Author Topic: Questions for Lotus Experts  (Read 1308 times)

Offline nmpondguy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/10/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • NM Ponguy's Watergarden Retreat
Questions for Lotus Experts
« on: February 12, 2013, 03:12:12 PM »
For many years I tried to grow lotus in containers outside the pond.  I guess it just gets too hot for that here in New Mexico, because it never worked.  Last year, I potted a lotus (Pretty Princess Peyton) and placed it in the pond - finally success:   Not only did the lotus grow, but it even produced three or four blooms. 

I read somewhere that I shouldn't remove dead leaves, because doing so could drown the lotus.  Now, that the pond has frozen over and thawed, can I remove the dead leaves? I guess I'll need to repot in the next 30 days or so, because Spring starts pretty early here  (low 60's in late February is not unheard of). Should I just leave the dead leaves be until then?

Thanks,
Phil aka NMPondguy

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for Lotus Experts
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 03:24:03 PM »
Congratulations, I have not had any lucky growing a lotus here in the hot windy Texas panhandle even in the pond.

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 10:53:39 AM »
Congratulations!
There are some who say cutting the dead leaves off will not hurt the plant, but for many years it has been said not to cut the leaves off because it will allow water to go down the inner part of the stem and into the tuber,and will rot the tuber. I cut the leaf stems off above the water line to prevent this, and do not have to worry about losing the plant from drowning.  Cutting the leaves off and leaving the stem won't hurt either, and then when you get ready to divide the tubers you can cut the stems off.
I raise my lotuses in tubs outside of the pond in large containers, 24" across and 12" deep, filled 1/2 with soil and the rest filled with water, but I am in zone 7. You might have better success getting your plant to bloom if you want to put it outside of the pond where it gets less sun, maybe shade half of the day. Put a pond ground cover in it to help keep from the sun from heating the water as much. Azolla, ductweed or water lettuce work great. In areas where they are legal, you can also use water hyacinth.

Offline nmpondguy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 06:04:57 AM »
Thanks SueSTx and matherfish.  It is also very windy here.  And my yard and pond are in full sun all day, so it gets really hot too.  Every attempt to grow lotus outside the pond resulted in a few surface leaves that eventually just melted. Was that due to the heat or bacteria - I don't know. Maybe after I divide the tubers, I'll try burying a pot outside the pond and add some duckweed and see what happens...

One year, it appears that my lotus pot exploded: I noticed that soon after planting, the soil was raising up in a dome - a little more each day.  Then one day I found the lotus tubeacrossss the yard and the soil and water was half as deep as the day before.  I didn't see it explode, but that's the only explanation I can think of.   :-\

Thanks again.

Offline matherfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 12:37:23 PM »
Burying the  pot in the ground may help keep the pot cool enough. As to the plant exploding, I do not know about that. If there were dead tubers rotting, then the gases produced might build up and  explode. Sounds   like something may have dug into the  pot, and carried out the tuber.                                                                                                                                                 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 12:41:41 PM by matherfish »

Offline nmpondguy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 10:05:07 AM »
The tuber was newly planted in a 24 gallon rope handled storage container: composted cow manure with a cup of osmocote on the bottom - clay soil on top of that  - tuber on top of that - and then covered with gravel and about 6 inches of water.  Over about a four day period, I noticed a dome forming in the soil.  Each day the dome got bigger. On about the 5th day, I went to check on the pot and found a much emptied pot and the missing tuber clear across the yard. Other than birds, I've never seen any wildlife around here except for the occasional roadrunner and rarely a coyote.  But who knows? :-\

Here's another question:  What do you think about me just leaving the lotus to grow in the pond for a second year?  I guess I'd have to fertilize once it started growing. But is there any reason not to do this?

Offline matherfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 03:35:48 PM »
You can leave the lotus in the pond for a second year. I generally do not divide my plants every year, but do divide them every two years. If your pot is big enough for the plant to remain healthy for a second year, it will not be a problem. If the plant is over crowded now, it needs to be divided.

Offline nmpondguy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 01:40:31 PM »
Thanks Matherfish.  I think I'll leave it in another year and see how that goes.  When and how should I start to fertilize it? As soon as it puts up leaves - arial leaves - after it blooms?

Offline matherfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 07:11:26 PM »
I feed mine as soon as they star putting up stem shoots.

Offline nmpondguy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 11:32:09 AM »
OK.  I'll do the same.  Many Thanks!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"