Author Topic: Getting ready to start my pond  (Read 3904 times)

Offline slackjeep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Photogallery
Getting ready to start my pond
« on: February 14, 2007, 03:45:38 PM »
We're finalizing our pond plans to hopefully get started soon.   8-)~ 

I want to get a bit a feedback before we actually start the dig.  Now let me preface this by saying that I have been perusing all the forums for years in an attempt to figure out what to do.  I think I finally have it down.  ::)

So let's start:

~ 3000 gals
10' diameter, 4' deep, 4" bd, skimmer, DIY mech filter, DIY Bio filter, UV, pump, back to waterfall and 2 TPRs.  Liner no rocks.  This will be a formal pond using blocks called Country Manor  http://rcpblock.com/photo_country_manor.htm#

The mech and bio filters are going to be 2 separate 65gal stock tanks.  The mech will have a prefilter using some type of pvc shavings or something similar.  the bio will be a moving bed type with air and I'm going to use bottle caps as the media.  I found a source of them for cheap.  I don't have drawings of the filter system yet but here's my crude overall pond plan.

comments, suggestions, questions welcomed.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 09:05:56 AM by slackjeep »
Dorys

Offline croft

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Getting ready to start my pond
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 05:02:32 PM »
I can't comment too much on the mechanics - just make sure your pump is adequate for the job and that the bottom of your pond slopes toward the drain. What I wanted to suggest is that you site your pond so that the waterfall can be viewed from the house, patio etc. - but you've probably thought of that already. Make sure you post lots of pics of the whole process :)
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Offline slackjeep

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Photogallery
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 02:15:07 PM »
Thanks Joanne.

Yes, the waterfall faces the house.  The house is on the bottom of the filter pit.  Entrance to the house is just to the right of the filter pit in my diagram.  The pump is a ~3600gph pump so it should be more than adequate for my pond and application.  I have a 2nd pump should I need to use it. 

I'm dying to get started already.  We only have the weekends to work right now and we keep planning other stuff to do. 
Dorys

Offline slackjeep

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Photogallery
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 09:51:55 AM »
We finally started the block wall portion.  Here are a few pics.

Before

and this is our General Contractor inspecting DH's work.   ;D

here is evidence that I am working.   :o

Once again, our GC hard at work

Unfortunately we'ver run out of block so the project is on hold for a while.  But at least we've gotten started!   @O@ @O@

Dorys

Offline mekoi

• Members
  • With us since: 27/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 01:07:32 PM »
Hi,

I'm no expert but if you're planing to keep koi in this pond from what I've seen so far you don't have enough biological filtration {:-P;; You should also run your skimmer in a separate filtration systerm ;)

Where are you planing to connect your UV?
Do you have air diffuser on your BD?
Drains in your filters?
Have you thought about using K1 or Bioflo9 as media?

Just my 2 cents :)

Offline slackjeep

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Photogallery
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 01:44:04 PM »
This is a watergarden and goldfish pond.  No koi.  o( o( o(

I know, I know, i'm tryng to combine two distinct styles of ponding into 1.  I've been studying this for 4 yrs and have finally come up with my plan.  It's not ideal, but hopefully I've incorporated enough flexibility to be able to change things as needed.   {:-P;;

-UV will be t'd off of the pipe after the bio filter, before the pump
-I have a diffuser on the BD, it will be plummed for air but I won't use it initially.  Lilies wont' like it.   {nono}
-filters have drains.  DH wants to use a pond vac to clean them out anyway so I can water the garden.
-K1, bioflow etc is very expensive. I need 4-6 cubic feet.  Way too much $$$.  I'm going to use plastic bottle caps for now.  I may supliment with B9 down the road. 

I am plumbing skimmer into the SC chamber, it is a direct flow.  there will be no basket in the skimmer.  That is why I have a prefilter in the SC to catch the floaties.   :D

« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 01:55:54 PM by slackjeep »
Dorys

Offline mekoi

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 01:48:51 PM »
This is a watergarden and goldfish pond.  NO KOI.

No probs, just my opinion :)

Good luck to your build anyway, and pls keep us posted O0

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 01:54:11 PM »
Slackjeep, that wall looks fantastic. I love the stone. Nice fence, too.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline slackjeep

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Photogallery
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 01:57:33 PM »
mekoi-i modified my post to take out the NO KOI and put in No koi.  But you beat me to it.   ;)

I'm a little sensitive from the koi forums.    :o
Dorys

Offline slackjeep

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Photogallery
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 02:00:56 PM »
Thanks Karen.  The fence was put in last year.  In case anyone is interested in block wall construction.  pics with no instructions that is.  http://www.pbase.com/slackjeep/front_yard_

The guys are some of our retired friends that had nothing to do on a hot saturday morning.  They insisted on helping.  Kinda weird if you ask me. 
Dorys

Offline mekoi

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 02:15:02 PM »
mekoi-i modified my post to take out the NO KOI and put in No koi.  But you beat me to it.   ;)

I'm a little sensitive from the koi forums.    :o

Hey................no probs at all, I'm 8)

Just keep the pics coming will yah ;)

Offline slackjeep

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Photogallery
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 02:32:19 PM »
well...we ran out of block this weekend.  we want to get a general idea of how much room the blocks are going to take before we start digging the big hole. 

so more pics are going to take a while.   :'(
Dorys

Offline mekoi

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 03:07:24 PM »
so more pics are going to take a while.   :'(

We can wait :D

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 08:14:06 PM »
Nice wall  :) Looking forward to seeing your progress..love the general contractor  o(:-)
(could I borrow your sweet retired friends??)

Offline slackjeep

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Photogallery
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 09:07:37 AM »
Mekoi-I added a pic of the filter system so you can see what I plan.  I will have to use ball valves to control the flow between the BD and Skimmer to the SC.  If that really fails, I can always plumb the skimmer to a second pump that I had planned to use for fail over (not shown in the pic).

Dorys

Offline mekoi

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 09:52:14 AM »
Looks good to me O0 If this is my pond, I'll put some brushes or jap matt in the skimmer coz you will only be trapping floating waste like leaves, twigs, etc then pump it back to waterfalls. I wouldn't restrict the flow in the BD but will definitely add valve in the BD and skimmer line so you can shut it off when you clean the filters. Keeping the BD line fully open will keep the pond floor clean :)

What are you planing to use as static media?

Offline slackjeep

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Photogallery
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 10:44:31 AM »
I had vascilated back and forth over the skimmer.  I wanted to have the skimmer pull floating debri into the largest chamber I could think of so we didn't have to clean it every day in the summer.  So I was going to use a pool skimmer modified with a 3" pipe and direct flow into the SC/prefilter. 

But the more I think about it, maybe doing a separate skimmer really is the best way to go.  I already have 2 pumps and it would mean less plumbing into the sc chamber.  The only problem is I really want a small foot print around the pond which a pool skimmer will give me. 

hmmm... back to the drawing board again. :thinking:

I plan to use pvc shavings as my static media.  easy to clean!!!
Dorys

Offline mekoi

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 03:27:25 PM »
Have a separate pump for the skimmer and you can connect your UV light there then back to pond via waterfalls. I have my DIY skimmer going to my SC...............but that's going to change this winter(our winter {:-P;;) I'll have it running in separate pump them goes to TT then gravity back to pond. PVC shavings is very good in prefilter O0 O0

Plan and do a lot of research. Do not rush, take your time and enjoy the pond build 8)

Like my mom said......do it right do it once ;)

Offline slackjeep

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Photogallery
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 04:39:18 PM »
I've been planning and researching for 4 years.  Do you think that is enough time?   :search:  ;D

Dorys

Offline mekoi

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2007, 04:13:22 AM »
I've been planning and researching for 4 years.  Do you think that is enough time?   :search:  ;D

{nono}

{:-P;;

You can never be to sure ;D

Offline slackjeep

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Photogallery
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2007, 10:01:34 AM »
you are so right!  that is why I'm still modifying.   {:-P;;
Dorys

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"