Author Topic: What to have with you to pick up koi at the airport  (Read 2341 times)

Offline frloplady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
What to have with you to pick up koi at the airport
« on: March 07, 2007, 09:51:34 AM »
Especially if the airport is a ways away... air pump, batter op or have inverter with to run, Amquel, something else that can hold fish.  An icechest (very clean) or fish bags.  Maybe even your own dechlor'd water source...here is my saga from yesterday.....

Picked up my Brady fish at the airport this afternoon... there was a hole in the box. They even had it noted on the airbill that there was water leaking..but the box was dry?? I opened the box (they wanted me to sign before I did that..no way!) and the bags seemed somewhat deflated, but I couldn't find any holes in the bags?

Called Brady and told him what was going on. Discussed some options. Decided that since I couldn't find any holes and there was still air in the bag I was just gonna drive home. Going down the freeway the more I thought about it, the less I liked it..so started to think of where a pet shop might be..Wasn't sure what I was going to DO but I felt like I needed to do SOMETHING!! I had a few ice chests with me and even considered buying bottled water and transferrring them. Got to the parking lot of the pet shop and checked the bag again..how to find the leak if there was one? Ok push on the bag..and right on top was very small holes through both bags. Called Brady back and told him I'd found the holes in both bags. Went in and bought amquel and a battery operated air pump. Dumped in a bunch of the amquel and made the hole just big enough to get the airstone in there and headed down the freeway. I check them again at the top of the pass (about 40 mins) and I could see they were visibly more active. Got them home and put them in the q-tank to equalize temps. It was quite warm in Washington today and the temps must not have been far off. I could use a digital thermometer to check the temps. They only floated for 10-15 minutes before I could put them in the q-tank.

They seemed to be fine. Pics will have to wait til later. Just not on the priority list.

It's a 3+ hour drive from the airport to home. With side trip and traffic was probably over 4 from the time I picked them up to home. Won't ever go to pick fish up again without amquel, airpump, and probably ice chest with water and/or extra bags. I would have hated to have tried to re-bag them as there was everything from a 19" fish to a 4", but the idea of having water ready in an icechest should the need arise is a interesting one.

I kept hearing in my head to take amquel..take a pump and inverter... Just thought it was my own paranoia It was trying to be divine intervention..but I wasn't listening!!

Fish are in the q-tank and seem to all be ok. I don't have any idea where/when the box damaged occured. The note on the airbill was unclear if it was from unloading in Atlanta or Seattle. If there was no plane transfer in Atlanta it would have been a note from Seattle. It's almost enough to make one panic....

Just happy they seem ok tonight

Added note from this morning... they seem to be ok.  The only one I'm a bit worried about is a small hariwake that will eventually go to a friend of mine along with a kohaku.  She doesn't have a q-tank set up yet, but it made to much sense to transport them all together and share the shipping cost.
Mary

Offline croft

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What to have with you to pick up koi at the airport
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 05:17:35 PM »
frloplady, hope your new fish continue to do well. Your quick thinking probably helped them out a lot. I think I would have been in a panic for sure.
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Offline mekoi

• Members
  • With us since: 27/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 07:06:15 PM »
Mary,

You must be sweating all the way home driving while checking the new koi :o

The things we do for our beloved pets ;D Glad everything went the right way ;)

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 12:13:55 PM »
I only stopped twice after I got the amquel and airpump..could definitely tell they were doing better.
Mary

Offline fl koi farm

• Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 06:39:26 PM »
When I go to pick up the koi at airport I just like hual them back. A lot easier for me. What kind of koi did you buy from Brady {:-P;;

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 11:32:20 PM »
So Rick you get to the airport and one of the boxes has a gaping hole in it.  You have brought nothing with you?  Is the point I'm trying to make.. TAKE STUFF WITH!

Got a couple of kohaku a sanke and a chagoi.  On another thread somewhere with pics
Mary

Offline Noahsnana

• Members
  • With us since: 12/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 08:20:39 AM »
Good post Mary...  you need to be prepared for anything to happen  o( o( o(

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 07:42:18 PM »
Glad you made it home alright with them.  Good quick thinking.  I remember when I picked up my Wakins from Bonnie, She had them packed well in a box, and I had taken a battery airator with me.  I had taken extra bags, and got a cooler from a pet shop they use to ship fish with.  I just wanted to be prepared and it was a little over an hour drive, but I had to go back on the riverboat and play a few more slots before the drive home.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline cindy

• Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 12:22:32 PM »
Great post, alot of us have fish coming for the growouts.

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 04:24:29 PM »
WHAT IS AMQUEL ??? LORRAINE
lorraine

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 07:32:42 PM »
frloplady, you did good. And you did what you had to do. It's a good thing to post about this, because I'm sure many people can benefit. Amquel & Air is almost as essential for travel as Baby Wipes.  :D I do keep a small bottle in my van, and some bottled water for those "ya never know" occasions (they happen a lot), but for something planned it is good to be well prepared.

So ya got fish from Brady? Cool. I'll search for the pics. 
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 10:56:43 PM »
Lorraine Amquel is ammonia binder.  When a fish is shipped in a bag the PH of the water changes in transit making the ammonia non-toxic to the fish. 

When the bag was compromised and fresh air could get in it allows gas exchanges that then changes the PH to a higher ph which then makes the ammonia toxic..or deadly.  So I knew I needed to bind the ammonia in the bag..I probably used a bit more than I really needed  ::)

To end the story...make sure you file a claim in this kind of situation irregardless that the fish are ok..for now.

I did lose 3 of the smallest fish.  One fairly soon and the other 2 later. 

Mary
Mary

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"