Author Topic: Passiflora  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Passiflora
« on: August 19, 2006, 10:17:05 AM »
Some of my passiflora blooming today. . . have a couple more blooming, but cearulea is too high and Jeanette got bit by some kinda bug (maybe a caterpillar? hope so!).

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Passiflora
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 11:40:20 AM »
Very nice.  I especially like the small yellow one.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 11:57:19 AM »
The small yellow one (citrina) was a gift from Joyce several years ago.  I got to send her back a rooted cutting of it this summer.  I have a bunch of cuttings rooting now for someone else . . . . checked today and they are doing remarkably well!

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 03:08:32 PM »
Oh Teresa, they are beautiful! I never realized how nice they are. Wow!

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 07:33:22 PM »
That purple one is amazing.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 07:48:37 PM »
Gorgeous!  8)
Teresa, the one you sent me earlier this year has reached the top of the tiki torch.
You can see it behind Jamie in my Big Brugs post.
Has buds too! @O@

The Citrina you sent me is about 3 feet tall now. :)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 08:56:15 AM »
Jeanette will get much bigger than citrina . . .  and they live in the same pot here for me.   Jeanette is one of my best bloomers, doesn't care what's going on, just blooms her head off.  She was blooming the day I took the rest of these too, but her flowers were all bug-eaten. Here's a pic of what Jeanette will look for you:

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 07:45:31 PM »
Great blloms there.

Sean gave me Citrina as a Christmas gift last year, and while it is bushy, green, and producing lots of yellow blooms, I am having a devil of a time getting it to vine up the supports I provided. It seems to want to be a ground cover - naturally staying low. Is yours this way too?

Enquiring minds want to know,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 07:28:13 AM »
Yes, citrina does seem to be a drooping vine as opposed to a climbing vine.  Mine only climbs because it's in the same pot with Jeanette.  Jeanette will wrap her tendrils around a citrina branch and carry it up the supports.  Otherwise, it just drapes out of the pot onto the ground.  I think it would be great in a hanging basket - might do that with it for over wintering this year.

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 07:33:03 AM »
Hey Mike - what other passiflora do you have?  Maybe we could trade some of the ones I have that you don't for some of the ones you have that I don't.  I have a bunch rooting right now for someone, and most of the ones I have are pretty easy to root in water.  I do have one red one (I hope - stupid thing won't bloom for me) that's tougher to root, but you probably already have it anyway.

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 08:00:28 PM »
Can I grow these things in Wisconsin?

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 05:28:15 AM »
Teresa, the lady who runs our B&B here in Newport has a beautiful Passionflower! 8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 07:19:33 AM »
Steve - I don't think even the hardiest are hardy that far north.  But you can still grow them in pots - most of mine are in pots.  Obviously the ones in the ground are hardy for me.  Then I have some that are borderline hardy here - might be but a really bad winter could kill them.  Those come into the garage and go dormant.  Some come in the garage but I don't let them go dormant because they wouldn't come back.  A couple MUST come all the way in the house because even the garage gets too cold for them.

So, yes, you could grow them, but it depends on how much work you are willing to do for them.

Joyce - I'm shocked at you!  Where are the pictures???? 

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 01:03:04 PM »
Well, that's it.  I'm going to have to get some of those next year.  I saw some on another post and was intrigued by them. 

But now after seeing your blooms, its a must have... @O@

Your photo's are beautiful!

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 06:34:40 PM »
Teresa, I took pix, just can't download them from Newport.
Have 135 pix to download now that we are home and I'm too exhausted.
I can't remember if I took a pic of her PF or not. :-\ ?)(? ::)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline thedahlialama

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • just grow it
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2006, 08:20:07 PM »
i do believe that incense is one i've got to find. along with some of the others that people have been posting. i love passion flowers and they grow great in my climate. lots of the neighbors have them - the reds are really popular in my neighborhood.

alas, the trellis that was home to my passiflora was a victim of the constant rains and high winds this last winter. it rotted and fell over. i have since saved all the morning glories and the clematis that also grew there and they are coming back strong. however, the PF is just now starting to put out new growth from the 'stump' that was left when i freed it from the trellis. but here's an old pic of what i have to look forward to once it gets going.

passiflora lavender lady -

Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2006, 08:05:40 AM »
Dahlialama - Lavender Lady is one that I've wanted to own for a while.  It came about the same way as Jeanette and she's such a wonderful passiflora that I want her sister as well.  Perhaps we could trade some rooted cuttings? 

Incense is by far one of my favorites and fairly hardy as well, but very prone to a virus that slowly kills it.  I've bought and lost many incense to this disease.  The plant I currently have is in a pot in sterililzed dirt in the hopes that it will stay healthy.

Offline thedahlialama

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • just grow it
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2006, 12:03:05 PM »
Teresa - once it grows out and i have something to cut, i will gladly trade with you!! i'd say we should try and remember this for early next spring unless it suddenly takes off with new vigor.
Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Offline tootsie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Meet Christian, my newest Grandson :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2006, 02:21:41 PM »
So very pretty :) I had some given to me a 2 years ago. They both bloomed and one had fruits! I waited until they were ready and cut them open and saved the seeds, where I put them is quite another matter, LOL This year they did not come up tho :( I put them in the basement as I usually do and let them dry out, but they just gave up the ghost >:(-

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"