Author Topic: I received a lotus tuber that's already growing, too cold outside, now what?  (Read 1418 times)

Offline backyardponder

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
ok, I'm very anxious to get this spring going. 8-)~ I bought  Chawan Basu tubers (thanks Charlotte!) and they were already growing when I received them. Both growing tips have healthy looking starts on them and they growing like crazy in the tub of water I put them in.  I've been keeping them warm since I got them last week.  I know you guys advise against starting lotus inside due to threat of rotting, etc.  Can I still put these little guys in cold water in my garage to force them back to dormancy?  :-\I was thinking about trying to start them inside in a tub placed on green house heating pad.  The temperature outside is 30. Usually by first week of May, we don't get frost anymore. 
Thanks,
Eija

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
I would put them out in the garage, keep them just above freezing. :)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline backyardponder

• Members
    • View Profile
Thanks Joyce,

I'll do that.  I just wasn't sure what to do with it since it was already sprouting. 
Thanks

Eija   :)

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
do you have a pic of it? It may not be actively growing yet...I have seen some of the growing tips quite long on mine.....as long as its not trying to unfurl a leaf then it should be fine....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline backyardponder

• Members
    • View Profile
One of them has a tiny leaf (not unfurled yet) on it. :-\ I have pics on my home pc, will post later.
Thanks,
Eija

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
Hello Eija,
I am receiving a couple of lotus this week and I'll be putting them in a large bucket of water in the garage until it warms up more to put outside. (next month)

I once bought a couple lotus from a seller who considers herself quite knowledgeable, which told me to start them indoors...... NEVER again, they turned to mush because of rotting.
(these were fairly expensive tubers too)  :'(

BTW- I have around 100 goldies to get rid of......I now have most of my Goldies in my lilypond which are easy to catch! 
Let me know if you want to give it a try this year!

No wading whatsoever! O0

Good luck with your Lotus.......... 8-)~

Offline backyardponder

• Members
    • View Profile
Thanks Bonnie,

I could use some more fishies. I only have 4-5 little goldfish in the pond. I have a 100 gal biofilter hooked up, so I think I can handle a couple more  8)
I'll contact you later this spring

Eija

Offline andrew davis

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
Yes, lotus can rot off easy indoors

You might try putting a light strip on a timer switch to keep the plant photosynthesing, rather than dying off for lack of light. Or, a well lit window...

Once a week, on a mild day, a spoon of bleach in the bucket for a few hours, followed by a slow rinse might keep fungus at bay, preventing spores from starting up indoors

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
Or you could try an a more plant friendly oxidation agent and leave the bleach for bathroom cleaning.<g> Rd 20 works equally well and is safe enough to use on the most delicate of orchids. 

Personally, I'd never bleach any plant.  But that is just me...I like plants.<g>
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
hehehe.. you sound so like me last year.. I didnt have a clue what to do with mine and I got 4 in very early that had big tips on them... I stressed about it but just floated them in water in a  dark shed.. is what everyone here suggested and it worked great for me.. they all lived and did great.

tinkster

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
    • View Profile
Some of the best tropical hibiscus breeders recommend a bleach solution poured on the roots for certain maladies. They like plants, too, believe me!
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
To each their own I guess, but I prefer Zerotol.  Less likely to kill if an unspecified sized "spoon" in a "bucket" of unspecified volume turns out to be an overdose.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"