Author Topic: Hardy Tropical  (Read 3068 times)

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Hardy Tropical
« on: February 15, 2007, 01:50:45 PM »
I know Sean used the term first...at least as far as I have seen, but this plant might somehow fit the oxymoron.

This is a blue seedling that got left behind back in December from a batch of pink seedlings I was interested in.  It is in an uprotected pond and kept growing, the pinks I moved into a cold frame and I'm still waiting on them.<g>

Thing is we have been cold with a few stretches of nights in the 40's...even one in the low 30's...and the buds on this plant are still pushing to the surface.  I'm more use to seeing plants with buds out of water pull them back down in the cold or those underwater stall; I can't recall ever having one keep progressing to bloom.

Oh and the sepal damage....that's me.  I almost never can wait for the first flower to open, or even reach the surface<g> before I 'investigate'.  And it is not as blue as I expected it to be, leans more to a lavender at this stage.

Nothing earthshaking to be sure, but this time of year I'll take the first bloom on any seedling I can get.<g>

PS I guess I should mention the picture is cloudy because the bud(s) are still submerged.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: Hardy Tropical
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 02:16:44 PM »
OK...I'll take one! O0 (8:-) :D
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 05:12:10 PM »
Will you post a pic of the flower when it opens?  Love the variegated leaves . . . .

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 02:11:01 PM »
Lol....you know I will Teresa.  The bud is a little over 2" below the surface and this week seems as though it will be a good test.  I we are expecting a freeze tonight and night temps aren't suppose to get out of the 40's until the middle of next week

If all that don't stall of kill the bud...it deserves to have its picture taken.<g>
Craig     SW FL 9B

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 08:58:58 PM »
Hi Craig.  I was interested in your temps and the hardy tropical.  Recently, it has been only in the 30s during the days here, and down in the low teens at night.  However I have some tropicals in the greenhouse.  I am keeping the thermostat set on 45, and many nights and some days, that is as warm as it gets in there.  However, I have had a Daubin and an Islamorada send up buds and open, though the blooms were not very big.  I also have had an Albert Greenburg to send up buds, although the last two did not open.  The Albert Greenburg currently has a bud standing a couple of inches above the water, and looks like it may open tomorrow, but may not open.  The Daubin has a bud also out of the water.  They are in half barrel sized tubs.  Would the fact that they are above ground and capable of absorbing the days heat cause them to be trying to bloom?  I would assume he water temps would increase during the day, but would decrease at night.

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 10:25:19 AM »
Hi Frank,

Mostly this little 'project' is idle curiosity on my part.  I think the plasticity of the day bloomers has never really been explored.  Just in my little attempts at selecting, I've seen one grow and bloom steadily in 80% shade and now this one.  Water temp was 46F this morning and it still edged another .25 inch towards the surface.

But again just playing as I amuse easily.<g> I see big potential problems trying to market a lily, the 'improvements' of which are intangibles ( visually anyway).

But to answer your question.  Underwater growth of a lily and its buds is going to be largely independent of air temps...except as they obviously affect water temps.  There is a native population of N. lotus growing in thermal springs in Hungary(?), an area far to cold to grow native trops, let alone a heat loving night bloomer.

I have no idea what your water temp would be during the day, but in a greenhouse it is for sure to climb and in a small volume of water I'm thinking they get real warm, real fast.  My covered ponds are 21' X 6' X 18" and the water temp rises 15 F on a sunny day.  Of course,  you will also lose heat more quickly once the sun goes down.

But all in all, your water temp is obviously getting warm enough, long enough to form buds.  And for reasons I can't fathom, vivips do seem to be more cold tolerant.  Once the bud hits the surface, it is at the mercy of air temp as to whether it opens or closes.  Many times in the cold if they do opend, they never close.  More common in what I see, is the lily tries to pull them back down ( they get the "S" as though the pod is fertile) until the air temp warms enough to support a bloom.

Craig     SW FL 9B

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 11:17:55 AM »
You mentioned not closing, I had a Daubin bloom in December that stayed open for 8 days.  I thought the cold temps had something to do with that.  Was a small bloom though, only about 2".  Thanks, and your pictures are great.

Offline louis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 09:05:38 AM »
Hi Craig, looks interesting. i like the pads. i just love when a new plant blooms. its like Christmas morning all over again.

lou

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 01:13:59 PM »
The flower opened today and that was after a week of night air temps in the 30's ( 2 nights) and 40's.  So while the flower isn't impressive, I still think the lily's feat of producing it was.<g>
Craig     SW FL 9B

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 01:57:35 PM »
Hi Craig,

Sorry to see it is unimpressive, that is somewhat typical of what I get on a usual basis.

Any chance you could come up with some species tubers for me this spring? You sent me a bunch a few years back but I lost them all trying to propagate them prematurely.

I expect to be in LA in mid May if that is a helpful time line.

PLMK

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 02:32:11 PM »
Lol....no big deal.  Disappointing flowers are par for the course; besides it is fun to have a seedling bloom in Feb and there are others on the way.  Maybe one will be the 'Pink Midnight'.<g>

What are you looking for?  I have seed started that should tuber by may for caerulea, elegans and nouchali....though nothing sprouting yet on elegans.  Might have a rudgeana and/or prolifera....and of course colorata.  Aussies I haven't started yet but can if they are what you are wanting.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 07:39:24 PM »
Sean, of all people, you should know that with water gardening, patience is a requirement. Whether it be water lilies, lotus, or any other aquatic plant. ::) :)

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"