Author Topic: Will they survive?  (Read 943 times)

Offline LynneNY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Will they survive?
« on: May 18, 2013, 09:34:57 AM »
My husband found this nest in a hanging pot INSIDE our shed this morning. The mama is able to get inside under the overhang of the shed. He moved it outside in the same spot, because he was afraid the babies might not figure out how to get out when they are flight ready. I so hope the mama finds the nest and continues to raise them.  :-\

I was thinking they might be downy woodpecker eggs due to the black and white striped feathers in the nest, but a google image search shows they are tufted titmouse eggs. That makes sense, as I did see a titmouse take some of the cat fur that I put out on the deck for them the other day. But why would there also be the black and white feathers?

I soooo hope these babies make it!  O0

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Will they survive?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 02:56:07 PM »
I had to look up tufted titmouse bird...adorable!  Nice eggs too!  Don't you love the creation of the nests and the materials they are made of? 

Keeping my fingers crossed that the parents find the newly located nest.  Maybe you'll see the eggs hatch.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 07:47:29 PM »
I would think if you moved the nest not too far from where it was originally, she would find it.  Let us know if you have seen her on it!  They are pretty birds.  It's amazing what you find in bird nests.  We have a baltimore oriole nest~it looks like a basket~that's full of orange twine string that we use for baling hay that the birds found and wound it into their nest!  8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 11:04:55 AM »
I've to google the image of tufted titmouse bird and they look cute!  I hope the mama bird will find the nest and eggs.  :)  We found 2 eggs in our grill and the first time, my DH put the egg in a nest on a tree so we can use the grill.  Not sure what happens to the egg but probably didn't make it.  Now there is another one in the grill.  DS has declared a "no grill" zone so will have to wait till the egg hatches and birdie flies away before we can use the grill agian.   ::)

Please give us an update to see if mama finds the nest.

Kuan

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"