Author Topic: I was amazed when  (Read 790 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I was amazed when
« on: March 05, 2007, 08:28:46 PM »
I read a news article stating that: "At least 30 states let some newly hired local law enforcement officers hit the streets with a gun, a badge and little or no training."  I honestly thought that every state required academy training prior to going into the field.  Only Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah, Vermont and Wyoming require training before officers are put into the field.  The news article then went on to give a few examples of "oops mistakes" that have happened in states that don't give academy training. 

That information really surprised me.  Can you imagine giving some 20 year old a gun, badge and uniform with no training and then letting him loose in your community? 

In my former department, upon being hired as a police recruit the officer will be on probation for 18 months.  First they must successfully complete 6 months of academy training before they graduate as probationary police officers.  They are then assigned to work with a field training officer for six months in which a "daily observation report" is completed every day.  If they successfully complete that, their next six months of training is with a senior officer who will complete a "weekly observation report".   
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I was amazed when
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 09:10:16 PM »
Doesn't surprise me... Nevada and Washington states regularly try to recruit our officers here.  After my husband retired (from Honolulu Police Dept) recruiters from Washington were calling, asking him to sign on with them.  Seems they didn't have enough "senior" officers. 
If I remember correctly academy training is 13 months here.  And that comes after all the physicals, intell, and pyscoligical (spelling there?) testing. 
Tammie

GAJen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 01:44:13 PM »
The problem with Waycross, GA.....too many rookies with guns.

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 03:15:24 PM »
I also thought they went through training. That expains alot and is scary :o

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"