Author Topic: Do You Like Legos? Update 3-13!!!  (Read 4015 times)

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
Do You Like Legos? Update 3-13!!!
« on: February 18, 2007, 07:44:58 PM »
We've got cabin fever here, so I dug out my old Legos and have been having lots of fun with the kids. Most of my Legos are from the mid '70's, with a few new added sets. I love the newer windows and roof pieces.
We are having so much fun, and my daughter and son are not fighting, arguing, pushing, hitting, etc  :)  It's just nice family time.

Do you like Legos? And if so, what types do you like (Creator, Space, Star Wars, Bionicle, etc)?

If you don't like your Legos, you can sell them to me!  :D

My favorite is architecture. I love building houses, castles, any kind of building. Right now, we are all working on a little "village". It's perfect for our family- Kevin and Matthew build the cars and fire trucks; while Laura and I build the houses & gardens.

I know, you probably think I'm nuts.  :D :tease:
But this is fun! We are "re-living our childhood".
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 10:50:54 AM by karen J »
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Like Legos?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 04:35:41 AM »
I never got into Leggos but have spent many an hour making a village out of popsicle sticks with my son and the neighbor boys in our garage years ago. My son is 38 now and was around 8-10- then. You're a good mom to play with your kids.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 07:26:12 AM »
Karen,

I still have all of my boy's legos.  When they were young, they got them for every Christmas and Birthday.  My favorite was their train.  I also remember Star Wars and Pirates.  Last winter we had friends over and I got out the legos for their son to play with.  The train was still put together and he immediately pulled apart every piece, then didn't even play with it.  Kinda made me sad  :(cause my kids had put it together so many years ago :'( but thats the way it goes with Legos :D

We took them to Mall of America once to see Legoland.   Our boys also had a lot of fun with Construx, in fact they played with them more than legos.  I don't think they make Construx anymore.

I have a friend that buys the old lego sets on ebay.  Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!
Karen

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 07:31:41 AM »
My younger daughter is into the Mindstorm robotics by Legos.  It is amazing to watch her drawing flowcharts and doing rudimentary programming, not to mention the amount of work that goes into building the actual working structure.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 08:15:46 AM »
I don't have kids so I personally don't have any Legos.
A couple of weeks ago I went to a week long firefighting class and the one instructor used Legos for a communications exercise we did. He split us into two groups and gave the one group a Lego project he had already put together. The second group got the second set of Legos and the first group had to verbally explain to us how to assemble the project without us seeing it. I was appointed incident commander and my group had to build the item while the instructor threw all kinds of information at me that I had to deal with while thinking about how we build this item. It turned out to be a helicopter in the end and we got it all right except one piece. It was kind of fun as well as really good for learning communication skills.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 09:08:15 AM »
Shanna,
What an interesting exercise. I did something like that in Comp Sci class, only much more simplified (like blindly instructing the other group how to make a PB & J sandwich, or instructing a "shopper" to the milk aisle). It shows a lot how our minds work. You did fantastic with that helicopter- legos can get complicated.

Teresa- Wow! Your little one sounds really intelligent. Legos are indeed good for learning.

Karen- Don't ever get rid of them. Your kids will eventually be back to claim them! Especially if they have children. There is a website (many, I'm sure) where you can get all the directions to almost all the sets- even the very old ones.
http://www.peeron.com/scans/ is a good one.
And speaking of ebay, I've been looking at this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagen
ame=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280082537011&rd=1&rd=1

Now THAT's a lotta Legos!

Esther, I hope so. Time will tell.
Karen

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 10:17:33 AM »
Karen, We are a lego house too! One of the coolest places I've been is the Lego Store at Downtown Disney. They had a huge loch ness monster in the water and other very large and awesome displays! Here are some examples on google images.  http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&gbv=2&q=lego+disney+ We have all of DH's legos from when he was a kid (as well as his transformer collection). I had tons of pirates and castles when growing up, but did not keep any (sad, I know). Dylan loves the Star Wars collection and does have a space shuttle. Just a few weeks ago he bought a small submarine from their new Aqua Raiders collection. The new Avatar ones look pretty cool too!

I've been meaning to ask you, have you ever composed a tutorial for how you built your pond? I have always admired it immensely and would love a guide for building our first Texas pond. I was considering hiring someone, but should probably just go the DIY route as we have done before on oh so many projects! Thanks in advance!!

Ah, just found this photo online. Such an awesome creation!
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 10:36:59 AM »
Legos were probably my favorite toy when I was growing up.  It really lets a child use their imagination!
Greenwood, Indiana Zone 5-6
"umop ap!sdn w,I aw dlaH"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 10:42:50 AM »
My mom saved the legos my brother and I used to play with when we were kids.
Now when Jamie visits my mom, she plays with our old legos. 8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

GAJen

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 01:19:20 PM »
Haven't had any in a long time but did play with them with my brother.

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 04:38:10 PM »
I have saved all of my my kids legos, but more importantly, I have a gazillion Knex. My son loved these things and can build anything with them. In years to come, he will have a blast. In fact, he came home from college a while ago and built himself a table with them. They are amazing.
Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 05:51:38 PM »
I have my old Legos in a box in one of our storage units. The last set that I bought was the train. There are also a few Technic sets mixed in with them. I will get them out some day.

Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 05:54:48 PM »
My boys would play for hours on end.  My youngest brother(20yrs younger) taught them how to make fantastic things he was a leggo fanatic.  My boys gave all their leggos to younger cousins.    I do not remember leggos as a kid.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 07:42:38 PM »
Karen, We are a lego house too! One of the coolest places I've been is the Lego Store at Downtown Disney. They had a huge loch ness monster in the water and other very large and awesome displays! Here are some examples on google images.  http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&gbv=2&q=lego+disney+ We have all of DH's legos from when he was a kid (as well as his transformer collection). I had tons of pirates and castles when growing up, but did not keep any (sad, I know). Dylan loves the Star Wars collection and does have a space shuttle. Just a few weeks ago he bought a small submarine from their new Aqua Raiders collection. The new Avatar ones look pretty cool too!

I've been meaning to ask you, have you ever composed a tutorial for how you built your pond? I have always admired it immensely and would love a guide for building our first Texas pond. I was considering hiring someone, but should probably just go the DIY route as we have done before on oh so many projects! Thanks in advance!!

Ah, just found this photo online. Such an awesome creation!

Jessica, Thank you so much for that link. I love that Loch Ness Monster!
I also love this (from the google images link you posted):

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Plan-B/Conventions/SuperTrain2006/
DisneyLand/02.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi%3Fi%3D1642405&h=533&w=800&sz=97&hl
=en&start=16&tbnid=7E-yOlKwfRRy0M:&tbnh=95&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dlego%2Bdisney%26gbv%3D2%26s
vnum%3D10%26hl%3Den

Arrgh can't get that link to work... try this:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1642405

My gosh, if I could only build such a thing!  o(:-)

Also, thanks for such nice words about my pond. I'd be more than happy to tutor you (or post tutorial) on exactly how I made it- although I am certain that there are far better ponds/tutorials than mine. Thank you.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 08:23:27 PM by karen J »
Karen

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 03:47:59 AM »
My kids never liked building with Legos, they preferred K'nex.  We had roller coasters 5' high, all sorts of enormous creations with gears etc.  My son especially enjoyed them, spending hours every day building.  My 3 year old son so far doesn't care for legos, I'll try K'nex with him when he's a bit older,  too.  It's great to have that creative outlet, isn't it?

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 06:37:30 PM »
I still have a huge set of the BIG Legos from when the kids were real small. Me I go back farther, I loved to play with linken logs.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 11:31:44 AM »
Lego's, link-en logs, tinker toys.....loved anything when I was little that I could build with.  I had this one set of things called domino rally.  That was cool, you would build all kinds of things, patterns.  There were stair cases, and other props...then one flick of a domino and it would all start falling.  I loved that thing.

Kim
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 09:02:23 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 02:06:09 PM »
Oh no Kim, you're making me feel really old :cry: , my kids had domino rally!!!

Karen

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 07:36:42 PM »
Hey, I had a Domino Rally set. I also remember Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, and, let's not forget, Erector Set, all metal.

Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 09:04:59 PM »
Hey, I had a Domino Rally set. I also remember Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, and, let's not forget, Erector Set, all metal.

Scott

I loved Lincoln Logs too.  Wasn't that erector set made by Gilbert? My family used to collect American Flyer trains (gauge S) made by Gilbert.

But do you remember Creepy Crawlers?  ;)

I bought the new "Jax Pacific" brand Creepy Crawlers from Costco (for my kids this past Christmas). After fooling around with it for ages, my hubby decided that it was nothing compared to the original 1965 version. Therefore, we had to go on ebay and buy the original 1964-1966 stuff! It really is a better toy, and a testament to how our governmental regulation has destroyed so many wonderful things. The newer ovens are nothing but an "Easy Bake" style oven, with numerous safety guards and a silly light bulb. The old ones are nothing but a hot plate. Touch it, and you get burned! How's that for real parental involvement/supervision? We like that, so we're now using the older version. Our kids are learning about "hot", and WE are all having a ball. No TV, No video games, just quality time making Creepy Crawlers and Legos. :)

I bought Lego Vladeks Dark Fortress Castle from ebay, and am wanting to buy the original 6075-2 1981 Yellow Castle.  o(:-)\

We are having too much fun, although my daughter has just been diagnosed with strep.  :' [And her homework is starting to pile up. Time to put the Legos away, get better, and catch up on the homework. shucks!] Fun while it lasted!
Karen

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 09:05:52 PM »
Trust me Karen, it was many, many years ago.  I should get the box out of my attic and give it to my kids.  They would love it, pretty sure its up there or my parents house.

Scott.......that's one thing I didn't have was a Erector Set.

Kim

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2007, 04:23:09 AM »
They just don't make us ummm I mean them like they use too!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2007, 08:53:15 AM »
But do you remember Creepy Crawlers?

Yes, I had those too! And the Creepy People. I still have one of them that I made. They had the head, arms and feet that you put over a pencil and they would stand up. I got into trouble at school making and selling them to the other kids. lol

I also had some molds that were for flowers too.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2007, 11:23:31 AM »
But do you remember Creepy Crawlers?

Yes, I had those too! And the Creepy People. I still have one of them that I made. They had the head, arms and feet that you put over a pencil and they would stand up. I got into trouble at school making and selling them to the other kids. lol

I also had some molds that were for flowers too.

I had all that stuff too, Creeple People, Creepy Crawlers. Had the flowers, one made jewelry,  and another one called Incredible Edibles that you could actually make and eat. (they didn't taste very good)

Ooopps!!! Forgot the subject Legos.  Noah (grandson) LOVES Legos. He's almost 2 and he has real big Legos, they're the size of bricks. He LOVES to stack them up and take them apart. Over and over and over.  ::) I have a bunch of little ones bought for him already with the table to work on that I got a the Good Will for $2.00 it's like new. :yahoo:

Offline Chris

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2007, 12:52:49 PM »
Karen-
If you haven't seen this church it's a must see...totally awesome!
http://haha.nu/amazing/lego-church/
Chris

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
Re: Do You Like Legos? Update 3-13!!!
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2007, 10:52:21 AM »
You're not going to believe this, I did a really crazy thing.

I bought a 50 pound lot of legos from Ebay!

They're (hopefully) arriving today!

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Chris: Thanks for the link! I had seen it a long time ago, but forgot where it was. It truly is amazing.
Also, if you go to http://www.lugnet.com/, you can poke around there and find some absolutely wonderful pictures.
Karen

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2007, 01:15:13 PM »
50 pounds  :woot: legos.  Wow, can't wait to see what you build out of them.  You will have to post pics.  I can see it now, trickle tower made out of legos, look how clear my water is  lol

Kim

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2007, 07:22:11 PM »
Hope you get your 50# of legos!!!
Girl, you are out of control ::)
But you are having fun O0

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2007, 08:36:39 PM »
They finally arrived, and now I know what 50 pounds of Legos looks like. It's huge. Way more than I imagined.

What a mess.

I can't believe I did that. What was I thinking? I truly dislike toys with lots of little parts. My house is trashed.
Credit is due to the Lego people, though, because those little parts are just amazing. I have Owls now.  o(:-). And castles, spaceships, cars, people, tanks, helicopters, a soccer field, a battleship... even Harry.

But the kids.... well, that's another story. Pure Bliss (I even hid at least half of them to give at later date as presents).
They really deserved it, they've been working incredibly hard.

I need about 20 parts organizers.  :D
Karen

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"