Author Topic: So I went a little nuts....  (Read 3359 times)

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
So I went a little nuts....
« on: February 24, 2007, 06:07:38 PM »
and I installed my own Pond Cams. Now I can see it where I want when I want  O0 I was getting a little unnerved that my Lilies would bloom during the day and be closed up by the time I got home. I would almost never get to see them unless they lasted until the weekend. Here are a couple of snapshot views let me know what you think.
Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: So I went a little nuts....
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 11:06:02 PM »
That's pretty cool Andy.  Perhaps it will catch a neighbor skinny dipping...... {:-P;;

I understand your frustration with things blooming when you are not around....  I have a plant called a Neomarica (Walking Iris) that has a beautiful bright blue flower.  However, it blooms only for a day and only during the day, and prior to retiring I would have to wait for it to bloom on a weekend....
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 12:59:25 AM »
That's cool.  I know what you mean about waiting for something to bloom and miss it. 

Or like me last year, my first Lotus buds were about to open all the way, but we had a bad storm.  The wind knocked all the petals off :(.  Then I had to wait for the next buds to reach blooming size.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 07:56:02 AM »
What I really like about it is that I can move the cameras around or set them to motion detection. Every time it senses motion it sends you and e-mail with the picture. I have to set up zones, seems my water fountain likes to set it off :-\  you can pan and scane and even zoom. The zoom feature leaves a little to be desired but they work wirelessly or wired and they have a microphone so you can listen in. I found some kids "playing" around the edge of the pond, throwing rocks into my pond (the Big Stones that I paid  for) had a little talk witht he parents with pictures to back it up. I got to show it to them right after the "My kid would never" statement... LOL

Off to Church...
Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 09:38:46 AM »
That's cool.  I know what you mean about waiting for something to bloom and miss it. 

Or like me last year, my first Lotus buds were about to open all the way, but we had a bad storm.  The wind knocked all the petals off :(.  Then I had to wait for the next buds to reach blooming size.

Kim

Kim, the same thing happened to me but it was so late in the season I never got another bud.

El Jefe , That is really nice.  I miss alot of my blooms because I get home so late after work, this is the reason I want to get some night bloomers this year.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 09:42:40 AM »
gorgeous pond and all those lilies are going to look wonderful in that . . . . .

Offline MikeW

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 06:17:41 PM »
Good lord Andy - looks like you have masses of acres to play in! Colour me jealous!.

How many lilies are you looking to end up with in your lake, er, pond?

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 07:27:06 PM »
I plan to have quite a few types of lilies in there. Right now the following reside in the pond Escarboucle (x2) Berniece Ikins (x2) lemon mist (x2) Texas dawn (x1) Pink sensation (x1) There are 3 wild lilies in there as well N. Odorata (White). I will be adding Colorado (x2) James Brydon (x2) and a Sioux. If Craigs Tropical seeds sprout then we will have some aussie lilies in there as well.
    Pond sits on the back 2 acres it is not as big as it looks, or I may just be used to it ;)
Andy

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 08:48:38 PM »
I bought some lotus last year because me wife had wanted one for a few years. I work a lot of hours. 60+ each week usually... yeah it kind of sucks. Since I had never seen one bloom I was excited when the flower pod got really large. Every night I would get home and it would be a bit larger and a little more open. I told my wife it was weird that it was taking several days to open. She said, "What do you mean? It has been fully open the last three days." Fortunately dear wifey took some pix so I could at least see what I had worked through.
Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 06:37:31 AM »
lol elfe.. you sound like me.. I almost cancelled a trip to the beach last year casue my first lotus had a bloom and I was gonna miss it :)

Love the lighting to.. I have got the lights I just got to find someone that knows how to put them in my pond I love that!

tinkster

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 08:13:48 AM »
lol  elfe.. you sound like me..
Poor Andy's been demoted....... ;)
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 08:47:13 AM »
from El Jefe to elfe thanks tinker I mean Tinkster ;)

Note to Sean: When I added the smiley it wiped out my post and set just the smiley (this has happened on 3 different machines over 2 different networks, can't be the machine) pain in the butt I know.
Andy

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 09:21:20 AM »
ROFL .. okay so I have major "TYPOS"  I like elfe, its cute and also doesnt require near the concentration to type as el jelfe.. what is a el jelfe anyway... hehehe... sounds like some type of burrito from el mexico :)  ... everyone nicks me as tink so now your elfe
 :)
 Can yall tell I am on a chocolate high today... CADBURY's are finally out for easter...

TINK ster

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 09:38:41 AM »
what is a el jelfe anyway
should be el jefe
It has many meanings the boss, the leader, the supervisor, and the chief.
This one in particular as it was his rank...ie...senior chief.
He mentioned in another thread that it was given as a nickname by children in a village his unit was assisting.
Tim

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 09:43:20 AM »
OH man... IM sorry for the lack of disrespect!  I didnt see that thread :(  I appologise! but I did have a good laugh when I seen the typ0 :)

tinkster

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2007, 09:57:28 AM »
No lack of disrespect seems to be plenty...... Sorry I couldn't resist ;) Seriously I am just playing no offense taken.  O0 Good explanation Tim Thanks. :)

Andy
AKA El Jefe

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2007, 09:58:30 AM »
I can't speak for him but I doubt you offended. He seems to be a great guy with a good personality just through the thread interactions we have had.

Andy, by the way I had the same problem with the smileys. Since they had worked before I tried turning off spell check. It stopped acting stupid when I did that. I don't know if it was the cause but it seemed coincidental that the problem occurred so soon after that change.

Tim

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2007, 09:59:51 AM »
Andy, it looks like you type faster than me.
 ;)
Tim

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2007, 10:02:18 AM »
Glad you both were quick.. have to leave to take my dad for the rest of the day and I would have worried the whole time I was gone.. sometimes I forget people cant always tell when your kidding /joking with words/typing like they can in real life..

I think we need a emotioncon/smiley  with a foot stuck all the way ones throat.  I will probably be needing that one a bit.

tinkster

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2007, 10:02:56 AM »
Great idea with the camera and it has been worth having already by catching the neighbor kids.  When my pond was new, every time my little nephews visited they would throw the edge rocks in the pond.   Then I would climb in the next day and gather them up.  I got so aggravated and their parents seemed to think it was no big deal.    Love the bridge and dock, looks like a good feet dangler. ;D

Karen

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2007, 10:17:41 AM »
Nah I type slow... Just started before you that is all :) Thanks for the kind words though. After 23 years in the military you learn how to thicken your skin and pull your 18 inch zone into about a 3 inch zone. Not much offends, even the direct assault by some I have let pass. Take care of your Dad Tink and say kind things to him all the way to the office and back, I miss mine and wished I had said so much more before he passed (at 59 can you believe that?) Let me know if you need the Magazine I will send it to you. For the record our borders did not have it. Andy

Offline fl koi farm

• Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2007, 06:16:38 PM »
really nice setup ;D any pics of koi  :missing:

GAJen

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2007, 06:26:52 PM »
Very cool Andy and wow what a pond.

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2007, 06:34:20 PM »
Hey Andy,
that is such a neat idea. What kind of camera and set up will take a pic and then send it by email to you?

Perhaps it will catch a neighbor skinny dipping......   - Sounds like something that Jerry would say. ;D

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline slackjeep

• Members
  • With us since: 17/01/2007
    • View Profile
    • Photogallery
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2007, 09:10:51 AM »
wow

8-)~ 8-)~ 8-)~ 8-)~ 8-)~ 8-)~
Dorys

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2007, 11:20:31 AM »
Very nice pond!   A FEW lilies will give it the extra touch!

BUT, do ducks and lilies mix well together????

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2007, 05:44:10 PM »
Thanks for the compliments, I do love to be in that pond almost as much as my Lab mix (actually she drives me nuts when she jumps in there) >:(-  The camera is a linksys WVC200 it has both wired and wireless capability internal and external voice, will take pictures or videos. it will send a live feed or  e-mail you pictures. Good stuff all and all. I have them mounted in bird houses with clear Lexan fronts. I like it. wife thinks I am crazy  :D trust me I like my neighbors they are all great and kind people, I would not want to see any of them skinny dipping in my pond. Catfish might mistake the wrong thing as bait and then we would probably have a lawsuit on our hands.  lol
    Guess that answers the Koi question as well, there are to many native fish, koi just end up as bait that is unless I find somone who wants to part with some big ones.
    I cannot wait for the water to warm up a little more to get those lilies up off the bottom and give the other Water plants the cue to grow up and out.  Then I will get these in there and if joyce is correct those Colorados will get the party started!

Andy

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2007, 07:23:45 PM »
I have to ask what the parents of the kids from hell said when you showed them the photos?

great pond, i would love one that big

lou

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2007, 01:16:02 PM »
The kids were just being kids and were embarassed enough when they were caught red handed. It was the Parents of the one child who thought they were in a "he said she said" situation and had plausible deniability. They were not expecting me to produce pictures. Suddenly their little angel had a crooked halo and one wing in the fire......Much to mommy and Daddies chagrin! I think they were more embarassed than anything that they got caught up in their childs story telling...... Reminds me of a commercial....... Ethernet wireless router $69  Wireless PTZ camera $250, Catching children destroying  your property on a digital image an showing it to their parents.... Priceless!

GAJen

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2007, 01:29:20 PM »
Glad you busted them Andy. I have a friend that some kids poured washing powder in his pond and it killed every fish but one. He didn't have his security cam on or they would have been caught. It was awful he had some beautiful Koi.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"