Author Topic: &%$^# String Algae  (Read 1701 times)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
&%$^# String Algae
« on: March 06, 2007, 04:46:23 PM »
 get the stuff on a big fiberglass boulder below my spillway.  I scrub it off every few months or sooner.  It is a pain.  The water falls over it and makes the splashes less noticeable, kinda guides the water down to the pond.
I have read of peroxide as a fix.  How about if I turned off the pump, pour the HP over the gunk and let it sit for a few minutes?
Any ideas?  better yet, anyone out there  been successfully treating the stuff?

Thanks
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: &%$^# String Algae
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 04:54:51 PM »
Hi Jerry. I just read about this. It kills the good bacteria is what I'm reading and even barlie straw turns into it. Oh here read it, I'm not so good at explaining when I don't really understand it.  Go here!
http://www.exoticwaterscapes.com/pond-msb/showthread.php?tid=30     
Hope this helps you?
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 05:46:48 PM »
If the king of string wasn't so busy moving into his new house, he probably could tell you.
I always liked seeing some, cause it meant that my pond was clear.

BTW, Is that the boulder that Marlyn Monroe sat on? ;)
Inquiring minds have to know.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 06:41:07 PM »
Jerry - in my humble experiece, one just deals with it. As the water warms into summer, and cools into autumn, it seems our ponds just generate the stuff. I tried the HP, and the koi clay - both seemed just to encourage the stuff! Seems like we are due to skip spring this year, so (hopefully) your water will warm, and it will go away naturally.

Thinking good thoughts,

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 06:41:59 PM »
I know one thing about that boulder and that is that it gave Jerry fits when he placed his spillway.

As for the string algae, you haven't dealt with it until your pond is full of it and the fish can hardly get around. They had little tunnels. Wanna know how I know? Uh huh. 3 years ago mine got that bad. Dh and I had to get in the pond and do the Twirl and Hurl dance. What you do is reach down to the bottom, spread your fingers out as far as they will go, twirl your hands around tangling string algae as you go. Then when you have a considerable clump wrapped around your fingers, close them and jerk loose all you can. Bring it to the surface and squeeze the water out of it. Hurl the ball of SA into 5 gallon buckets lining the shore.

Jerry, I use a small bale of Barley Straw in my Skippy. I have even heard to leave some in the pond at the end of summer/fall to keep the SA from forming in the cold weather. I don't remember how long it takes for it to break down but I know I should use more of it than I do. I've used the pellets but maybe too many. I didn't like the way they broke down on the bottom of the pond and layed there like excess crud/mulm. I have also used the liquid but was too lazy to put it in when I should have so I like the bale best because I put it in and forget it.

I've never used the peroxide.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 10:50:22 PM »
Thanks for the tips.  I confess I am a skeptic re: these things.  My skippy has given me clear water most all the time.  Got a little murky today.  I just rinsed the scrub pads.  I expect to be very clear in 24 to 48 hours.
Good article Happy!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 12:33:38 AM »
I have to say if your only having to clean it monthly you are lucky.....my falls have to be cleaned weekly....Just grab a toilet brush and put it on a long pole...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline JoshS

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • In The Country Garden & Gifts
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 09:03:09 AM »
I have to say if your only having to clean it monthly you are lucky.

I agree.  If your goal is to keep the rock from turning green, it won't happen.  I'm wondering if what you have really is string algae (loooong strings) or just a film of fuzzy green algae (the good stuff)?

If it is SA, you might try PondBalance.  It is pretty affective and safe for fish and the other plants.

Otherwise, I think your idea of turning the pump off and pouring H2O2 over the rock would work.  H2O2 breaks down so fast, I don't see how it would harm your beneficial bacteria.  Heck, people add it by the bottle full in some cases.  The info in the link above is from a bacteria manufacturer...take it for what its worth...

There is actually a product designed specifically for removing algae from waterfalls in the exact way you want to use the H2O2, but I'm drawing a blank on the name.  A sprinkle of salt would work, too, if you don't mind adding salt to your pond.
Josh
Iowa - z4

In The Country Garden & Gifts
http://www.inthecountrygardenandgifts.com

Gardener's Touch Hand Cream
http://www.gardenerstouch.net

Offline Rocmon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 09:24:52 AM »
Ah, it's that time of year already. Mine too is beginning to expand. In my limited amount of observations I have found Barley bales to work and not to work—so it must be some thing else at work there as well. I have read that Barley bales produce hydrogen peroxide in small quantities, but at a consistent rate, which is what is supposed to keep it at bay—not kill it.

I have tried HP a few times. I don't bother ay more. (I worry about removing the fish's food by killing the algae, as I don't feed them.) When being conservative with HP little appeared to change. When I turned off the falls and dumped it directly on the algae let it sit 10–15 minutes and did a second large bottle (Costco two pack) poured around the edge of the pond (~1200 gallon pond) yippee results! The stuff turned brown after several days, it seemed like the whole pond algae growth got more brown. (It's not supposed to have that effect) Some of the plants to my recollection also responded unfavorably. Those are my simple observations. I can't say what really created those results as there is way to much going on to narrow down results to any one procedure.

I have also noticed last year and now this, that after repotting, or fertilizing the lilies and other pond plants, that there is a resultant stimulation of algae growing activity. I have begun this years harvest with a bamboo stick, as well as hand picking the gloppy stuff from around the shore. I think it's just a fact of life of ponding, and I'm happy that it cycles so that it's not a continuous chore that never ends. I prefer not to mess with the cycle too much, though I do use the barley straw, and Potash and Iron—but that's more to benefit the plants growing in the pond...

Here's another read about controlling it...

http://www.swedesdock.com/pondnutr.sht

GAJen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 10:26:20 AM »
Got to get Shep on here tonight it's all ove our waterfall.

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 11:07:05 AM »
Thanks for posting that link Rocmon. Great information there :)

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 02:05:38 PM »
Yes good info indeed  and yes I have string algae
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"