Author Topic: Help ID lily, please  (Read 729 times)

Offline casey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Help ID lily, please
« on: June 20, 2014, 08:57:10 AM »
I rescued a piece of a lily I thought was a hardy, due to the way it was growing seemingly by rhizomes, from a pond in FL.  It was so crowded that it was almost like a bonsai with tons of tiny plants with quite small pads, no blooms.  I was able to grow a few but I can not for the life of me figure out what it is.  I am now thinking it might be a tropical.  It looks very much like Queen of Siam on the bottom of the pad, and the flower.  However, the top of the pad is all burgundy with areas of lighter & areas of darker burgundy.  There is virtually no green on them and, at this point, no signs of vivips.  Here are photos of the top & bottom of the pad and of the flower.  This pad does show a bit of pure green but really there is none on most of the pads.  Anyone got any ideas what this lily is, keeping in mind it could be either hardy or tropical?

I'm sorry I am not good at uploading photos here so I am giving you a link to a web album in Picasa.  Thanks for whatever help you can give me.

https://picasaweb.google.com/caseyintucson/UnknownWaterLily?authkey=Gv1sRgCMGf2d3_48O3zQE

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Help ID lily, please
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 07:41:07 PM »
Is it possible that it is a hybrid cross ?  Are the edges of the pads smooth or jagged? 

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 07:46:43 PM »
Hi Casey:

It's definitely a tropical lily for two reasons 1) as  Sue was asking the leaves are jagged, which is one characteristic of day tropical lilies versus Night Tropicals that have sharp tips, i.e. see the subtle wave picture 2.  the second reason it is a blue (purple) lily that was only available in tropicals until recently (not commercially yet,  blue hardies.  As far as further identity I would not go further, since there are a lot of hybrids this could be.  Rather you should  call it my pretty purple lilly.

Gary

Offline casey

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 09:55:24 PM »
Thank you both for responding.  Yes, the leaves are wavy and I am happy to learn that distinction between hardies & tropicals.  Florida Aquatics responded to my inquirey today with a guess that it is Miami Rose and it does look like they could be right. 

The reason I wanted to know the name is that a small group of us in Tucson hold an annual aquatic plants sale in the spring with all the money going to a couple very small local non-profits.  This year we raised over $4,000.00 in 5 hours.  I grow all the tropicals for the sale.  Many of the lilies I grow are viviparous but I've had some success with other lilies too.  If I can propagate this one, it is nice to let the people know what it is.   

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 04:31:04 AM »
Casey this is exactly why "True to Name" program came into being.  While your intentions are good, people are putting out incorrectly named lilies that frustrates growers and collectors.  Therefore, if you do sell it for the non-profits benefit, please list it as an un-named tropical lily.

Offline casey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 08:01:15 AM »
I have always adhered to the Truly Named program and used to buy from Enzo.  I will continue to uphold the standards.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 10:12:57 AM »
It is a nice looking lily & as other have suggested I'd offer it as an unknown plant since it could be a volunteer seedling.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"