Author Topic: Paperwhites  (Read 1232 times)

Offline croft

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Paperwhites
« on: February 18, 2007, 09:15:45 AM »
Does anyone know how to save the bulbs to use next winter. I think mine have finished blooming. Do I just leave them until the leaves have turned brown then take them out of the pot cut off the leaves and store dry until next Dec. or so?
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Paperwhites
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 09:28:41 AM »
I normally let the leaves dry down and then plant them outside in the spring.  They won't flower again outside this spring but they will flower the following spring and forever thereafter. 

I don't know for sure but I suspect that you could store them in slightly damp peat moss in a cool and dark location once they have dried down.  As long as the bulbs remain firm they should be okay.  To get them to flower again next year you need to take them out of storage about 3.5 - 4 months before you want them to bloom and chill them for about 3 months before they will be ready to bloom again.

Hope this helps.  emm

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 10:20:53 AM »
I keep mine in the ground and only remove them every three or four years to divide.  I've read that the green tops should not be trimmed until they start turning brown.  Something to do with the bulbs storing energy and making the bulb healthier.  They must not require too much of a chill because I live in zone 10 and mine bloom every year.  We attend Spring Garden tours and sometimes we will see where some gardener take the time to braid the leaves of their paperwhites to make them look more presentable.  Since I must have several dozen clusters of paperwhites, I would have a lot of braiding to do..... :o
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 09:34:09 AM »
If you are talking about forced Paperwhites, grown in water/rocks or even potted in soil, they usually won't force again. You should plant them outside and then start over with fresh bulbs next winter. 
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline croft

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 05:57:55 PM »
Thanks everyone. I didn't even realize that they could be hardy here. They were forced bulbs that I received for Christmas. I think I will plant them outside. If they come back for Emm they should for me too. And Mikey I will not be braiding the leaves :).
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 06:31:56 PM »
I've never been able to get them to survive outside . . . . even for one season . . .

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"