Author Topic: Bricks and Cinder Blocks?  (Read 2686 times)

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Bricks and Cinder Blocks?
« on: March 10, 2007, 01:41:14 PM »
Are they safe to put into the pond? I need to make shelves on the south side and I have lots of those, but it seems to me I heard there not good???
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Bricks and Cinder Blocks?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 01:58:10 PM »
Go for it. I think what you might have heard was about cement. Obviously you are not filling the pond with uncured cement and I think that was where the problem came in. Watch I'm probably all wrong. I have used cement blocks in the pond, bricks, and patio blocks that were cement. Oh and the little retaining wall that holds the soil into my tiny bog is made with small rocks held together with cement/mortor. Don't forget that there are people out there who have cement ponds for their fish. Now somebody who knows, tell us what we've heard the warnings about.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 02:12:21 PM »
Thanks Esther, I'm thinking something in bricks is bad even cured ones? But you have eased my mind.I have a huge stack of them and I have no idea where dh got the or why but I don't think he'll miss a few! hehehe!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Esther

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 04:08:05 PM »
I think it depends on how they were cured/fired or if they were new or not. I have trouble with my skimmer floating up sometimes so I just stuffed bricks and cement patio blocks in around the pump to weight it down. The little retaining wall I mentioned sits between the pond and the tiny bog so the water is up against it all the time.

Offline charlotteda

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Charlottes Website
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 04:31:58 PM »
I've always done it with no "noticeable" problems :)
Charlotte

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 04:46:06 PM »
Thanks Esther, I'm thinking something in bricks is bad even cured ones? But you have eased my mind.I have a huge stack of them and I have no idea where dh got the or why but I don't think he'll miss a few! hehehe!

Debbie, these aren't bricks that your hubby has bought to build something, are they? {nono}

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 08:16:43 PM »

Debbie, these aren't bricks that your hubby has bought to build something, are they? {nono}

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(
{:-P;; ;DAm I getting scolded? lol No he's a pack rat and they have been laying around for ever out back of his shop! It's just a nice place for the real pack rats! And that's no joke!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline andrew davis

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 08:30:31 PM »
You could put the blocks into a bucket of water, soak them for a couple of days and measure whether the ph climbs drastic.

If the blocks push your ph over 8ph, that would make life difficult if the pond is well planted

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 08:50:53 PM »
Thanks all, I guess I could do that Andy, sure wouldn't hurt. Those things have been out in the weather for over 10 years now and it's hard to belive anything is left that's harmful but ya never know.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline andrew davis

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 08:55:06 PM »
Oh, little or no risk if they have weathered for years. Newly cast blocks would be a different matter, if the lime content has not started to leach out

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 08:00:10 AM »
I wouldn't avoid using the blocks even if the pH approached 9.0 as pH values even at that level have little if any effect on most pond plants.  My well water comes out at 8.6 and the plants seem to do jusat dandy.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 09:42:31 AM »
What about my fish? I thought the high pH would harm them?
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 10:26:19 AM »
I'm not sure what kind of fish you have but among others I have kept common goldfish, koi, paradise fish, jewel cichlids and jack dempsey with no ill effect.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007, 10:40:59 AM »
Oh Bless you Craig, with all of you guys saying pretty much the same thing I'm gona go for it. Now Craig while I have your attention!!!! I have carfully read about the deviding of Lillies and I asked  but haven't gotten an answer. At what water temp is is safe to devide and repot my lillie? Everyone one sayes in the spring, But! we all have different spring temps? My water is hanging around 40 to 43* at the deepest point.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

GAJen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007, 11:16:36 AM »
Sorry Debbie I have no experience in this area. :-\

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2007, 12:27:28 PM »
An important part of knowing what you know is recognizing what you don't know...and I don't know nothin' about when to divide hardy lilies.<g>  Down here I do it pretty much whenever I think it is necessary.

I did look up in Perry Slocum's book....an excellent addition to anyone's library....and he strongly suggests hardy lilies shouldn't be potted up until the water has reached at least 60 F.

Hope that helps.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2007, 12:31:10 PM »
Well now there Craig, Now ya know! O0 And now I know, And thank you so much! I have a waise to go yet. :'(
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline SueSTx

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2007, 04:19:49 AM »
If the water is too cold to play in...it is too cold to repot.  When the leaves are reaching for the top...I go ahead.

Offline Koi Boi

• Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
  • With us since: 03/10/2006
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2007, 03:38:20 PM »

My  only concern with brand  new concrete, mortar, or cinder blocks is the existence of hydrated lime or quick lime residue that still may be on the product.  These forms of lime are a good deal stronger than agricultural lime such as dolomite lime that is just a pulverized natural stone.  The lime can leach out of the cement in a concrete pond   in significant amounts because that is quite frankly a sizable amount of concrete, even in any fresh paving around the pond.  All the lime can be neutralized with a brush and a solution of muriatic acid used for swimming pools, ( be sure to wear eye and skin protection if you do it ).  I’m posting a photo of a frame I built for water lilies that holds 8,500 gallons.  I used over 40 spankin’ new cinder blocks from Home Depot to prop  the lilies up near the surface of the pond soon after completion.  Though you cannot see any fish, there are many in the tank and though  I’ve applied new blocks to every pond I’ve ever built…admittedly that’s only six…..I’ve never noticed any ill effect.   I do believe it has to do with whether there is enough free lime available to drive the ph up in a really significant way.  :)       

Paul

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2007, 05:13:19 PM »
Very nice Paul, I would love to have some of thoes giant sauser looking plants. Is it Lotus?
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2007, 10:32:08 PM »
I think those are Victoria lilies, from the Amazon.  You'd need a pond that size to hold them I bet, the pads can get a couple feet across.

That's a beautiful pond, really gorgeous and the view past is nice too.

Offline Koi Boi

• Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
  • With us since: 03/10/2006
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2007, 08:56:49 AM »
Thanks Jonna, my wife and I needed a bigger playground cause we were bulging at the fences in the back yard ( see my bit of jungle post ) so we bought this 3 acre strip of land.  Of course I couldn't wait to have something large enough for a Victoria lily and being on a shoestring budget....up came the wood frame pond right in the middle of huge batch of sandburs!   lol

Paul  :)

Offline SueSTx

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2007, 09:06:40 AM »
I love your pond Paul...how deep is it?  Any filter or pump?

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2007, 10:48:45 AM »
Very nice Paul.

Offline Christy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2007, 12:21:53 PM »
That's a pretty pond.

Christy

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"