Author Topic: Strange multicolor hybrid  (Read 632 times)

Offline louis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
Strange multicolor hybrid
« on: June 22, 2014, 05:44:42 PM »
Hi everyone,

Been a long time. My watergardening has been taking a back seat to my flying career.

However, I have something strange here. I have a mud bottom pond and in it I have the yellow Joey Tomocik and the multicolor Wanvisa.
I had a strange bloom open up this morning, and it appears to be a new seedling. It has the colors of both plants. I dont believe I have ever seen this before.

I dug down into the mud and its a new plant, this is the first  year it has bloomed. All I can think of is that its a bloom that has the traits of both parent plants.

Since this is the first bloom, its going to be interesting to see if this happens again.

Has anyone seen this before?

Louis

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Strange multicolor hybrid
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 06:09:57 PM »
Hi Louis, good to see you posting again.  I have not seen anything like that before, usually the color is inverted.  It will be interesting if it maintains the same colors.  I can't tell from the angle is the yellow consistent around the whole flower?

Offline louis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 06:21:30 PM »
Hi,

The color is just on one portion of the bloom, just about 1/3 of the bloom. Its interesting to note that the yellow petals have no other hints of color in them. just pure yellow.

I have to keep an eye on it. Thanks for the reply.

Louis

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 03:33:15 AM »
Hi Louis,

Good to see you posting!

Wanvisa will sometimes have that split color from what I've seen of other pictures posted.  Mine hasn't ever done it though.  Maybe yours will continue to have that trait.

Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 07:37:02 AM »
Hi, Wanvisa is know to produce blooms that are "two-toned."  @O@ I have not had a bloom like that, but continue to hope that I will have at some time.  Although I have seen the pics of several blooms from ponders where that has occurred, I have not read or heard from anyone as to it being a consistent occurrence  on the same plant. I have also seen similar things occurring on other lilies, but this is more frequent with Wanvisa. Enjoy your rare bloom.  @O@

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"