as slow as molassas, and die if anyone so much as breathes on them!

Really hope you have success, then I'll want to give it a shot too.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 02:02:30 PM »
Are you talking about red sealing wax palms?  I've been told dividing them will kill them... I can confirm that.  I think I've killed 3 or 4 of them...  to much water, not enough water... bah!
Tammie

Offline Sean

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 03:40:48 PM »
Hi Tammie and Mike,

Yes, the red ceiling wax palm. I intend to grow it as a house plant. If it ever gets too big I guess I could donate it to the Bloedel Conservatory at Queen Elizabeth Park and visit it on weekends ;D
The seeds were super cheap, $2.00 from Trade Winds Fruit so I figured I would give them a try.
The Theobroma cacao - Cacao - Seed Pack was a bit more expensive, $5.75 for two seeds. I figured I need to get that out of my system since I have wanted to grow it since I was a kid and I am told it grows like coffee which I have also grown as a house plant.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 06:00:44 AM »
I have a few packets I order by mail.
Gotta divvy them up, promised at least half to Jerry!
Just gotta get motivated. ::)

Also ordered some bulbs from Thailand: a weird plant called Proiphys amboinensis.

Also some: Romneya coulterii and Ylang Ylang seeds. :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 04:43:38 PM by Joyce »
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2007, 08:55:14 AM »
I have always been too lazy to start seeds. I buy them and toss them in a drawer. Oops.
There are so many plants that are only available as seeds. It is rather foolish of me but often I only need one or two plants and I don't have local gardening friends to share with.  :no:

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Sean

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2007, 12:59:27 PM »
Hi LeeAnne,

I keep my extra seed in the crisper of the fridge, it lasts several years longer and I re-use the annual seed all the time. Just use what I need each year and put the rest in the fridge.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B

Offline Joyce

• Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2007, 05:15:53 PM »
My Proiphys amboinensis bulbs from Thailand came today, and he threw in a couple extra bulbs! O0
I already have them all potted up in one big pot in the sunroom. @O@
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline frloplady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2007, 11:15:08 PM »
I have one of several 72 cell Jiffy greenhouses ready to go and be seeded. I think I will start less seed than I did last year. I wound up giving away so many plant starts because I just do not have the space here. Spring comes early here in Vancouver so I thought I would get a jump on the season. The daylilies, crocuses and irises are already popping.

Anyone else starting seed indoors?

Cheers,
Sean

Well we cheat I guess...started the tomatos in mid January in our little seedhouse and just transplanted them..into the greenhouse.  Greenhouse holds 250 or so tomato plants.  I was looking at the row of Sungold cherry tomato plants and my mouth started watering just thinking about eating them.  Can't wait!

Mary
Mary

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"