Author Topic: Anyone else longing for spring?  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Reedman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Anyone else longing for spring?
« on: January 26, 2013, 09:13:14 PM »
Anyone else longing for spring?    It's been extra cold here in southcentral PA.  My pond is snow covered too.

Today I bought a really nice 5" sarassa comet and put it in my 55-gallon tank.  It's going in the pond in April.
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else longing for spring?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 06:19:50 AM »
We'll be long a long time here.  Average last frost date is approx. April 25th or so.  I never set out plants til after the 1st of May.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 06:31:52 AM »
YES!!! I can't see my fish either, trying to keep a hole open in the ice.  It's going to be 32* today, and in the 40's for the next couple, so I should have a little melting going on.  But I am eager to get my fingers in the dirt!! The days are already getting a little longer, which has triggered my yearning for spring! I have seen robins already, and heard my first cardinals calling to each other early in the morning!!  8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline howardTheHumble

• Members
  • With us since: 30/10/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • HowardTheHumble's Aquatic Pages
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 01:30:41 PM »
It has been warmer then normal here as it is supposed to be cold this time of year.  Instead we have highs of 45 to 70s most days.  the ice is gone from my pond.    I seen the goldfish sunning a few days ago.   @O@

There is a lot I want to get done before spring.   I hope it does not come too fast.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 01:57:52 PM »
Yes and no....I need slightly warmer weather but I don't want to have the heat that comes near the end of Spring all the way to November.  I've decided I will restock my "koi" pond (old ones went to a new home with a way larger pond).  I will be keeping my eyes wide open in search of inexpensive varieties.

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 09:10:46 PM »
I am wanting spring, but still have more things to do to get ready for it. Still, would rather have early spring! :)

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 04:42:05 AM »
I'll take the heat over the cold any day.

Just three months to go!

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 11:22:20 AM »
It was 65* two days in a row this week, then down to 10* this morning with a windchill of -12*...and 4 inches of snow for tomorrow.  My fishes were swimming around and looking at me a couple of days ago--today; not so much...there's only a small hole open for now.  Oh well, spring will be here eventually, won't it?   :-\
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline migsly

• Members
  • With us since: 01/02/2013
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Love My Pond
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 05:15:39 PM »
I am longing for spring too. Even though I'm in Florida. We are having a cold snap at the moment. It was in the 70s. My fish are minnows in a small concrete pond. I cover the pond on cold nights just in case.

I guess your fish are wondering what happened. :o
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 05:17:54 PM by migsly »
Margo

Genesis 1:21
So God created the great sea creatures and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarm, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 11:22:52 AM »
Gosh LuAnn, our weather is so identical.  Last week we set two straight days of record highs.  It was 66 at midnight......really odd to set a record high at midnight.  We have two inches of snow on the ground and it is snowing lightly now.  It's really pretty out and the snow came slowly so it wasn't much of a problem with traffic, etc.  It was so light and fluffy that people were out with their leaf blowers clearing drives.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 12:06:48 PM »
I know Karen, it's weird but hubby has been using the leaf blower to sweep snow off the porch and steps! It doesn't work if it gets walked on by us or the dogs or cats!  I did put the floating stock tank de icer in last night and it melted weird where the element was sticking out of the water and melted the plastic on the up side!  It's ruined now, I'm afraid to put it in the water--it may shock the fish.  I will be going to TSC to get another one, this time I'll watch it before going inside to make sure it melts into the water the right way.

I still have terrible spring fever too!
LuAnn

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 01:02:47 PM »
LuAnn, a few years ago we made a de-icer out of pvc and a tote that I believe Esther posted pictures for.
I ran out in the snow and took a picture for you.  It uses a really low watt light bulb and works great!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 01:09:12 PM by Indiana Karen »

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 03:54:59 PM »
Wow, that looks like it would work nicely.  I think I remember seeing that a while back.  Thanks for reminding me!  :)
LuAnn

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 03:57:33 PM »
We put pond deicers in a few of our ponds before any ice forms. We also put it in the middle and have a rope on each side and center it and tie ropes onto rocks. No melting liners that way.

Offline tayana

• Members
  • With us since: 17/10/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 01:08:22 AM »
I'm so ready for spring.  We have had temps in the low 40F for the last couple of days. My pond was iced over about 70 percent before the warmer temps came and now ice on the pond is pretty much gone.  I now can see my fish that I haven't seen for about two months. Tonight I seen 11 of my 14 fish. :)  Sure hope the other 3 show up, they were hiders in the summer and since I haven't found any fish dead and floating I have hope that they are still alive.

Offline Pam

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Baby Doll lotus
  • With us since: 15/11/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 06:20:10 PM »
I am impatiently waiting for spring. The spring bulbs and some perennials are leafing up, so there is hope  O0
Pam

Offline migsly

• Members
  • With us since: 01/02/2013
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Love My Pond
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 06:55:01 PM »
It gets freezing sometimes in Florida but I just put a white shower curtain lining over it. It allows the light in but not the cold. And I think minnows are cold hardy anyway.
Margo

Genesis 1:21
So God created the great sea creatures and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarm, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"