Author Topic: Buying a home with a pond already built, but...  (Read 4111 times)

Offline JLaudioF150

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Buying a home with a pond already built, but...
« on: March 10, 2007, 06:07:10 PM »
I have absolutely no idea what to do! I have to admit, I've never really thought about ponds much and never really cared to have one. That is, until I saw this house that we may end up owning pretty soon (next month or so).

I'm not sure on the size - perhaps about 5' x 5' and not too sure on the depth. It is very nicely adorned with the plants, stones, slabs, etc. Here's the thing: the home has be vacant for almost a year and I'm not sure how long the pump and filter have been 'off.' There are hoses sticking out - not even sure where they belong. And get this, there are FISH in there (Koi???) I'm guessing about 3-4 of them. I feel sorry for them! :'(

I'm not sure how long they have been on their own, but what should I do IF I do get this home? Where do I start?

Thanks in advance - I'm new to this. I do appreciate it and I definately want to keep the pond.

Dave

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a home with a pond already built, but...
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 06:13:52 PM »
welcome dave.... congrat  and hope the deal goes through for you.  I would think it will be a matter of getting in there after you get the house and see what is there so you will know where to start.   Am sure when you can give more details many here will be able to give you great advice when you have more details as to pond size, debt, pumps, filters, etc.  and before you know it you will be so addicted to ponding.. its really a great hobby!

tinkster

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 07:01:05 PM »
Congratulations Dave,
Hope it works out for you. If you let us know where you live, you might just find one of us near by to give you a hand. Otherwise, keep us posted on what is going on there.
Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline andrew davis

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 08:25:42 PM »
Pick up a pot of fish food, a pipe and a sprinkler...

If the fish have been unattended for a year, they must have settled down to a fairly stable, steady routine by now.

You might consider picking up a preferred aquatic plant to pep it up if it is a bit barren, a couple of library books on pond keeping, water gardening, goldfish or koi, might get you up to speed on the basics when you have time to spare

Finding out what your water supply is like is something to check, very bothersome if you have city water, which is usually not fit for fish to drink

With Spring on the way, a perk to their diet and a trickle of water would cheer them up on a hot day

Threads such as green water, water quality, dredging a pond might be good timing in the next month or so, threads at koiphen.com can be searched for issues when they become topical, they have extensive archives going back years, rather easy to search

A decent lounger to loaf by the pond might be considered essential, while you muster the energy not to panic or do too much

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 08:40:33 PM »
Hi Dave and welcome. If it's the home you want I hope you get it. Since we don't know where you are or what type of weather your haveing don't get frisky with the fish food. {nono} I would start buy just getting them aireation. Then get a water themomiter to see where the temp is. A small $14.00 pump and a air stone or just hook a sm. line to it and let it bubbel up for now. If the temp of the water is 50 or better you could get a large enough tub or something to fill with the pond water to put the fish in and be sure and cover it with a net or something cuz Koi love to jump out. Don't give them food if the water is below 50*. In fact if they have lived that long unatended they may not need any as they do eat plants and algae or what evere?  Then I would drain and clean out the pond. If your on city water be sure and use the proper treatment for the cloriene when you refill it. While doing this you can start to figure out what all is or is not there. Skimmer, Bio falls, etc. If you can take lots of pix to show us what ya have to better help you.Good luck and keep us posted.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 11:28:42 AM »
Tell us where you are. Well at least a vague idea. There may be a forum member living within a reasonable distance who would be willing to come and get the pond going for you or at least let you know what you need to do. Pictures help us to understand too what you are up against.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 11:26:00 AM »
If the fish have been on their own for a year I would not worry about having to do something to the pond right away. They are probably goldfish and just fine.

Pictures would help. Congrats to you. Ponding is wonderful.

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline JLaudioF150

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 01:22:39 PM »
Whoa! I haven’t been around here much since my original post – thanks everyone for all your support.

Where do I begin? First of all, we FINALLY closed this Monday and I just got the water connected to my home and the electricity sometime today as well. The pond is there…waiting for something to happen.

Upon closer inspection, it is about 8 x 6 ft. Still not sure how deep exactly, it does have the cement/flagstone around the edges, has the aquatic plants growing out of it, I know there is some sort of waterfall, and about 4 hoses sticking out – and not connected to anything.

The water is murky, green with algae, and the fish are swimming about – I think there are about 4 or 5 of them. I have the day off tomorrow so hopefully I can poke around and find out more. I’ll post some pictures up and see if you guys can help me classify some of these plants, pump size needed, fish food, etc. I know so many questions, but I am interested in this ‘pond stuff’ :o) o(

BTW, I’m in the Sugar Land, TX area.

-Dave

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 01:36:41 PM »
Congratulations on your new home Dave.  @O@
How wonderful to have a pond to play with :)  o(

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 01:54:10 PM »
How exciting!
soon you will be "one of us", laying awake at night thinking of building a bigger waterfall, adding a stream.......
Can't wait to see pictures!
Welcome aboard!
kathy
Kathy

Offline JLaudioF150

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 02:27:09 PM »
Thanks! It seems like a fun, rewarding hobby. I’m going to nose around this forum site and get all the information about ponds, koi, plants, maintenance, etc.

I’ve been researching ‘solar pumps and lights’ – I’m skeptical (too good to be true). Though they seem like a great idea, I’m concerned about performance and durability. What brand of pumps and lights are preferred around here btw?

Happy Easter

-Dave 

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 03:40:11 PM »
OK Texas. Who lives in Texas. Jessica is there. Gotta get out the Atlas and see how close you are to her.  Who else is in Texas? Well she's way north and a little west of you so that's not convenient.  OK, anybody else near Houston?

You may end up having to hire a professional to come once you are settled in and help you figure out what the stray pipes are and where they are or should be attached. I suspect they just unhooked all the filtration/circulation etc and left. Nasty people. Did you see fish? They are going to be so shocked to have somebody caring about them again.

Good luck on your move and settling in. In the meantime, don't worry about the pond. If it has survived all this time with noone looking after it, it'll survive a while longer until you can decide what you want to do to tackle it.

Also in the meantime, keep reading this forum and you'll begin to hear things that others are doing that will begin to make sense to you. Scan the different sections and read the tutorials about construction and filtration to begin to absorb the concept of ponding. There are basically two types of circulation/filtration. One is more DIY and uses a submersible pump, no bottom drain and sometimes doesn't even have a skimmer. Usually there is filtration of some sort and a waterfall.  The other is a little more complicated and uses a sealed system much like a pool would have with an out of water pump,  bottom drain, skimmer, various types of filtration and a waterfall. Some even have streams. Most of us have built our own ponds and put together our own setups.

My setup is DIY and I use a Tsurumi 3000 submersibleand I have around 1750 gallons in the 10 x 13 x 28" pond. Meaning it will circulate 3000 gallons per hour and if I remember right you want to circulate your water at least every half hour or was it every hour? So you're going to have to get a rough estimate of the amount of water in the pond to know what size pump to use.    http://www.pumps-in-stock.com/water_calculator.html  Just fill in the bottom box with your pond measurements and it'll figure the volume for you. Or length X width X depth X 7.5 = gallons in the pond.

I don't suppose you can locate the people who owned your house previously. If you can, they may be able to tell you what setup they had. You could beg.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 04:15:27 PM by Esther »

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 04:07:09 PM »
Maybe the neighbors can give you a clue. Could be the former owners took some equipment with them.

I never tried solar, but my first thought would be that before you know it, it's covered with algae and not working.
Kathy

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 04:12:58 PM »
Tim is in Houston isn't he?

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 04:17:57 PM »
Good call Kay. Yes he is. He'd be a good one to advise too. Here's his website.  http://timgodsgraphics.homestead.com/2006GalleryMain.html

Offline Shae

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2007, 07:31:58 PM »
Congrats on the new home Dave, good luck moving in and welcome to ponding! Esther, isn't Carlos aka Spanishleprachaun in Texas? I haven't seen him post recently...hope he's still around. He really knows how to build a pond!

Offline frloplady

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2007, 08:18:37 PM »
Solar pumps can work for a small fountain but not for filtration as it needs to run 24/7. 

I wanna see pictures!!  You will get lots of advice!!  :o
Mary

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2007, 05:56:17 AM »
I looked Carlos up and he didn't have any location indicated on his profile. He hasn't been around here for a while.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2007, 07:04:53 AM »
Hay Dave welcome back! sounds like things are moveing right along. And your doing the right thing buy doing lots of reading. Learn Learn Learn. Pictures please!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2007, 07:17:08 AM »
I've not been impressed with anything solar that we have. The lights are dim and flakey. Sometimes they work, most often they don't. That's why I didn't even think of a solar fountain. You certainly want something reliable for filtration.

Offline JLaudioF150

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2007, 01:44:02 PM »
 O0 Here are the pictures:

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2007, 01:56:40 PM »
I see a big beautiful Umbrella Palm.  Can't wait till you get in it and see what's else is in there.
Kim
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 09:46:40 AM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2007, 02:37:13 PM »
Love those palms! I am so jealous! It's snowing here right now. My pond is frozen again. >:(-
Kathy

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2007, 08:56:31 AM »
Gorgeous, gorgeous pond!  Congrats on your new house.  It does look like a small pond, mine is about 5' x 8'.  I put mine in last year, so I'm also new to ponding.  You've gotten some great advice, but if you are anything like me you don't understand a lot of the jargon, like "skimmer".   :D  I did my pond the easy way to start off, I have an underwater pump and filter kit, with a little attached fountain.  I don't have a waterfall though, and have no clue on how to work those.  You have come to the right place for advice though, I'm sure everyone here can help you out.  One website I use, and get catalogs from, is Dr. Foster and Smith.  That site might give you a little idea of your available options, and I'm sure others here will also have suggestions:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/Shop.cfm?N=62728
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 09:02:13 AM by barb »

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2007, 01:19:18 PM »
Hi Dave.  Welcome to the world of ponding.   o( ::) o(

That is a lovely yard and pond.  All that folliage has probably helped to keep the pond cooler.  I wonder if it would be best to remove the fish to have a good look at them and give the pond a good cleaning? Or maybe just do a water change or top off the pond.  Be sure to use dechlor.

Do you know where that extension cord goes?  Maybe to a waterfall or some such?

Do the fish have barbals?  Are they Koi or goldies...How big?

Carlos lives in San Antonio.  I'm sure there are ponders around Houston.  Try looking for a local Koi or Watergarden Club.  Maybe someone is familiar with your setup and can help.

Offline JLaudioF150

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2007, 06:47:24 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Thanks again for the replies - especially the helpful links! Would it be a good idea to just go with the external filtration set up. Will I be able to have the external filter pour the filtered water through the opening of the rocks for the waterfall/cascade-looking thing.

:)

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2007, 07:54:05 AM »
Is there any evidence of something buried underground? Maybe if you did a drawing of the pond and the pipe ends that are sticking up, we could get an idea. I assume the pipes are coming out of the ground. Where did the water enter the waterfall? Did you say you have fish? Darn, wish I lived closer. I'd love to help. Our problem is that we have to get a better idea of what your pond had originally. That is why we keep asking questions. Were you able to talk to the neighbors or the previous owners about the pond? Probably they will know what's there. Maybe not. 

The exterior pump will need a sealed system with a possible vortex and filter. The submersible does not require as much knowledge to install but it hinges on what those pipes are that's already there and what may be hiding under the ground.

Again, someone asked what the extension cord was to. What is it for?  Please go back and find the questions that have been asked previously in other posts and try to give us some idea of what you may have going  there.

Offline dorsalfin

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2007, 08:27:22 AM »
 :D Well its to late now you have the sickness :-\ If you would not have put your hands in to the water,you may have been alright.
That means you can not turn back now the virus was in the water.
now its in your soul and at time you will here the miss tell when you sweetie!!!!! YOU SMEEL JUST LIKE POND WATER ;D
I have good news though you will live  @O@ but you may suffer from a los of sleep. And want to sleep with a shovel and desire the smell of pvc glue over popourri :'(  and wanting the sound of a waterfall in your ears.

The side effects of haveing a pond so close can be unbearable sometimes but we will be here for ya  @O@ .
And thier will be times when you will get up in the middl of the night and tell the miss I will be rite back.
At that time you will go to a near by window or walk to the pond to make sure the pond and wet pets are all ok.
The rest of the time you will open the window so the waterfall will put you to sleep. And then theres the dreams  both at work and at home at night :'(  Of bigger ponds and lauger waterfalls more fish and more plants more and more :o .

See they did not tell you that when you came on to this web site did they see how sneaky they can be,next they will want to come to your house to have tea. Misery loves company but good for you  :P You have found  a great buch of company. lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

I thought I would pull at your leg before I WECOME YOU in to a bunch of sick pople  o(:-)I mean good people lol lol
Just remember know mater what have fun with this hobby it can be frustrating at times. But its very rewarding and you will realy have fun  braging about it @O@ I mean talk about it to friends and family 8-)~

o( Your Fellow Ponder Dorsalfin  o(

« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 09:21:29 AM by dorsalfin »

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2007, 08:46:47 AM »
 :o ED, don't let out our secrets.. ::)

Offline Shae

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2007, 10:03:09 AM »
ROTFLOL!!  :D What a great way to initiate a new ponder!!   8-)~

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"