Author Topic: Pondside Plant layout  (Read 3020 times)

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pondside Plant layout
« on: March 02, 2007, 09:06:10 AM »
I really want to get my pond perimeter planted up and I know what I want (effect wise) but I am not sure how to go about it. I liked what I saw in this photo by Indian Karen from an earlier post. I even went so far as to inquire as to the types of plants she had surrounding her pond so I could get something similar that would grow in a wet environment I have  alot of room for plants and I really want to get some good ones in there,  I especially Love those grasses (need to identify them though) Joyce you seem to be the Pond planning/plant identifying matriarch of AP  ;) any ideas? I would really love to hear some thoughts, Thanks Andy

… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline frloplady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pondside Plant layout
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 09:32:15 AM »
I love the grasses, ornamentals and pampas.  I am aquiring a pretty good collection of Japanese maples that I'm keeping in pots.  Some will need to be transplanted later, but I figure that will be in a few years.

I'd love to know what kinds of grasses and plants in that pic.  Mine will never be that natural looking..especially with that critter drinking at the stream  O0

Mary

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 10:23:45 AM »
frloplady, with our dry climet it would be hard huh! But thank God for irrigation. If not for the ditch water where would we be? And we aren't even as dry as you guys. But I'm sure working on it.  o( Getting more green around the pond that is, not getting dryer. {nono}
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 11:26:27 AM »
there is a neat Japanese grass that looks like it spills out. hak something, I am sure mike or Joyce will post as photo.  I never see it in local nurseries, but it is very available
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 11:37:15 AM »
It's called Golden Hakone Grass, aka Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola'.

Here is a shot of it in my garden, cascading over the pondsai.

8)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 11:44:57 AM by Joyce »
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 06:50:02 PM »
Hi Andy,
At the time we planted the pond I didn't think keeping track of the name of plants was important.  Now I wish I had.  >:(

By looking at pics on the internet, I believe the clump of grass you are talking about might be Maiden Grass (Miscanthus sinensis 'Gracillimus').  I have seven different grasses but don't know their names. 

There are also seven Sungold Cypress planted around the pond, mugo pines, burning bushes, rumba and java red weigela, little princess spirea, lilacs, dbl file viburnums, Canadian Hemlock, Dogwood and a Snow Weeping Cherry.  For perennials I have Autumn Joy Sedum, Black-eyed Susans, Purple Coneflower, Daylilies, etc. The stream is planted with Watercress, Blue-Forget-Me-Nots and a couple other things I can't remember the names of.  In the water the big leaf plant is Spatterdock or Cowlily, iris on the left of the waterfall, mint, water celery, lizard tail, and more.  I can't remember whats out there until everything greens up.   ;D

Things get pretty bare around here in the winter.  I like a big assortment of evergreens, grasses, sedums and bushes to add some winter interest.  I will post a few seasonal pictures to give you an idea.

Joyce, I love the Golden Hakone Grass.  Think I need some of that. O0
Also love your Pondsai.  The colors and textures are so eyepopping.  I need to find some of those little toadstools (mushrooms), like them too!!!

Karen

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 08:27:50 PM »
Very nice and natural looking.  I need to do the same, plant something I don't have to dig up and store every fall.  I like my banana's, canna's and elephant ears but after I did them up in the fall the pond is so ugly till the next spring.  Then having to wait for them to get started again.  I've got to come up with something too.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 08:55:58 PM »
Ladies Your ponds are so wonderful! I only wonder how long it will take for mine to be even close to looking that good. I just keep plunking things in.But of coarse I can't afford to get big plants so I have to wait! Just beautiful! both of them. o(:-)
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 09:53:59 PM »
pssst...Debbie...check out EBAY!!!  @O@
Mary

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 04:08:11 AM »
The Sun gold cypress is gorgeous. It is the right height and adds color. I like that idea  O0 How long did it take to get the grasses to that height? Is some of it red fountain grass? Any guesses on the grass on the back left?

thanks for the for the info! Thanks Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Pam B

• Members
  • Pam
  • With us since: 28/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 05:25:46 AM »
oh, how aboslutely gorgious all of the pond pics are! It makes me yearn for spring. All of you are touched with some great pond artistry!
Pam

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 06:57:18 AM »
No, I don't think I have red fountain grass.  I have an assortment, some horizontal striped some vertical, some solid green thin blades, some wide.  Most of them are tall, 6 to 8 ft.  They reached their height and color the very first year.
Joyce knows her stuff, maybe she could suggest some good grasses. (8:-)

Karen 

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 07:46:04 AM »
Karen, your pond and landscaping is absolutely stunning and so naturalized. I can see why Andy would like to replicate some of the plantings.  This is the exact look I'd love to have for my new lily pond.  Problem here is it's to cold for most ornamental grasses, I have a few, but need to look for some more varieties.   This year I did not get my fountain grasses dug up before the cold, so now I'll have to dig them out dead and replant.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007, 08:04:04 AM »
Karen, that is one of the loveliest ponds and landscaping I have ever seen. You are an artist!!!
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2007, 04:26:22 PM »
Thanks for the compliments.  This is the time of year when I like the grasses the least.  March came in like a lion and the grasses are everywhere.  We usually cut them down in late February so they won't make such a mess, but we have had a lot more snow cover this year than usual, so hadn't gotten around to it. 

Karen

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
Re: Pondside Plant layout, Umm Joyce?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 01:07:06 PM »
Joyce could you help a Vet out? ANY idea on what Kind of Grass that is? THanks Andy

Offline Joyce

• Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 01:47:06 PM »
I would say it they are Miscanthus sinensis hybrids, such as Cosmopolitan or Cabaret.
(sorry, missed this question)
Horizonally striped grass is Miscanthus sinensis 'Strictus' aka Porcupine Grass.

There is Miscanthus sinensis 'Zebrinus' aka Zebra Grass.

Andy, you can also use Pampas Grass where you live too.
In Karen's region, Pampas Grass is not hardy.

There is Flame Grass: Miscanthus oligostachyus 'Purpurascens'

And one that is more of a purple than red: Miscanthus sinensis 'Malepartus' (guys will get a kick out of THAT name) ::)

Hope this helps. :)

Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2007, 08:24:21 PM »
WOW that Flame grass is awesome!! That will make a great addition.
I think this will look great along with Dwarf Japanese Sungold Cypress
Great call!! I am looking at the others as well.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 12:39:04 PM by El Jefe »

GAJen

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2007, 05:36:50 PM »
Absolutely gorgeous ponds.....wish I had a bigger yard.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2007, 09:22:03 AM »
Joyce is right, those are Miscanthus. The Porcupine and Zebra are both striped horizontally. Porcupine is a much more upright grower. Both of these get really big. 8' tall x 6' wide here in Portland.  :o  My be smaller is harsher winters.

There are some new cultivars that are smaller. 'Gold Bar' is one. I have it but it is so tiny from Park's last year that I can't evaluate it. Supposed to top out at 4'. 

Grasses are like any other perennial. Takes about three years to mature size.

I have the flame grass too, mine has never gotten close to that size in the photo. It is at least ten years old. I have 'Morning Light' which is variegated with white, vertically. It is a nice smaller Miscanthus.

I have many, many ornamental grasses. I have discovered they don't seem to ship well. Or, at least the ones I have divided and mailed haven't made it. :(  sorry. Anyone who is local is welcome to divisions.

Karen, I have long known your pond was landscaped very well but until you showed those four season shots together I didn't realize how amazingly it fits into your surroundings. You have done an excellent job. Just beautiful. You are so lucky to have trees as a background and not someone's house. LOVE the fall color shot. My Japanese maple gives me that much color but not much else.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2007, 05:29:25 PM »
Thank you LeeAnne.  :) We are fortunate to have woods all around us.  One thing I don't have is a Japanese Maple.  I have always wanted one, but have been told that in our area they need to be well protected and I just haven't found a spot yet.  :-\ I couldn't believe the Japanese Maples at the Butchart Gardens, we sure don't have them that big around here.

Karen

Offline froggerLee

• Members
  • With us since: 24/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2007, 05:41:32 PM »
Karen, I love the pond shots showing the different seasons. Very beautiful.
Lee

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2007, 05:46:51 AM »
Karen, it's always hard to tell from pictures.  How large is your pond, doesn't look real deep, but clear so that can fool you too.

I love the look of the Dwarf Japanese Sungold Cypress, may have to look into that, something to stay in color over our long winters, most of the ornemental grasses do not winter well here.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2007, 03:19:46 PM »
Hi Marla,
My pond is 2 1/2 ft. at its deepest part, it is approximately 7500 gallons.  I like it not being too deep, I can put on shorts and wade around trimming lilys, etc., without getting my rear wet. ;D
Karen

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2007, 03:33:43 PM »
Karen, it's always hard to tell from pictures.  How large is your pond, doesn't look real deep, but clear so that can fool you too.

I love the look of the Dwarf Japanese Sungold Cypress, may have to look into that, something to stay in color over our long winters, most of the ornemental grasses do not winter well here.
I have several of them around the pond and it is niceto see the green in the winter, when there not covered with snow that is. >:(
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"