Author Topic: want to trade lotus for blooming size tropical/ tropicals...a few for postage  (Read 3981 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I am looking to trade lotus for blooming size tropical.  I have baby doll, momo botton ?? spelling :), russian red, birthday peach and little golden phoenix. Possibly also have a few to give for postage plus paypal fees.   Let me know what ones ya have for trade if interested.

TInk

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Tink sends really nice lotus tubers  O0
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Tink, I killed Baby Doll last year. I'd love to buy one from you again. I seem to be lotus and tropical waterlily death. Even though I have a heated pond in my heated greenhouse. I have yet to keep a single one alive over winter.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
Darn!  Wish you could get one to overwinter.. she is such a beautiful lotus.  and for me covered with blooms.  My lotus that have big ponds to room free in do not bloom as much as she does in a whiskey barrel.  Have you tried overwintering her outside?  Mine freeze, zone 6 and they are fine.  I have sold some through over venues and I believe I dont have a baby doll left but will check tomorrow and see if theres another in the barrell I could persaude to come out.  I have another very small bowl lotus, alot smaller than baby doll that is suppose to be beautiul, I have just never gotten her to bloom yet but have moved her this year to more ideal conditions..  Got her from maria and she is chinese bowl.  If ya wanna try one, I just want shipping and can check tomorrow on baby doll.

Tink

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Sure, I'll try whichever small one you have. I put them in big pots but maybe I should put the pots outside for winter and just bring in early. I know the Chinese Garden and Hughes Water Gardens both keep their lotus in heated ponds/greenhouses though. It isn't hot enough or sunny enough here to get to them to bloom otherwise.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
I am gonna get one of the chinese bowl lotus.  I dont think I can get another baby doll out without risking leaving one unbroke for me.  I will aim for monday mail since your so far away from me.

I bet it is hard to garden in your area.  I never knew what your weather was like till my daughter got into the "twilight" movies hehehe.  will let ya know monday when I get her mailed ;)

tink

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
I haven't seen those movies but if the weather was mostly grey, gloomy, cloudy and raining then that is the truth.... :(

do you want a check or PayPal for the postage?
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Bob_A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Tinkster, if you have 3 extra lotus (mixed, your choice) , I'd be interested.

Thanks

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
Leann.. yep it was very grey.. twilight was about vampires and they lived in forks, washington becasue they could not be in the sunshine hehee...   Paypal is fine.

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
Bob.... I am probably gonna have 3 left.  I charge shipping and whatever paypal fees will be.  Will let ya know something first of the week.

Tink

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
And I nheed a addy leeann.. I can never find from where I shippe3d before.

Offline Bob_A

• Members
    • View Profile
Thanks Tink.

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
Forks is more like Vancouver where I am since this is where it was filmed but yes, winters in Portland are very much like here in Vancouver and northern Washington but summers in Portland are HOT!!!  When I met LeeAnne in person 12 or 13 years ago during the IWGS symposium in Portland it was Hot as Hades...

LeeAnne, I think we both need to try lotus without any protection to be successful. My pond is too hot for them and your greenhouse is too hot for them.
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
I'm trying to grow a lotus one more time this summer.  I really have come to the conclusion that our 10% humidity and 20 mph winds on 100* days is just too much.  I have never even had an aerial pad.  They will survive, but not thrive.

This time, I put my  35 gal container on a stand inside the tank hoping that the moving water will be a touch cooler than the hot air around a pot.  I was also hoping there would be more humidity next to the  filter/outlet.  There is a bit of late evening shade, but still 10 to 12 hours of sunlight.  So far the tuber has survived two surprising hard freezing spells.  I have the pot covered with clear plastic.  The tuber is rooted down.  I'll see what happens.  If I can get aerial pads this summer, maybe a bloom next summer.  I will not be dividing it next spring.

If I can make this work, I love some more next summer.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
We have five or six hot days a year up to 100*. It is cloudy until after July 4th and starts again in September. There are usually some really hot days in May, Aug and September.  Probably less than twenty over 80* the entire year.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
Sean I think you might be right.  THe first year I started lotus I was so scared they would not winter over that I put them in cold dirt floor basement and not one of those survived.  I think they rot. I also would cover my pots with bags of leaves for extra protection.. those lotus made it but when I would devided in the spring lots of the tubers would be molded and squish in my hand.  I never have that now that I just leave them alone in the cold :)

Sue... we have had two brutal summers since I been doing lotus.  all brutal to me but two that was probably comparable to yours with 100 degrees for weeks on edn.  I bury my lotus tubs  deep in the ground, below ground level.  they really stay cool.  even my  fishies dont get to hot in the few inches of water the pots get.

Joy

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
and sean... if my daughter knew you lived where they filmed her "all time favorite, earthy moving  love story" I would be asking if we could come visit :)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Tink, I emailed you my address through the forum.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Received safely, thank you Tink!  @O@
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Bob_A

• Members
    • View Profile
Got mine today, Tink.
They all look great.

Thanks again.

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
great thanks for letting me know.. Leanne... I am counting on you to get a bloom out of this lotus so I can finally see it.  I would have tossed any other flower/plant by now but I want to see what she looks like so bad and she is so very tiny and cute :)

and forgot to tell you.. all these year I have drooled over your blue eyes grass.  I think I finally found one that might be the same as yours.. its  sisyrinchium lucerine blue star.  hoping it is since I remeber thinking yours blooms most or all the summer.

tink
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 04:08:03 PM by tinkster »

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
I can send you one ya know. They are really small now but later this summer I can divide again.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline waterlily808

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/06/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Hi tink

I've been sending you messages about some lotus for postage. Still waitin for your reply. Let me know. Thanks

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
Hey there.. IM sorry so slow.. have had sooo much going on.  I think I will have 3 for you.  I just havent had time to sort through them all.  My problem is they are so out of dormacy with long leaves and tips  going every which way that I have to find one that is fairly straight so I can ship it without the box having to be huge and so that it wiont be as likely to break the tips.   I will aim to ship Monday, so Sunday I will start trying to box up 3 that will fit and let ya know then so you can paypal. 

tink

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
Leeanne... I am hoping mine is like yours.. I will know I guess if it doesnt bloom all summer.. If its doesnt then maybe I can get one of yours :)  HOpefully this one will.. tag says summer blooming :)  it is adorable though!

tink

Offline watergardenwill

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 08/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Thanks they looked great

Offline Pam

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Baby Doll lotus
  • With us since: 15/11/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Tink,
  The Baby Doll that I got from you last year bloomed for me in August. Please excuse my messy containers  ;)

She made it overwinter although it was hard to just leave her out in the cold like that  :)
Pam

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
she is so pretty huh!  kind of surprised she made it above ground.  You must not have very cold winters? 

tink

Offline Pam

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Baby Doll lotus
  • With us since: 15/11/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Not too cold this past winter, we may have gotten to 24 a couple of nights. The pot is sunken about 8 inches into the soil. The water in the pot did freeze once for a couple of days. She was slower to wake than the Little Golden Phoenix but has a dozen aerial pads now. I will probably need to divide both of them soon but I *think* that is done before they begin growing in the spring, right?

Did those cannas bloom for you?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 04:03:38 AM by Pam »
Pam

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
I just got through deviding all of mine but was late this year doing it.  I think if your wanting to devide to share tubers you would lose alot more after there out of dormacy.  I have never devided as late as when they have arial pads but all the my lotus this year where poking through the dirt and I could see a few floater pads. They really are a tuff animal to kill out.  I have one pond I am changing over to a lily pond this year.  I have pulled them out, chopped up the entire pond with a shovel. replanted with a lilly and I still have lotus coming up  :)
Yes I love the cannas!  Iam getting ready to plant them up this year and I am going to put them in a old metal tub I have :)

Tink

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"