Author Topic: I found them!!!!!  (Read 1740 times)

Offline milliemax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I found them!!!!!
« on: March 03, 2007, 06:38:58 PM »
  Well, we have finally had a couple of days of near 70* AFTER A very COLD, dry winter for NO CA. (I know, I know- nothing like other areas that are still frozen!)
  I figured it has warmed up enough to give the goldies a little food.
  They tend to hide alot and we have had racoons and other critters through the fall and winter, so I wasn't very optomistic about them making it through the winter.
  I plopped a little food into the pond and disappeared for a few minutes, and WOW!  ALL 6 were up, hungry and chowing down!
  I'm so glad they all hid from the critters!
  They have grown from 2 to about 3 inches long.
  Do they grow more in the spring/summer?
  When do they mate and what do you all do with the little ones? I'm sure my little pre-formed pond won't be able to handle many more fish.
  Another question is- Do the goldies take care of the mosquitoes on their own or should I get some mosquito fish free from the county?
  TIA   Nancy
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I found them!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 07:15:45 AM »
My fish grow most in the summer but they do grow a bit in the winter as well. What to do with the babies..that a perennial question. I put an ad in free papers and I've found homes for them but many just cull them  (I can't do it)..some pawn them off on friends with ponds...In a preform I wouldn't add more fish when mosquito dunks are available to handle the mosquito problem. Mosquito fish breed like crazy. Probably not a good thing if space is at a premium already.

Offline milliemax

• Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 07:30:34 PM »
  I'm guessing I can get these mosquito dunks at the local fish store? Or can I get them at the (much closer) big box hardware store?
  TIA  Nancy
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 07:37:07 PM »
I found them at ACE

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Rocmon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 08:01:00 PM »
Mosquito fish eat the eggs of your pond critters—they bear young live, so eating eggs is no skin off their nose. Once they are in the pond they are tough to get rid of. I had the county come fish a bucket full of mine last spring to give away for mosquito control, but there's still gazzillions of them left. I put goldies in hoping they would control the mosquito fish, but that hasn't been to successful as yet.

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 01:10:53 AM »
I found them on ebay last summer. They were more reasonable than in the stores even with shipping but I bought several cards of them.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"