Author Topic: Transporting BIIIIIGGG Koi  (Read 641 times)

Offline Jane C

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 02/05/2013
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Transporting BIIIIIGGG Koi
« on: February 27, 2016, 07:26:18 AM »
Hi All,
It's been years since I've been on the forum so not sure if you remember me, but, I have a question about my koi and need advice and I know you people are the ones to get good answers from!   :)
I have 4 large butterfly koi, each is about 3' long. 3 of them are about 15 years old and the fourth, Ol' Yeller,  I received from Griff (he was a member then) about 15 years ago and was already close to 2'.  The time has come when I must end my fish keeping since we're moving and we need to downsize.

Our temps here on the eastern coast of NC are in the 40's so the fish aren't being fed since the water temp is below 50.  How do I transport these big boys?  What type of container, massive coolers? What type of net?  The people that I'm giving them to only have small koi so they have no clue on transporting either.

I would appreciate any help you can give me. 

"Nothing could be finer then a pond in Carolina......"

Offline HEADACHE

• Members
  • With us since: 26/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Transporting BIIIIIGGG Koi
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 09:20:34 AM »
While cooler water holds more air, you'll need Oxygen to fill the bags. Fill the shipping bags enough so the Koi "Floats" in the water, this is normally where the water is just above the eyes. I push down on the Koi once they are in the bag, if it's belly is still touching the bottom, add more water.

Use what most call a Pan Net, only guide the Koi with the net, NEVER lift a Koi of that size out of the water with a net. Have water in the Bag and slide the Koi into the bag as it's resting in the net at the surface. Lift the Koi out (Holding both ends of the bag so it remains long, not on it's end.

Unless you have Koi Shipping Boxes, use large coolers. Make sure the bags & coolers are longer than the Koi. If not the Fins will get ripped. When placing the Box/Cooler in a car, always have the box/cooler pointing to the side of the car, not toward the front/rear. If you must break quickly you won't damage the Nose or long fins of the Koi.

Any more questions, I'll try to follow the thread. Good Luck
President - GLK&GS
Judge - AKJA

Offline Jane C

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 04:30:18 PM »
Thank you so much.

They'll only be transported approximately 15 minutes by car to their new home.  I'm thinking we can do the bag procedure and then, after placing the bag in a large enough cooler or container we can leave the bag open and the cooler open so we won't need the oxygen? I was even thinking of sticking a battery operated aerator into the bag in the cooler that people use to keep bait alive when they go fishing?

Thank you again, I hate having to discontinue my ponds, it's been a great 15 years and I've only been able to do it successfully with the help of the good people on this forum.
Oh, P.S. Always gin clear water and no chemicals ever except chlorine remover!  O0

Offline HEADACHE

• Members
  • With us since: 26/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 08:27:28 AM »
The problem with your plan is the first Koi caught will be in the bag for how long before the trip is completed?

If you're leaving the bags open, just use the coolers without the bags.

Good Luck
President - GLK&GS
Judge - AKJA

Offline Jane C

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 09:23:46 AM »
Not a problem with how long the first koi will be in the bag/cooler, each koi will require a separate trip.  I thought the bag idea you mentioned was a good way to get a koi from the pond into the cooler? 

The people are not only taking the 4 koi, but, also several fancy goldfish.  They will be here shortly for the gf.  They'll come for the koi another day. So glad to find homes for many of our fish.  :)

Thanks again, I'll let you know how it all worked out when it's all done.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"