Author Topic: She's late!!! Got me wondering...  (Read 7924 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
She's late!!! Got me wondering...
« on: April 11, 2013, 03:44:10 PM »
What can happen in one week while I'm away in my Spring garden!?!  Lots!!!!!  The garden exploded in early Spring blooms!  Plus a big surprise that I didn't notice until last night while doing my dishes.  Just outside my kitchen window I saw this.....do you see it?

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: She's late!!! Got me wondering...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 03:45:12 PM »
Mrs. Hummie is nesting in the whirly wind hanging!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 03:54:11 PM »
She must be a new mommie she's so shy.  Had to take the photos from my kitchen window since she flew away whenever I went outside closer to the nest to take a photo.

I should mention that this is the second nest in this whirly.  After the last babies flew the coop I put a small fake bird in the old nest to prevent another dweller....this was about 2 years ago.  Guess fake bird lost over to the new Hummie, hehehe.  Fake bird is history.

When I noticed her away from the nest I decided to move the whirly thing away from over the BBQ.  I have been carefully moving the nest a little at a time away from its original location.  I then took a blind photo of the inside of the nest...Surprise!  TWO eggies!!! 

Love all the materials used in remaking this nest of a previous hummie nest.  I'm excited!  o(:-)

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 03:58:54 PM »
How precious! That is so cool. How is it that the hummies always come nest at your place?
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 04:07:56 PM »
Isn't it so cool!?!  The weather is slow to warm this year and I think it has also made the hummies late in nesting.  They're usually done having families by now, idk.  Believe me I'd rather they nest in the trees around the house but it is special when they come close to us.

Before I left at the end of March I was doing last minute tune ups in the garden and ponds before going away I remember thinking there were a lot of dive-bombing of hummies all over the place.  I just pray, while working, and hope they don't hit me  :D

My hummies love the flowers in my garden like blooming rosemary, sweet peas, succulent and cactus blooms, and many other perennial flowers.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 05:52:19 PM »
It's a smorgasboard for them Annette!  I will say I'm quite jealous of you always having hummies nesting where you can call them family.  Hummingbirds haven't even made it up here yet, as far as I know, but there's nothing for them to eat anyway! Great pictures and that's a beautiful nest!   8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 08:57:55 AM »
I'm so jellious! Ihave one that nests in my hunnysuckel arbor but to high up to see in. Still way to cold here for them tho.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 03:19:20 PM »
Thanks LuAnn!  Isn't the nest gorgeous!  Past years there were paint chips from an old gazebo that I had torn down last summer.  It's all about the hummie nest now.  Since the nest is just above my outdoor kitchen and I cook alot I am disrupting Mummie Hummie too many times.  I feel bad for her.  She is very skittish and flies off when I walk by, I'm so forgetful.  We watch her all day from the kitchen window.  At night we turn on the lights outside so we can spy on her....she's so sick of us nosy humans.

Lots of hummies are out there zipping in and about, even pulling in our Mummie out to play.  Lots of squealing and diving.  Pretty fun for us.

Noticing the rim of the nest getting higher....babies soon!?!?

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 03:20:48 PM »
Long time no see Debbie!  How are you?  Good to see you here!  Should warm up for you and hummies soon!

Offline ponderer

• Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 04:41:16 PM »
 ;DI am so happy for you. WE LOVE HUMMERS HERE. We will see them soon.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 06:59:54 AM »
Yes Annette, it's like a nest made by fairies: lichen and spiderwebs and soft downy material! The colors are beautiful. I thought of you today when I found a mommy robin making a nest on top of my porch pillar.  I will be able to watch her babies grow from the living room window!!   o(:-)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 01:21:09 PM »
Annette, very lovely pictures of the hummies.   @O@  We are having some weird spring weather here in KS.  Temp was nice for a couple of days then plunged into freezing cold weather.  I was going to open the pond last weekend but weather just took a turn for the worse and we had ice storm!  I have sick kids and people in the office are coughing up a storm!  A lot of broken branches from this ice storm and we are still cleaning up.  I just feel really bad for the older trees on our new property.

I need some nice spring weather so I can open the pond, plant some pretty flowers, and prep for the move.

Kuan

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 10:48:20 AM »
Hi Ponderer!  Kinda in my own world when I read in disbelief that it's still so cold elsewhere.  Here's hoping you all warm up soon....It's the middle of April for crying out loud!  Spring is almost over here and the dreaded heat of summer is moving in!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 10:51:59 AM »
LuAnn, ROBINS!!! AND a NEST!!!  Now I'm jelly.... I so miss seeing robins here.  I was in Lake Tahoe a couple of weeks ago and I have never seen so many fat robins in a very long time.  I loved watching them building nests and looking for that early worm.  Now you have to share photos of your robin family!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 10:54:19 AM »
Kuan, didn't I see in the weather you are getting giant hail storm or was that snow!!!!?????  Yikes!  Hope it warms up soon for you so you can get to working on the new farm pond (Jea-lous!)

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 08:07:18 PM »
Kuan, didn't I see in the weather you are getting giant hail storm or was that snow!!!!?????  Yikes!  Hope it warms up soon for you so you can get to working on the new farm pond (Jea-lous!)

Annette, we didn't get much hail but we had the ice storm!  Everything was encased in ice. One of the river birch branches broke because it was so heavy and the wind was blowing crazy! Good thing it didn't break our neighbor's fence and deck. They called us to go pick up the broken branch from their yard!

It was in the 40s today and raining off and on all day long.  I need some nice Spring weather. The way it's going, we might skip Spring and go straight to Summer!

Enjoy your CA weather!

Kuan

Offline 2vetts

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 09:58:19 AM »
1] we have that same spinning thing . 2] trade you the dove that is nesting on our porch plus a blue heron for your hummer and i'll pay both shippings .

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 02:12:30 PM »
Wow!  You had to go over to your neighbor's to pick up your trees broken branch!?!  I guess my neighbor's over aggressive Climbing rose into my yard is not my problem....I wish.  I just cut it back myself until she gets around to trimming it once a year.  The roses literally climb through my orange tree and blocks out the sun for it (really fast growing and thick vines! I know she fertilizes like crazy). 

Hoping the weather warms up soon for you.  We've been getting a lot of windy days which I don't remember this time of the year before....but then again my memory is very selective!!!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 02:16:13 PM »
2vetts....LOL, literally.  You made my day.  AND NO I will not trade, I'm selfish like that.

As I have mentioned its been very windy the past few weeks and poor Hummie Mummie is getting tossed and turned in the spinning thing. I hung a wire hanger bent to stop the spinning.  Still twists a bit in the wind.  Can't wait til the eggies hatch.

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 07:09:02 AM »
Annette, how long does it take for the eggs to hatch?  I'm waiting to see if the babies are here yet and may be some pics of them.  :) How's the weather so far?  Can't be as bad as ours here.  After a few days of almost Spring like weather, we are back to Winter  >:(-.  High today is forecasted to be in the mid to upper 30s.  Below freezing tonight.  The weatherman did say that this is the last cold snap and we will be on our way to Spring... or Summer.

I'll keep checking back to see if you post any pics of the new babies later.

Kuan

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 12:55:14 PM »
Sorry Kuan!  Been busy this weekend with unscheduled events, everything good.

Ok the exciting news is "IT'S GONNA HATCH REAL SOON!!!!!"  Yah, I'm excited!  Yesterday I saw Mummie Hummie fly off and I ran to check the eggies out and this is what I saw!!!!!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 01:06:02 PM »
Can you see!?!  Eggie on top of pic is showing!!!  I've never seen this happen before...hopefully it's a good thing.  I can see dark coloring which could be the feathers and the body pressing against the shell.  Mummie is flying in and out building the nest higher...I see her bring small fluffy downy feathers and tuck them into the nest.  Also making Mummie nervous is a new Sparrows nest, I missed, getting built in the patio cover!!! No!!!! Right over my wok burner!  She tries to scare them away when they land too close to her.

Here is the new Hummie Buffet I just bought for her.  I have the tube feeders that I stupidly forgot to wash from last year and block mold grew in them.  Difficult to wash out.  Then I saw this feeder when I was buying veges to grow at the nursery.  Mummie loves it.  I refill with a lot less liquid now since I have to clean it out every other day - weather warm and the sugary liquid is more prone to spoil.  Lots of real nectar just below her too.  No one will fight her for these ones!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 01:08:39 PM »
Some more dinner food in the garden...

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2013, 01:23:47 PM »
It all looks great Annette!
I saw a hummer pass by a couple weeks ago, I hope it remembers the pond and comes back.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2013, 01:28:05 PM »
I was in San Diego over the weekend...on my drive back this is what I saw in Carlsbad...Ranunculus fields blooming like crazy!!!!  An annual event I love to see as I pass by on the freeway when I visit my DB and his family.  This time I got off the freeway to catch a burger for lunch.

Can you imagine a view like this from the burger joint!?!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 01:32:06 PM »
Thank you Sean!

Kuan, I can't remember how long it takes for the eggs to hatch.  Will have to look it up, but I think it's like 3 weeks or so.  It's about that time!!!!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
Hatched!!!!
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 03:51:23 PM »
Baby Hummie #! HATCHED!!!!  Not totally surprised but soooo happy to see this little squirming body.  MUmmie is busy feeding baby too.  Expecting second egg in about 2 days!  Soooo Cute!!!!

Photo is the reflection of nest from a small mirror I use to view the eggs quickly and without a chair when Mummie leaves the nest to feed.

You getting this Kuan!!  It's magic!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2013, 03:53:48 PM »
Forgot to mention that the baby was born very recently because the egg shell is still in the nest.  An experienced Mummie would have already discard the shell already....on my patio and make a mess!  Heheheh!

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2013, 08:23:20 AM »
Lucky you to share in this!  I always look forward to seeing your pics.
We have a "nest" of six foxes in an old barn.  I will try to post pics soon.

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2013, 09:33:06 AM »
Ooohhhh... very excited, Annette!  @O@ So glad to see a new baby already!  You have beautiful flowers as always!  That mirror sure comes in handy and definitely less disturbing to the hummies.  With the winter lasting so long here, I have not seen any sign of our hummies coming back yet.  I will miss them dearly when we move to the farm house.  I hope I can attract some hummies there.  Need to plant lots of hummy flowers and place those sugar water strategically around the house and close to the wooded areas.  Our neighbors are always jealous of our hummies.  The older couple across the street from us kept trying for the last don't know how many years but never had any luck attracting them.  They even questioned if we saw the moth hummer or the real hummies.  We showed them the pictures and now they know we have the real deal!   lol

Thanks for the pictures Annette.  Sure makes me smile! :)

Kuan

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"