Author Topic: UV Light  (Read 2832 times)

Offline Shawn

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
UV Light
« on: March 07, 2007, 01:55:33 PM »
Well, I guess I beat Tink to the draw on this one.. Went to our local Lowe's Clearance section, and low and behold, there sat an 18-watt UV light for the pond. Originally 99, marked down to 74.  Then they gave 75% off of that (18.00 and change @O@  @O@ )...  Course if it had been Tink, she probably would have gotten it for another half off that.  ;D ;D
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.
~ Mark Twain

Russell, Kentucky  Zone 5

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
Re: UV Light
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 02:01:05 PM »
Shawn,

Are you Tinks better half?
 If so, you got your hands full!!

you guys need to post some pics this spring!

Offline Shawn

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 02:26:41 PM »
Nope, not better half.. But we live in the same town... Only 5-10 mins apart at most...  :)  But I do have my hands full with my own better half! ;D ;D
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.
~ Mark Twain

GAJen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 05:37:57 PM »
Ours sure has made all the difference in the world.

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 03:50:02 AM »
What a great bargain Shawn. Our Lowes doesn't have a clearance area  :(  Congratulations!  O0
Ours is incorporated in our Bioforce filter and it sure makes a difference.

Offline milliemax

• Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 05:53:34 PM »
  Went by today and it was marked down to $74. I don't know if they have a clearance section. It's only a year old and I've only been there a couple of times.
  $74 is much better than the minimum $169 when we were looking last summer.
  Does the UV filter help with string algae? Reg algae? Gunk on the bottom? Any thoughts?
  We just have a cheap-o with the foam filters running with a fountain.
  I'll be vacuuming and cleaning this weekend. Temps are starting to come up this weekend! @O@
  I'll go back and see and ask if they have a clearance area.
  Thanks for the info! Nancy
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 06:54:26 PM »
Johns.... LOL on the better half part, we are not but if we were I would be the better half I am sure :D.... I bet your wife ( BETTER HALF)  has to keep on her toes also!

Shawn.. I suppose you got the last one on me.. I went tonight and no uv left. I did find 9 of the ??? waterplant 12 x 12 baskets marked down from 3.99 to  .81. Then all they had left was 3  7' x 10' liners for 15.00.  Guess I will have to keep on my toes to stay ahead of you now :)  Good find.. isnt it fun to find a great deal

tinkster

Offline Rocmon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 07:29:21 PM »
  Does the UV filter help with string algae? Reg algae? Gunk on the bottom? Any thoughts?
  We just have a cheap-o with the foam filters running with a fountain.

No, don't know, and no...

The UV is for green water. Little micro floaty stuff. String; HP is supposed to help or barly bales, red I thought was in the ocean. Gunk on the bottom, a bottom drain. Ok, there's two cents worth...

I'd improve filtration before spending $$$ on UV, personally.

Offline Shawn

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 01:56:50 PM »
It was the only UV light... if there were two, I would have bought it for you..  O0 

I didn't even look at  the other pond stuff tho, figured the only thing left is to replace the liner (hopefully Tink can help with that one!!!  {:-P;; ) and redo the 2 55 gal drums (only had one hooked up last year)..

I agree with Milliemax about the UV light, but for $18, it can't hurt... Always better to have more filtration... I figure if it helps 5% then it is worth the extremely low amount of cash spent...  :)

Anyhow, here's to the pond clearance hunt!!!
~ Mark Twain

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 04:56:53 PM »
Speaking of liners. Anybody got a 10x16' EPDM liner that they want to get rid of? My pond funds are low and I can't find any seaming tape local. I'm about ready to assemble that 4x10' trough that I have been working on. The weather has been cooperating lately.

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline milliemax

• Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 05:20:17 PM »
  Well, went back to Lowes and found the clearance area, but no soap! I asked the guy in that section about it and he said the only one he remembers going that low was around Xmas time and it was for the 4-500 gal pond.He said alot of pond stuff goes on sale in Dec..So I bought the $74 one. Like I said, still half the price of any I've seen yet.
  Started mucking out the pond today and YYYUUUUCCCKKKK! I got a whole bucket of old leaves that snuck past the netting last fall. I'll have to re-work the net thing this year so it doesn't blow around.
  Maybe I should look at the flea market for some of those waders! Good idea!   Nancy
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 06:05:35 PM »
shawn. what size liner are you looking for?  I still have a exacttly half of the roll that I bought from the roofing co. in huntington.  it was a 25 x 50' roll and I use exacttly half of it.. so 25 x 25 is left.

tinkster

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 06:10:04 PM »
steve.... lowes had the 20 mil but its not epdm rubber.  they wanted 15.00 for it and I suspect it might go lower.  IF ya wanted I could pick that up for ya.

tinkster

Offline Shawn

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2007, 06:59:25 PM »
Hmm.. 25x25.. Need to look and see if that would work... Pond might be too big for that... You still friends with the roofing guys in case it is too big?  {:-P;;
~ Mark Twain

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007, 06:28:20 PM »
I had a huge piece of that left and a aide from my daughters school took it just a few weeks ago.. I treid to give it to you and didnt hear anything so presumed you didnt want it. 

You could check with the roofing guy when your up town.. they are right beside the goodwill on winchester ave.  I was driving through the alley and seen those 2 bigs one I got just laying there by the dumpster.  I am sure he would let you have anymore he might get in.  I used part of mine for the lotus pond and two others for the inground lotus pots/ponds I put in. 

tinkster

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 05:41:06 PM »
Hey Tink, if he can't use it, well, I'll pay the shipping cost. Hint Hint!

Happy ponding,
Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Shawn

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2007, 06:55:44 PM »
Amazingly, the 25x25 should fit.. I'll send a PM to discuss further... if it's still available of course...  :)  8-)~
~ Mark Twain

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"