Author Topic: Our bathroom remodel is almost done.  (Read 3314 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Our bathroom remodel is almost done.
« on: February 21, 2007, 05:12:06 PM »
Here's a link to Photobucket.  http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v336/estherwaayenberg/Bathroom%20remodel/

A nice quick way to view the pictures, is on the left in dark blue. It says "view album as slide show." You can adjust the length of time to see each picture.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 05:18:38 PM by Esther »

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Our bathroom remodel is almost done.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 06:01:25 PM »
Wow Esther, you must be awfully proud of yourselves. Very nice job. I notice your grey lil helper was in just one shot - ?Mess in  dining room"

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 06:24:34 PM »
Beautiful job.  Someone needs to give me a swift kick to get my bathroom finished and kitchen started.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 06:26:05 PM »
Looks great!

You have done an amazing job together.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 09:46:44 PM »
Esther, did you make the labels for the soap dispensers? If so, how?

Everything looks great. Love the counter tops, niche, tiles, everything! The only thing I don't love is the faceless pictures of Pete...  ;D How 'bout a face shot?  ;) Better yet, how about a picture of you both together in your new bathroom?
It is so nice to take photos of yourselves and the project you have accomplished. Seems silly, but it's not.

Hard, though, when you're the one charged with taking photos.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 05:17:27 AM »
I don't know what they are because I threw away the package but I got them in the jewelery making area at WalMart. They are kinda a pearl substance with tiny holes on each end and somewhat curved, not flat. Wonder if they are Abalone. I happened to have some tiny dragonfly and fish shaped brads for scrap booking so inserted the prongs through the holes and tied a brown very thin leather strip on the backs of the brads. I then bent the prong over with needle nose pliers. I should have used rub on lettering or had my stepson letter them for me. Oh well it will come off with polish remover. It's just a Sharpie.

There is the same problem with the soap and lotion dispensers in the counter by the sink. DH thought they were silly because no one would know which was what. I found little round rubbery stick on bumper scrap booking doodads with letters in them. So put an L on one and an S on the other.

To be honest, that shower/tub won't be used by us I bet. We have two other bathrooms and both have showers so we're more apt to keep this one more for show than actual use. I won't even put up a shower curtain. The kids are grown and out so we have a lot more room than we really need. I have lived here 36 years.

Pete is a little allergic to cameras but just didn't happen to be facing it when I took the pictures. He NEVER takes pictures, wouldn't have any idea how. I have a picture taken on a cruise almost 7 years ago that I'll post but a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then. He just turned 60 and I am almost 65. The color is a bit off, seeing I scanned it into the computer.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 05:49:47 AM by Esther »

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 06:26:26 AM »
Esther, your bathroom is just beautiful!  And what a handsome couple you and your husband make.  emm

Offline Cindi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 07:24:30 AM »
Everything turned out so nice!!  I think the pictures above the toilet are a hoot!  Where did you find those?  I can't wait to see it in person!
Cindi
Cedar Springs, MI , Zone 5

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 07:48:49 AM »
What a great lookin couple! I like how your bathroom is looking. Love the pix above the toilet. I loved your pond pix too. I like all the frog ones and how you have everyone named. I know what ya mean about dh not wanting to take  pic. My kids always ask where were you mom?
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 09:28:53 AM »
It came out wonderful!!!  Is the floor ceramic tile, or is it vinyl? 
Tammie

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 09:50:03 AM »
Very pretty!! 

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 02:10:34 PM »
Cindi I got those pictures about three years ago off Ebay so have no idea who that person is. They are signed but I can't really make out the name. It says 1990, Garchina maybe.
Yeah, the floor has matching 12" tiles and the baseboards are matching 3" x 12" ones with a bull nose edge.

Yah, that guy I married ain't bad looking. He is adopted and knows nothing of his heritage. He has quite a ruddy complexion and I have often wondered if he has a Native American in his background.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 02:24:02 PM »
Must be hard not knowing like that, But ya done good! He's a keeper in my book.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

GAJen

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 04:37:43 PM »
I love it. It turned out great ..... makes me want a bigger house so I can have a bigger bathroom.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 05:10:37 PM »
Hey, this bathroom is only 5' X 10'. My back bathroom is about half that size. We put in a pocket door to be able to get in the room and shut the door without standing in the shower.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 06:55:30 PM »
Great job and so satisfying to be able to say "we did it ourselves". :)

GAJen

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 10:38:26 AM »
Hey, this bathroom is only 5' X 10'. My back bathroom is about half that size. We put in a pocket door to be able to get in the room and shut the door without standing in the shower.

It looks bigger.

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 10:46:43 AM »
Beautiful job! I especially like the tile in your tub surround!
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 01:09:34 PM »
Jessica you might be referring to the design with the two diamond shaped tiles in the center below the window. There is a story behind that. Turns out that dumb window is not centered on that wall. When you tile, you start from the center and work out so that the side cut pieces are equal. I wanted what looked like the center to center on the window. It was off just a few inches but still enough to throw it off center. So I tiled around the window with the long narrow pieces first to make it look like a frame and then started tiling down along each side of the window. I tiled right down to the top of the tub and wouldn't you know it, it turned out perfect at the top of the tub. I didn't even have to cut any at the tub edge. Now that's what I call luck!! So then I started moving in to the center and when I got to the point of needing to figure out what to do, I measured the opening and drew it on newspaper. I then layed the rope trim pieces around the inside edge and measured what was left. We cut down the rest of the pieces to fit the opening on the paper and were sure they would fit where we wanted them to.

I'm especially proud of that soap/shampoo shelf that Pete made. He fiddled with it most of one day before he had it the way he wanted.

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2007, 02:14:55 PM »
Looks excellent!

I'll be starting my bathroom make over in just over a month.  However, since it will eventually be just the guest bathroom I've decided to save the money for other areas and go the cheap route with shower surround instead of tile and other cost saving things.  Just getting estimates now on some of the work that I can't do myself.

Bart

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2007, 03:20:18 PM »
Esther, awesome job!!!!!!!!!!!! we did a minor bathroom one last year, was just suppose to be fresh paint, refinish cabinets, and flooring.  Ended up we had to replace, tub fixtures (DH broke),  toilet (DH broke), and large 3'x5' mirror (DH broke)
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2007, 04:09:27 PM »
Esther, awesome job!!!!!!!!!!!! we did a minor bathroom one last year, was just suppose to be fresh paint, refinish cabinets, and flooring.  Ended up we had to replace, tub fixtures (DH broke),  toilet (DH broke), and large 3'x5' mirror (DH broke)
LOL! Sounds like DH is expensive to have around, but I would put him to work on things I would want him to break so I could get new.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2007, 08:46:46 AM »
Marla,  ;D LOL. Sometimes that happens. Our mirror is 30 X 48 and we came REAL close to breaking it. I think that would have been more than one year bad luck for us.

I would encourage anybody to tackle tile if you want a nice look and need to conserve on expense. Honestly, it isn't hard and you can rent or borrow the cutters if you don't want to buy them. We got our tile saw at Harbor Freight. We didn't buy the most expensive one or the very cheapest one. It needs to be sturdy for the fence/guide  not to wobble when you are sliding the tile into the saw. The saw sits on top of a tub like thingy that holds water. The saw blade spins in the water to keep it cool and rinse off the powder from cutting the tile. So it is a messy job. We sat the tub on top of the laundry tub in the basement or in the garage when the weather is warm. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"