Author Topic: Getting rid of ants!  (Read 1293 times)

Offline croft

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Getting rid of ants!
« on: February 17, 2007, 05:57:15 PM »
This isn't exactly gardening but more pest related. I was looking forward to spring and the gardening season and then I remembered all the red ant nests in my gardenbeds and near the rocks around the pond. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how I can get rid of them or at least cut back on their numbers? I believe some call them fire ants.
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Getting rid of ants!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 06:08:58 PM »
The do it yourself pest control store sells something that will get rid of them - it forces them to move their hill.  But you have to treat your entire yard or they'll just move from one spot to the next.  It's ideal if you can get the neighbors to treat at the same time and then they'll leave the entire neighborhood . . . don't recall what it is, but DH used it and it worked.  It's not a pesticide or at least not as bad for the environment as some . . . at least that's what we were told.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 06:33:44 PM »
If you are in zone b, they aren't fire ants.
Fire ants are tropical/subtropical.

When Fire ants bite, feels like someone is holding a lit cigarette to your skin.
Feels like a hot coal, not something biting you.

Like Teresa said: Best way to get rid of them is to treat the entire yard.
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline andrew davis

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 09:26:15 PM »
Place a solution of 5% boric acid and 95% sugar/honey water, place it in a weather proof position close to where the ants can find it, the ants will swig up the mix, take it back to the nest and the feed they regurgitate will kill the pupae and the Queen that lays the eggs

Take care butterflies and moths, beneficial critters don't get at the bait

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 04:59:17 AM »
There is a product named Award that works well here for fire ants ( labeled for ants as well).  It is an IGR, so takes a few weeks to work as the colony is depleted, but when they are gone...they are gone and not just relocated.  It sterilizes the queen(s).
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline croft

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 09:07:33 AM »
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Teresa, I may have to check out the pest control stores. Joyce, they may not be fire ants but they are small and red and when they bite it really hurts quite a bit. It leaves a red welt that will become itchy and it lasts for quite a few weeks. Andrew I have tried the boric acid mixture and it seems to attract a few. Maybe I have to keep renewing the solution more often. I don't know if they are very attracted to sweet substances though... I've seen them attacking earthworms... maybe they are "meateaters" :). Craig I'll see if "Award" or something similar is available here in Canada.
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 09:33:49 AM »
Catnip will repel black ants.  Don't know that it would be very practical in your situation though.  My in-laws used to have a big infestation of ants in their tent trailer each spring when they opened it up.  Someone told them to pick catnip and put it inside the tent trailer when they put it away for the season.  They did that and no more ants until one year when they decided that the problem had been taken care of and didn't bother.  Next spring the tent trailer was full of ants.  emm

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline croft

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 05:50:50 PM »
Emm, I've always wanted to plant some catnip :). Thanks for the links, Joyce, lots of suggestions there for me to try!
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"