Author Topic: If you had to choose...  (Read 2723 times)

Offline josephandgabby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
If you had to choose...
« on: February 28, 2007, 02:32:51 PM »
Isn't the entire point of having a Koi pond that you can sit back, relax, and enjoy your Koi after a hard day's work?  On the other hand, every Koi keeper knows that a pond can never be TOO big.  Seeing the problems some pond owners have had trying to keep their huge ponds clear, I started to wonder...

If you had to choose between having a huge, 30,000+ gallon pond that was NEVER clear, meaning you could never really enjoy your Koi except during feeding time when they all pop their heads above water for a few seconds, or a smaller, 5,000 gallon or smaller pond that was always crystal clear.

Keeping in mind that green water is not unhealthy for Koi and assuming water quality and filtration are optimal in both scenarios, which option would you choose - a huge pond with perpetually green water, or a smaller pond with clear water? 

I'm aware that a small pond does not necessarliy equal a clearer pond, or vice versa.  This is just a hypothetical question. 

Just curious...

Three ponds, too many Koi, and one very angry wife...
www.JoesPonds.com

« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 02:43:27 PM by josephandgabby »

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: If you had to choose...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 02:41:23 PM »
I'd take the smaller  pond, maybe less Koi but I'd rather see them all the  time.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 03:08:22 PM »
Definitely the smaller pond, it for me would equal more enjoyment; less work  8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 03:17:24 PM »
Yup, I'm glad we were restricted to how large our pond could be because of what was already around it. Also I am the sole care giver and am glad it is small enough for me to handle it. It is shallow enough that I can reach to the bottom with the adjustable handle on the net and it can reach more than half way across to catch leaves or floaties. It is shallow enough that I can get in and bend over and reach  the bottom almost anywhere without drowning. But it is deep enough that the Koi do well and winter over OK. It's only about 1750 gal, 10 X 13 x 28". Also if I get a green problem, I have more chance of mechanically removing the green and getting it under control than I ever would with a big pond.

Joe I looked at your website and enjoyed it very much.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 03:33:29 PM by Esther »

GAJen

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 03:31:33 PM »
I'd choose the smaller because the purpose of our pond is to go sit out and enjoy the sites and sounds. It is easy to maintain and a hammock is all I need now.  8-)~

Offline andrew davis

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 03:57:29 PM »
Never had a problem keeping any size pond clear, though with fish, the smaller the pond the less stable the water quality, it warms and cools faster which is a bonus to algae

Five adult size koi on a 13,000 plus gallon pond with heavy plantings of waterlilies, aquatic iris, is in one respect less work, the ratio of pond surface to border is higher, on a smaller pond the weeds will reach into more of the surface area. Typically I see weeds and grasses dawdling into two foot of water margin

Oh, a bigger pond means less grass to cut, so if you have to cut the grass two times a week, I'd rather have 1000 sq ft less tedious monotony...

When you have 90,000 square foot of grass to cut, the concept that grass is a waste of pond space soon takes shape

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 04:23:50 PM »
I would rather have the smaller one out of the choices.  I would rather be able to watch the fish and enjoy them.  What's the point of having them if you can't see them.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Koi Boi

• Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
  • With us since: 03/10/2006
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 04:48:51 PM »
Given that I could afford the cost, I’m opting for the 30,000 gallon pond with a U-V of proper size and possibly an ozone generator.  A 24 or 36 inch sand filter loaded with #4 industrial sand and a bio with at least 4,000 square feet of surface area for starters and add more surface area as needed, and it will be needed as I never can stop acquiring koi until I’m well past over stocked.  I guarantee the water will be clear with my daily backwash routine on the sand filter.  I have a quick release clamp on the sand filter, which allows me to lift the valve and stir the sand so as the break up the impacted bed (reversing the flow as with a normal backwash procedure only blows a few holes in the impacted sand bed)  to insure an effective backwash when the valve is replaced as well as more efficient mechanical filtration, thus  reducing sludge accumulation in the bio.  I do also use the high tech bead filters but 4,000 or more square feet of surface area would truly be expensive.  I’d rather build a cheaper and just as effective up-flow  gravity feed bio so I could apply the savings to a proper U-V.  When sizing a bio-filter to the pond  I NEVER use pond volume as a criteria.  Only this, 400 square feet of media surface area per 50 pounds of fish @ a feed rate of 2% of fish body weight per day.   Now let the  nay saying begin.   ;) ::)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »
I agree with Kim.

But...... ;)
If I had lots of help to take care of a pond of koi I would love a little lake and raise hundreds of 2ft kois of multi colors....watch my lilies bloom profusely...   :redface:  WAIT!! Was I writing out loud?  Heh-heh.

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 04:52:56 PM »
I think I would take the larger.. more lillies and them more and more and.......

I really love you website and your ponds are beautiful!

tinkster

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 05:08:50 PM »
I'd take a small pond with goldfish that fits into my yard and something that I can enjoy.
My point is not to create more work, but more enjoyment.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 06:36:30 PM »
Who gets to sit back and enjoy it?  The same goes for the garden. There is always something to do as you all know.  The good part is I like the doing! o(:-) o(
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline choicecopyguy

• Members
  • With us since: 11/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 07:35:52 PM »
I like the yard york, which also includes the pond work. That said, I also like to sit back and enjoy the fruits of my labors, maybe a beer on a hot summer afternoon, watching the fish, or just the water. I'll choose the small pond.

Mark

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 07:38:20 PM »
Smaller definitely.

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 07:54:11 PM »
Sorry I have to be the lone dissenting voice here but like my grandpa used to say "go big or stay home"  go with as much as you can afford and you won't be sorry. My pond was here (in a pretty sorry state) when I moved in and I have to say I love it. Working in it  and working on it,

… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2007, 09:05:52 PM »
I would love to have a huge koi pond and be able to swim with the koi......water temperature permitting....  Of course it would have to have a good filtration system.

What was the name of the ponder who lives in Santa Cruz California who used to post on the WGM forum?  As I recall he had a huge pond and I seem to recall him saying he swam in the pond.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2007, 10:43:24 PM »
Oh deffently bigger. Assumming I could afford it and all the good stuff that's need to go with it. I love the water. Ya know I posted here earlier and now I don't see my post??? I'm loseing it again????? :tease: :woot:
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2007, 11:41:34 PM »
Bigger pond..and who'd leave it green?? If I could afford that big of a pond, I could afford to properly filter it.

I'm actually inbetween.  13,500 gallon pond 5.5-6.5 feet deep and could see clearly to the bottom.

Pic is at 5.5 feet..see the watermelon rind trying to get into the bottom drain  ::)

Mary

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 08:50:16 AM »
I would take the big one and not stress over the water clarity. It is much safer for the fish to not have the water crystal clear. I would plant it heavily and not have a UV. I'd be having a pond, not a swimming pool so wouldn't be swimming and wouldn't be having industrial strength filtration. With a pond that size here, I'm sure there would be no way to avoid herons, ducks, kingfishers, maybe even an osprey. I'd want an island with a Japanese maple on it. For those of you who were there, I think the big pond at Hughes Water Gardens is awesome. It isn't perfectly clear, but looks very natural and we could see the fish.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2007, 08:56:08 AM »
Hi frloplady, I was born and raised all over Wash. but I can't figure out where Cowichee is?
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2007, 08:58:21 AM »
I think she is over towards Spokane
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2007, 09:03:09 AM »
Wow! that's only about 2 1/2--3 hrs from here headding south east.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline dorsalfin

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2007, 02:30:03 PM »
HI all: I guess I will have a little pond,I will be bulding a new pond this year.
I was just telling.. Ester I will be building a five to seven thousand Gallon pond.
Heck I thought that was big gues not  lol

I may need to think this thing over again (O) Mis Deb...

o( Dorsalfin o(

GAJen

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2007, 04:25:52 PM »
Andy yours is gorgeous. Our backyard is way too rooty to do a big pond.  :'(

Offline WV Kim

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2007, 04:31:12 PM »
I would have to choose the small one.  I really enjoy just sitting and watching them swim and chase each other.  The time really goes fast by a pond!!  ;)

Kim
Zone 5b

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2007, 05:47:28 PM »
Hi frloplady, I was born and raised all over Wash. but I can't figure out where Cowichee is?

Actually I'm about 12 miles nw of Yakima.  :)
Mary

Offline Rocmon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2007, 07:44:08 PM »
"assuming water quality and filtration are optimal in both scenarios"
There wouldn't be a visibility issue in either pond... If the water is green, your filtration isn't adequate.

For me it's a matter of acreage. Where could I put a 30,000 gallon pond? If it were that big, I could swim in it...

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2007, 10:01:40 PM »
Oh Ya! 30,000 gal and swim in it with my Koi sound good to me! @O@
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"