Author Topic: I see some new Projects in my future!  (Read 4309 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I see some new Projects in my future!
« on: February 05, 2013, 12:03:10 PM »
If I can find some time to make it!!!

While shopping around in San Juan Capistrano's Old Town Los Rios District I found some great ideas.  I love browsing through the little cottages and all the usual and unusual nic-nacs for sale.

Love these little arrangements!  What do you think?

I will have to go through my succulents to pick some babies to make these with my collection of driftwoods (DH now has no reason to complain about all the dead wood I have all over the place.  :P

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I see some new Projects in my future!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 02:34:22 PM »
I love the hen and chicks

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 05:55:11 PM »
That's beautiful!  Still too cold here to do anything like that outside, but my hens and chicks are still where I left them in the fall (DH hasn't uprooted too many or the dogs either)!  They look so different in the winter, they get dark green and red--but in the summer they fill out and get bright green.  :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline migsly

• Members
  • With us since: 01/02/2013
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Love My Pond
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 01:29:20 PM »
Those are beautiful. You have good taste.
Margo

Genesis 1:21
So God created the great sea creatures and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarm, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 03:17:01 PM »
I have to wait until the weather warms up before I start taking baby succulents from their mothers  {:-P;; 

But speaking of Winter colors (thank you LuAnn) of these plants...here are a few of mine in their winter colors...

Some look like they are drowning from the constant moisture and frost.  Mother Nature has been turning the water on quite often this winter although it doesn't amount to filling our drought conditions by any means.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 03:19:07 PM »
And if you look carefully, very very carefully you can see some "chicks" under the "moms" in the photos above and below.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 03:26:47 PM »
This is what "sticks on fire" should look like in dry chilly conditions....It's pot is under shelter from rain.

So I go to H.D. to look for materials I may need to make my wood planters, I take a right turn down the plant aisle towards the succulents.  In the last photo is a plant that screamed out to me "TAKE ME HOME!!!  Welcome Opuntia Vestita Cristata to your new home!  Isn't she a cutie!?!

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 06:38:56 PM »
What a sight for sore eyes your photos are!   8) I think I could actually 'smell' them.  :)  I can't wait to do what you are doing right now~playing with my pots and perusing the plant places for new goodies! Your pics are awesome!!
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline migsly

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Love My Pond
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 05:04:18 PM »
In the last photo is a plant that screamed out to me "TAKE ME HOME!!!

lol. I had a pocketbook do that to me in Walmart. I am so glad it did because I get lots of compliments on it. :) Your pix are so good. Are you a professional photographer?
Margo

So God created the great sea creatures and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarm, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 06:59:57 AM »
Funny you would say that migsley~I've had purses do that to me too! And shoes! I was walking thru a store later in the summer season and this voice in my head said "make sure you walk down the shoe isle".  I found the cutest pair of sandals ever and everybody wanted to know where I got them.  You have to listen to the voices in your head!  ;)
LuAnn

Offline migsly

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Love My Pond
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 06:41:21 PM »
You have to listen to the voices in your head!  ;)
Yep, I live by that. LOL.
Margo

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 03:50:55 PM »
Thank you Ladies!  I was a good girl yesterday...had to take my niece and SIL to the mall....Put my "ear plugs" in and didn't hear anything calling my name  {:-P;;  DH was so surprised he was speechless!

I'm no photo pro but appreciate the compliment very much  o(:-)

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 04:51:43 PM »
I'm impressed Annette!  I can control these impulses but when I let loose well, it's scary! Earplugs wouldn't do me any good since the voices I hear come from the INSIDE! ::)
LuAnn

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 05:30:22 PM »
Now that you've posted all those nice succulents, I'm think of another project for spring...that is if I can find some more free rocks.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 08:22:51 AM »
Great pictures Annette, but that piece of driftwood planted with succulents is drop dead gorgeous!
I'm anxious to see your version.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 11:29:12 AM »
We have lots of rocks Sue, and they're all free!!  Hubby would be glad to be rid of them too... ;) Come on up!
LuAnn

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 03:09:07 PM »
Sue..ROCKS!  Ok, what's with the rocks?  Share your ideals....please.  I sure would love to have some large rocks in the garden as focal points  :P

Thank you Karen!  I still haven't collected enough baby succulents yet and I have to wait until I can make a list of things I need to use a coupon at the local nursery  O0

Weather is still freakin' cold and I do not want to mess with the baby succulents that are still attached to their mommies until it warms up.  Plus my fingers are too cold to play with small scale stuff!  Brrrr!

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 09:50:15 AM »
Very cool.  Succulents are such fun to work with. 

We love visiting the mission area of San Juan Capistrano..... or perhaps I should say I USED to enjoy those visits.   I made the mistake of suggesting we check out that huge antique warehouse and the Fetching Mrs. Mikey fell in love with a $500.00 antique secretariat hutch.  I thought we were safe since we had taken the Amtrak to San Juan and therefore we couldn't possibly take such an object onto the train....  She called our son at home to come on down with his pickup and that secretariat is now in our living room....  Our cheap date turned out to be pretty pricey... 

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline migsly

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Love My Pond
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 01:55:49 PM »
Sue..ROCKS!  I sure would love to have some large rocks in the garden as focal points

We have boulders in our garden and the sprinklers cause algae to grow on them. So we have green velvet boulders. ;D Some of them have weeds growing on top and they bloom. So it looks kinda neat in a novel way. I will take pix. Children might like that kind of thing for a "pet rock". They can put seeds on it and it will sprout flowers. :)
Margo

Offline dperry

• Members
  • With us since: 18/10/2012
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Don's Pond
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 04:29:04 PM »
Sue..ROCKS!  Ok, what's with the rocks?  Share your ideals....please.  I sure would love to have some large rocks in the garden as focal points

So, make your own -- any size, shape or color.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0D8F4E6D9B49EBA4

Don Perry
Don Perry  http://youtube.com/dperry428
Retired science teacher
BS, MS, Biological Science, NIU
Northern Illinois
Zone 5a

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 05:33:24 PM »
Hey Michael!!  Yeah...too much eye candy....the Fetching Mrs. Mikey sure thinks fast on her toes!  I love walking through that giant antique warehouse. 

There's also a newer store across the street from it that gives me so many ideals that my head could explode  :D  But I found a great light fixture that I also have plans of making my own.  It'll be smaller in scale than the possibly 5' wide size and much, much, much smaller price tag!  I plan to hang it outdoors under my patio cover.... that project just needs a little push for me to get it together.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 05:42:43 PM »
So we have green velvet boulders
  I like that!  It would do so well in the sun but in my shaded garden I love the look!  The concrete patio area near the house is turning green from all the rain and moisture this time of year.  I like it!  But it does go away when the weather warms up.

Offline migsly

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Love My Pond
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 05:44:30 PM »
Pretty light fixture, Annette. It really does look expensive.

That's a cool idea about homemade rocks, Don. Thanks for posting that link.
Margo

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 05:46:16 PM »
MAKE MY OWN ROCKS!?!  Ok Don....you RULE!  I'm going to study your video(s).  You make it look so simple.  Thank you!  I will add this to the MUST DO-list!  Man, the list is getting long!!!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 05:51:28 PM »
I can't tell you the price Migsly except that it has a 5 in it followed by 3 other numbers!  :o  That alone has made me determined to design my own with a few alterations...at a very small fraction of that price.  Like I said this shop does generate a lot of grrrreat ideals.  They seem to be doing well since the shop has been there for a few years since I came across its grand opening. 

Offline LynneNY

• Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 08:10:54 PM »
I love the first 2 pictures in this thread - such simple designs, yet so very nice! Gave me some good ideas of what to do with succulents - I am a sucker for hens and chicks and have a few varieties.

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2013, 05:53:36 AM »
I was in Lowe's on Saturday.  Their 'tender' succulents were $4 each or they had a pot of seven different ones for $12.98.  I bought the pot and took it apart.  I just have to remember to protect them through the winter.  All my other Hens and Chicks are hardy.

Offline ellisr63

• Members
  • With us since: 15/01/2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2013, 10:13:07 AM »
In the picture of the driftwood... What do you do drill holes in it to plant the plants?

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2013, 03:39:36 PM »
Sue...I've seen those variety pots at HD too and thought of doing just that!  Did that a few years back and had lots of new growths and divisions since.  I'll have to look around the yard to see where they are growing....hmmmm.

ellisr63....The driftwood in the top photos have naturally occurring crevasses, like a hollowed out area from rot or splitting.  That's my best guess.  I found similar driftwood from all over and plan to fill them with cactus mix soil; cover with sheets of moss (or similar) and use fishing line to hold everything down.  May have to use a few small nails along the edges of opening to criss-cross the fishing line.  Then plug in the succulents.  When life slows down and I finish all the important items on my 'list of things to do' I will get to this one!  Soon!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2013, 03:02:47 PM »
Here is a piece of wood I found in Yellowstone that I was going to use for a succulent arrangement.

Then, after a visit to a local Spring Gardening show I was able to purchase 5 air plants at a great price, I decided to put 4 of them into this piece of wood.  They just rest in the cavity since I need to soak the air plants once every few weeks in the pond.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"