Author Topic: Property pics - we are calling it home soon!  (Read 3018 times)

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
Property pics - we are calling it home soon!
« on: May 03, 2013, 06:50:42 AM »
We purchased a 9.5 acres property last summer.  A farm house came with the property.  It also has a 5-stall horse barn and a big mud pond.  We are moving to the farm house end of this month.  DH and I are planning on a new pond for our fish since the mud pond will be used to house the farm fish.

Here are a few pics I took and strangely enough, I didn't take a pic of the mud pond.  It really was aweful looking because of the draught and the previous owners were horsey people so they didn't care much for the pond.

(Annette - you requested pics and here are some for you but no pond pics yet).

Pardon the mess - that was the chickens' first day home.

Can you see my sheltie checking out the property?  :)

Kuan

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Property pics - we are calling it home soon!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 07:53:05 AM »
First thing I noticed...it's green.

I can hardly remember green grass.  This is looking like summer #3 of our drought.

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 07:58:31 AM »
Sue, it was green even with the draught we had the last 2 years (I took the pics last year).  But we have had lots of rain this year (and snow too) and everything is turning up greener by the day!  Hope you get some much needed rain soon.  The winter seems to drag her heel much longer this year and I'm still wearing my winter coat today!   :o

Kuan

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 01:01:46 PM »
WOWOWOWOW!!!!!   8-)~ 9.5 acres....Sooo MUCH ROOOOOMMM!!!!!!  Are you kidding me!?!  This is fantastic!!!  Thank you for the photos, Farmer Kuan!  Love your chickens!  You have to tell us more about them.  Especially since I can't have chicks  :-\

Farm fish pond? Incredible!  Talk about green pastures, so wonderful.

Ok, only four photos?  Hows about the other 9.4 acres?  Lucky lady!

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 11:35:35 AM »
LOL Annette. I'll have to post the other 9.4 acres after we move in.  :) The chickens are awesome. They come running when the car pulls up to their coop.  I really love the Salmon Faverolle chickens.  They are the yellow roosters and light brown hens in the picture. They have mellow and sweet personality. I have recently bought more salmon f. chicks from a breeder. So far I think I have 3 roosters from the chicks and at least 2 or more hens. I've converted the first horse stall into a chicken coop. If I get more chicks, I'll have to convert the 2nd one into a coop as well. The rest of the stall will be retained as horse stalls for horses in the future. We've lots of plan for this property. Just need $ and time.  ;D

We'll be working on getting the pond dug after we move in. Just dont have time to do it now. Once we get the existing pond enlarged, I'll get more pictures.

On a sad note, I saw an egret flying off of my current pond. One of my shelties scared it off. I have never saw one dipping into my pond to eat my fish before!!! Very scary to say the least. I'm just glad my dog noticed it and barked!

Kuan

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 01:43:36 PM »
Congratulations, how exciting for you.  @O@

Looks like you have some nice outbuildings to fill up.  Maybe you can get a cow!!!!!!!!! I have always wanted cows.  We had them thirty years ago and I miss them............gosh, I'm old.  :-\

Your chickens are beautiful.  We need to bite the bullet and get more.  Three chickens aren't really worth messing with.  The ones we have for meat will be in the freezer before long.  I wish now we had gotten some layers at the same time........some pretty ones like yours.  ;)  I would also like a rooster so I could hear it crow in the morning, but I'm afraid it would upset my girls to add one now, and I would probably end up with a mean rooster.  {nono}

You will have a busy summer getting settled in!

Karen

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 06:28:29 AM »
Karen, not sure we will get a cow.  But we are contemplating on a couple of horses so the kids can ride them and learn some responsibilities.  Talking about chickens, we just processed a couple of roosters (we have too many) yesterday and the soup was delicious!  We are lucky that the little suburb the farm is in doesn't require permit to raise chickens.  The surrounding burbs are all requiring them and limit how many chickens you can raise and no roosters.  I got bit by the chicken math and now I have over 50 chicks and chickens.  {gasp}  8-)~

Yes, get some laying hens.  The eggs are just awesome!  Haven't bought any eggs from store since early this year after they started laying more.  I even have enough to sell them to coworkers!

Kuan

Offline howardTheHumble

• Members
  • With us since: 30/10/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • HowardTheHumble's Aquatic Pages
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 08:06:06 AM »
Very cool Kuan.   

You need to name the place.   
Time to buy a tractor!

We can't have chickens in town but we get our eggs from the people my wife farm sits for.  They are sooo much better then store eggs.  One hen lays green eggs.

Sue please tell me that this brown stage will pass. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 08:16:59 AM by howardTheHumble »

Offline ponderer

• Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 08:27:52 AM »
We have a big black roo like yours. We have no idea what type he is . He was a rescue.

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 08:50:26 AM »
Very cool Kuan.   

You need to name the place.   
Time to buy a tractor!

We can't have chickens in town but we get our eggs from the people my wife farm sits for.  They are sooo much better then store eggs.  One hen lays green eggs.

Sue please tell me that this brown stage will pass. 

No name for now... will need to think about it though.  As for the tractor, we just bought one 2 weeks ago and DH has been playing with this new toy, moving mulch, compost, tree branches, etc.   lol  We love our fresh eggs.  My coworkers keep coming back for more.  They said the yolks are deep orange color and taste much better.  I'm glad you guys enjoy the farm eggs too!  

We have a big black roo like yours. We have no idea what type he is . He was a rescue.

The black rooster in the pic is a Blank Jersey Giant rooster.  He was a really good rooster but he is now in the freezer camp.  We have way too many roosters and our hens have been beaten up pretty badly so we now only have 2 and the rest are hens.

Kuan

Offline ponderer

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 09:13:10 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Your property is awesome !!  When looking up Jersey Giant I came upon Black Langshans and that is what our "Big Ben" must be . He has feathery feet with red/pink soles .

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 06:22:54 PM »
Very nice indeed.
In so cal you would be multi millionairs with a great ptoperty like that.
Envious, but not green!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 04:47:58 AM »
HTH...we did get a whiff of moisture in the air yesterday.  Weather is showing a better chance for today....yeah right up to .25"...that will evaporate before the sun goes down.

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 09:56:33 AM »
Looks wonderful. I LOVE chickens. :) I would love a nice big place like that.

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 10:40:15 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Your property is awesome !!  When looking up Jersey Giant I came upon Black Langshans and that is what our "Big Ben" must be . He has feathery feet with red/pink soles .

Oh Blank Langshans are great roosters!  They protect the flock well and sound off alert as soon as they detect predators.  Definitely a keeper!   O0  Didn't realize that Blank Langshan has feather feet.  The Salmon Faverolles pictured above are also feather footed. 

Kuan

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 10:42:27 AM »
Very nice indeed.
In so cal you would be multi millionairs with a great ptoperty like that.
Envious, but not green!

Thanks Jerry.  Kinda hard to imagine us as multi millionarie and we certainly are not.   :)  Here in the Great Plains, we have plenty of flat land, just no mountains.  If we can get lands near or at the flint hills, the prices go up quite a bit.

Kuan

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 10:49:46 AM »
HTH...we did get a whiff of moisture in the air yesterday.  Weather is showing a better chance for today....yeah right up to .25"...that will evaporate before the sun goes down.

So any raindrops yet?  Forecast is calling for rain just about everyday for the rest of the week!  I am just glad that Spring has finally sprung and the temp is slowly climbing to the 70s during the day.  Sure hope you get some rain in your area.  Apparently we are still in the drought, just got upgraded from Extreme/Exceptional drought to severe drought or something like that.  According to the hydrologist, we still have a long way to go even though we are getting good rain.  I assume your area is included in the Extreme/Exceptional drought zone and with only so little rain, might be suffering again this year, unfortunately.   :(

Kuan

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 10:52:46 AM »
Looks wonderful. I LOVE chickens. :) I would love a nice big place like that.

Thanks Nancy.  This will be our forever home so there are lots of projects to be done with the house and also the property.  Always never ending projects when it comes to owning a house.   :o ::)  Hopefully in a few years, we will have some of the dream projects come true.  Of course a bigger fish pond will have to be on top of the priority list.   ;D

Kuan

Offline ponderer

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 03:57:29 PM »
He is that and more! Does not like me. I love his girls too much! I am an adversary! Oh well, too bad for me!

Offline howardTheHumble

• Members
  • With us since: 30/10/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • HowardTheHumble's Aquatic Pages
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 05:35:14 AM »
  Hopefully in a few years, we will have some of the dream projects come true.  Of course a bigger fish pond will have to be on top of the priority list.   ;D

Kuan
Longer wider deeper. :)

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 08:06:50 AM »
  Hopefully in a few years, we will have some of the dream projects come true.  Of course a bigger fish pond will have to be on top of the priority list.   ;D

Kuan
Longer wider deeper. :)

Ahhhh... yes... you read my mind.   ;D

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 12:34:45 PM »
Hope this is not hijacking the thread. A pal of mine is moving to Lake of the Ozarks. He will have a home on the lake with a dock and a few acres.  I salivate!
You have a lovely place, enjoy!  I know the rooster will!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2013, 12:04:09 PM »
Jerry, Lake of the Ozark... that must be in MO. It is a very lovely place if I remember correctly. A coworker of mine goes back to MO every summer, taking her grand kids with her camping out there.  If you do come by this way, do stop by.  :)

Kuan

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2013, 02:58:32 PM »
Hi Kuan

I sure would.  Marty left  for MN yesterday then to KC where he will drive to Lake of the Ozarks.  He has two places he is keen on.  If I ever learn my new computer I will post photos!

Both are on the lake and have docks!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"