Author Topic: Planting Hostas  (Read 1525 times)

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Planting Hostas
« on: February 22, 2007, 06:25:17 PM »
So after reading another thread I decide that I am going to plant some hostas. Then I see the shear variety and  It is hard to tell which to plant. I planted 6 MinuteMan hostas that are a Medum white and Green Hosta around one of our tree I am going to plant some large Hostas in some other deep shade areas. Here is the Minuteman I planted. As a side note has anyone ever noticed that the Hosta root system appears more aquatic than terrestrial? :-\

… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Planting Hostas
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 06:35:52 PM »
I also found this one which I think is awesome
this is called Hosta 'Lakeside Beach Captain'
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline JoshS

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • In The Country Garden & Gifts
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 02:22:47 PM »
Have you seen hostas growing successfully in your area?  Hostas need a cold dormancy (about 40 days at or below 40*F...soil temp).  Without that cold dormancy the plants get smaller and smaller until they die.  I'm not sure Hostas are going to do very well for you :-\

If you want to give it ago, the hybrids with Hosta plantaginea in them are going to be your best bet.  H. plantaginea is native to sub-tropical China, so it is more tolerant of heat and warmer winters.  It is also the only fragrant Hosta species, a trait most of its hybrids inherit!

Some to try:

Guacamole
Fragrant Bouquet
Fried Green Tomatoes
Fried Bananas
Fragrant Dream
Aphrodite
Venus
Holy Mole
Avocado

There are many more.
Josh
Iowa - z4

In The Country Garden & Gifts
http://www.inthecountrygardenandgifts.com

Gardener's Touch Hand Cream
http://www.gardenerstouch.net

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 08:45:09 AM »
Thanks for the info I already have some hostas and they seem to do fairly well. This is northern florida and it does get cold (20's and 30's to mid 40's) so they do okay.

I appreciate letting me know that makes some sense now why some are doing better than others.
Andy

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 01:39:05 PM »
SIR El Jefe   :D

I have  2 hostas growing in the very shallow water in my pond in gravel where I left a small area for a step into the deep.  THe one last year did twice what the ones in my yard did and no slug attacks like the ones in my yard. Kind of anxious to see if they come back and survived the winter.

THere was a list floating around here of Land plants that do very well in water but I think it was lost when the forum was hacked.  Sure wish we could get that back.. it was surprising what would grow and do well in water.

tinkster

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 06:31:44 PM »
Good to know tinkster!!  may plant some right at the waters edge and see how that does... Good Thinkin Tinkster!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"