Author Topic: Similarity  (Read 1122 times)

Offline magoo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Similarity
« on: July 03, 2013, 01:16:27 PM »
What are the similarities between N. 'Midnight' and N. 'Rachael Presnell'? These are two of my favorites.

If it's worth doin', it's worth doin' to excess
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/magoo_/

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Similarity
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 11:06:26 AM »
The most obvious common trait is that they both have the "mop top" look. They are both beautiful lilies.

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 03:33:48 PM »
Are they both one of Craig Presnell's creations?
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline magoo

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 10:55:31 AM »
N. 'Midnight', George H. Pring, 1941. Midnight was hybridized before Craig was born. Arguable the first lily with petaloid structures. He listed Midnight as the lily most similar to  N. 'Rachel Presnell.'  Most other lilies with heavily variegated pads have the pads eventually turn green before becoming spent. With RP the pads stay red red red. Both lilies are not weedish about overproducing new tubers.  Best of all both Midnight and Rachel Presnell thrive with my laissez faire attitude about leaving the plants in my ponds to overwinter.

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 03:14:34 PM »
N. 'Midnight', George H. Pring, 1941. Midnight was hybridized before Craig was born. Arguable the first lily with petaloid structures. He listed Midnight as the lily most similar to  N. 'Rachel Presnell.'  Most other lilies with heavily variegated pads have the pads eventually turn green before becoming spent. With RP the pads stay red red red. Both lilies are not weedish about overproducing new tubers.  Best of all both Midnight and Rachel Presnell thrive with my laissez faire attitude about leaving the plants in my ponds to overwinter.

Cool! Thanks for the info Magoo. I've been eyeing up the Rachel Presnell when it first came out and people were posting pics of it. Having a hard time finding anyone with extra tubers to trade or buy from. Now I know why :) Normally not too crazy about white flowers, but a white mop top with red mottled pads is very interesting  O0
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 03:26:47 PM »
Magoo, Rachel Presnell does not tuber well for me. My tuber from last year did not sprout this year. Do you have trouble getting it to tuber?

Offline magoo

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 11:23:12 PM »
I have left it in the planter it's in over winter (say laissez faire) for  the previous three season I've had it. It has always come back from last years plant. For the first time a second plant is growing this year. Maybe with two plants this year I can try forcing tubers. Ponchatoula was one night away from meeting Zone 10 conditions here last year. One night in late April it went to 30 deg F for about six hour. R P did not even go dormant last season.  Yea, I would say it doesn't tuber well but it appears to over winter in the pond well at 30 deg N Lat..

Rachel's eye

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"