Author Topic: fish question  (Read 1359 times)

Offline stacig

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
fish question
« on: March 03, 2007, 09:12:22 AM »
is there any fish that i can add to the pond that eats alot of algea?besides a pascostomos(sorry bout my spelling).thanks

Offline Reedman

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: fish question
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 12:46:55 PM »
Almost none of us live in a zone warm enough year round to add fish like plecostamus.

If you're talking about the short fuzzy algae growing on the liner/pots/etc., that's the good stuff.  You want to keep that.

If you're talking about the long string hair-like algae, that's the bad stuff.  Commercial barley straw bales are available - releases a chemical that prevents growth.
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 02:03:56 PM »
You are dreaming, aren't you? We'd all be putting them like crazy in our ponds if the fish could control the algae.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 05:16:07 PM »
There is one that I have bought down here but I'm not sure if it will live in a pond in a zone cooler than zone 9. Tilapia are vegetarian until they run out of greens to eat. Then they will eat small critters.

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline stacig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 05:40:25 PM »
scott thanks ther pacosmos dont seem to do the trick

Offline Shep

• Members
  • With us since: 29/12/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 09:06:47 AM »
We have a Plecos in our pond. We're located in Southeast Ga, I think its Zone 8b (no memory) and our Plecos has made it the last two winters. He gets very sluggish the colder it gets but is growing like a weed..... I wouldn't say he controls the algae but of course he helps..........

btw I don't know if it was an attempted suicide but he hopped in the small in pond skimmer a month ago and almost bit the big algae bullet.

Offline stacig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 10:02:30 AM »
i have 2 in mine that i have had for 5 years.i just wanted to see if there was something that does a better job at it.

Offline frloplady

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 07:02:01 PM »
don't feed the fish as much? 

I love the carpet algae.  Right now the pond is almost bare of it as the fish have obviously munched on it over the winter.

Had only a little bit of string algae.  I'd need a really BIG pleco for the pond  ::)
Mary

Offline stacig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 04:54:07 AM »
how ofton should i feed them then?

Offline Rocmon

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 07:50:45 PM »
My goldies are constantly munching the algae, but they haven't been fed since they left the pet store... though they love me when I toss them an occasional worm.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"