Author Topic: Ponds to visit while stopping by as a tourist  (Read 825 times)

Offline Yellow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 02/12/2016
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Ponds to visit while stopping by as a tourist
« on: December 02, 2016, 08:26:04 AM »
This isn't my pond, but I'm not sure where else to start this topic. Topic is: ponds at common overseas stopover locations.

I'll start with Singapore (I took these photos around 2015):

Ang Mo Kio Town Garden West

Bishan-Ang Mo Kio Park

^These are two ponds in easily-accessible (by public transport) parks in Singapore. Their public transport is good. I've mainly taken photos of the lotus in the lotus pond, but there are other interesting things like frogs and dragonflies and fish in them. There was a guy illegally netting some sort of labyrinth fish out of one, and oddly enough he didn't mind me taking a photo of the fish in his bucket in broad daylight.

Another nice "pond" to visit in Singapore is MacRitchie Reservoir Park, which is easily accessible by public transport (the stop on the Circle Line is about a 10 minute walk away). It's a decent hike or jog around the water body, so most people just head in one direction as far as they want and then turn around and head back. Reasonably-priced cafe near the entrance with good stuff. There is also a designated canoeing and fishing area. You can catch some decent peacock bass there, as well as see red-eared sliders, giant gouramies, arowana, tetras, various cichlids, snakeheads... most of which are probably feral escapees. There are also green tree snakes, other snakes, giant millipedes, various birds, macacques, and not really that many people. Do visit it if you're stopping by; it's much more interesting than the shopping centres.

A random pond in Vietnam at a rest stop near the mouth of the Mekong river (around 2011):

Quite colourful.

I just uploaded these pictures to imgur and linked them, in case anyone was wondering how I managed to get more than four photos in a single post.

- Andi
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Current status message: Anyone have spare dwarf lotus seeds? I'd be keen for them.

Wise quote of the month: "Be it a black cat or white cat, it's the fact that it catches mice that makes it a good cat."

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"