Author Topic: My new Pond & Garden!  (Read 6140 times)

Offline Kristin F.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
My new Pond & Garden!
« on: August 20, 2006, 05:59:14 PM »
Hi you all - long time no...

I've been terribly busy all summer - here is why:

I cannot emphasize this to often;
It is because of you, good unselfish forum-people who have taken the time to post building threads, answers to questions, helpful hints etc. that I was able to learn all the "how to's".

This thread is my contribution to all of you. Honest. THANK YOU! *BigSmile*

This is what my garden looked like when I bought the house, the photo is taken in March and displays the emptyness clearly .. but I saw the potentials immediately

Then I made a "photo-shop" drawing of the new pond to be. I decided that I would start with planning the pond and then create the garden around it.

I moved in on May 28th - my birthday actually and couldn't have got a better birthday present.
Before I finished unpacking and was half-settled in my new home, I started on the pond.
I just couldn't wait to get started! The fish were in a 26 gallon plastic container, and I was worried that they would suffer in there - though I found out as the days went by that they were actually ok since I did frequent water changes etc.

You can see the container in the following picture, this is when I  (finally) started the digging!

..and a "few" shovels later

I was so surprised that the soil is almost rock free and it is the perfect plant soil. Even better then the soil bought in a Garden Center .. so it was quite easy to move it.

And yes, I did it all by myself by hand, using my shovel, without any help from others .. this next picture is taken when I was finished digging. Notice the huge piles of soil - just wait to see where it went to - that comes later *wink*

It is 3 feet deep at the deepest, 1 feet in the shallowest parts.

and a view towards the house - the pond is formed like the number 8, the pond closest is the mud pond, the one next to the house is the lily pond. In between on the narrow part the future bridge is planned to be and the fish can swim back & forth ..

Oh my, creating this post and looking at the pictures brings back the memories - it was raining / pouring every day, thankfully it stopped raining every now and then for one or two hours, but the soil was soaked really at all times.

All my plants were stored in plastic bags in the corner closest to the house, actually it rained so much that I never needed to water them, not even the lilies!
..actually a few of the non-pond plants almost drowned, my apple tree was suffering for a while until I poaked a few holes in the plastic bag .. this next picture shows a few of my pond plants!
They all survived actually!

zone 8a

Offline Kristin F.

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: My new Pond & Garden!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 06:00:23 PM »
This is where I am folding out the underliner / isolation. It is four layers of plastic material used to cover boats and such - very cheap and the perfect underlayment because there are no rocks or sharp items in the ground, just soft soil

Then the liner arrived! It is a typical EPDM/Butyl/Rubber/Pond Liner ..

..unfolding it took a very long time, it is incredibly heavy and I had to adjust it to the curvy irregular pond shape

Day 3, starting to fill the Pond! (waiting to exhale)

Did I mention the liner is 36 feet long? ..and 13 ft wide ..
The Pond is 29ft X 6.5ft average width

I used garden soil in the mud pond

It took almost 6 hours to fill it up - but it was certainly worth the wail *LOL*
The tap water here is not clorinated. It is very pure and actually it is the same water that is bottled to be sold in Europe and U.S.
zone 8a

Offline Kristin F.

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 06:01:23 PM »
This young lady followed my every move - she was a stricht construction designer, ordered me to take a break every now and then and show her the same attention as the showel & dirt! *LOL*

Princess Pim (Miz Kitty) was to refined to join the fun - she stayed inside or in the neighbours garden during the prosess, obviously shocked by watching me ruining the garden .. believe me, it was A MESS. Mud everywhere and I was wearing rubber boots at all times in the garden..

After draining the roots of the Apple Tree, it actually started to bloom - still in the plastic bag above ground!

In this next photo, I have started to lay out the turf to create the edges of the Pond.

..meanwhile the fish stayed in the container, waiting to explore their new home

I used the rest of the turf to build a slope for the stream and waterfall. Here I'm creating it, to be honest I have altered it a few times later on - but the bird house stayes on top of the Skippy-thingy *LOL*
The Skippy is a 31 gallon garbage can filled with black floor scrubber pads cut up in irregular sizes ..

The plants went in, the round black thingy is the skimmer.

A view from the kitchen window - my favorite view from inside the house

zone 8a

Offline Kristin F.

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 06:02:13 PM »
Here I have started to add gravel and rocks - I went to the firm that sells the gravel & rocks and hand picked every stone and every rock. For almost 2 hours! The guys working there obviously thought I was mad because I loadet the whole ton of gravel and rocks in my Volvo sedan!
- yes you are reading it correctly, a whole ton -
I must be a idiot to do such a thing, but the car survived *LOL*

Notice that it is raining almost constantly, now the soil in the garden is soaked. We had rain in June every single day the whole month, actually there was only sun for a few hours spread on 4 days in total .. we haven't had such a "wet" June month since world war 2 according to the Meterologists..

The bridge and the garden bench are in situ..

Looking under the bridge

I just love this cute little fellow

This picture shows the liner and underlayment

This plant finished blooming before it reached the pond - don't know the english name ..

Same plant

zone 8a

Offline Kristin F.

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 06:03:39 PM »
Water is flowing and I continued planting
The Pond Pump is a Oase Aquamax 8000, it sits on the bottom of the lily pond and functions as a bottom drain as well as skimmer pump..

I moved this tree from the center of the garden to the end of it - by hand of course *BLUSH*

This is where it was located

Like I said, the garden was really a mess

Finally, after two weeks in the plastic container, the fish went in the pond

..and it continued RAINING

zone 8a

Offline Kristin F.

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 06:04:47 PM »
I admit that it was hard work indeed .. never underestimate yourself - If I can do it in 2 weeks, so can you! *wink*
..and my back survived, actually..

The garden is the main reason why I bought this place, I felt a strong need for creating my own peaceful garden retreat on my own property, when I contacted my Real Estate Agent I asked him to find a private garden for me - and that the house / apartment was not the most important issue "just find a private property at this price and never mind if there is a Hen-house to go with it instead of a decent living area!"
It wasn't easy to find a place in my price range, but I'm so happy here.

It is a decent 3-room apartment in a Terrace-house (sp. + term.?) The house contains 6 apartments in a row.
It is just 10 minutes drive north of Reykjavik, and much more peaceful and quiet then the stressful noisy city. I lived on a busy street in Reykjavik and the difference is great. Much cleaner air here as well.

Anyway, back to the "progress";

July came and finally rainy days were outnumbered by sunny days!
I continued planting, created the lawn and sowed grass seeds - I decided to create grass edges instead of rocks along the lawn side because the garden is rather small. I wanted the grass area to continue "into the pond" so to speak..

But on the other side of the pond I decided to have rocks on the edges, in the next photo, yours truly is stacking rocks I collected on a nearby shore/beach.
..This time, I transported the rock in two trips! *blush* -AND got help from a friend who took the photo

The next day I started to create the rock edge..

overlooking the finished edge - looking toward the neighbours yard/garden.

Heba Isabel got tired of watching me and decided it was time for a nap - English Bulldogs need lots of rest *LOL*

The Fuchsia started to bloom

And my lilies sent up new pads almost every day - so far I have only 4 lilies in the pond.

zone 8a

Offline Kristin F.

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 06:06:10 PM »
I decided not to use Lava around the Pond, because the stones are very sharp at the edges and might damage the liner if they would accidently fall in .. but I might use lava in other parts of the garden when I start to make flower beds next spring .. we'll se

Now - I removed the bridge to clean it and seal it with oil.
I used the opportunity to shoot a overall photo

"Mummy, that's much better"

Now what are you and the neighbour doing!??

We decided to build a fence around our gardens

urrgh, you people are crazy! I'm exhausted..

Mummy, don't listen to that fat lazy bitch -
I think it's a lovely gesture to close the garden to give us more privacy, and shelter it from the wind - mjau..

much better - now we just have to protect it with oil, maybe a little darker color so it won't stand out so much..

zone 8a

Offline Kristin F.

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 06:07:24 PM »
Okay - finally -
I took the following pictures just a couple of weeks ago

A close up of the stream & falls

From the side

The mud/veggie pond

Looking towards the house - as you can see, the garden is rather small, but it's big enough for one crazy lady and her dog & one cat *LOL*

zone 8a

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 06:23:45 PM »
I don't even know what to say!  That's a terrific story and pictorial essay and I thank you for sharing it!  I've really enjoyed it. 

Your pond is lovely and it's very clear that you've worked very hard on it.  Beautiful garden and yard and fence.

Your furkids aren't bad either - so cute!!!

Welcome to the forum, happy to have you!

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 06:26:58 PM »
It's stunning Kristin (8:-)

I am going to add this to the tutorials section. I really enjoyed the reading and few giggles along the way.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 07:03:34 PM »
Wow Kristin, you have so much to be proud of.  O0  Hubby and I built ours, I can't imagine doing it by myself.  Everything looks wonderful, you did a great job designing it.  Love the bridge, the fence, the dog and cat. Congratulations!!!!!!
Karen

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 07:18:02 PM »
Oh wow! Like Teresa said, I don't know what to say. It is an incredible story, great photos, and one person doing all that, in the rain, is just amazing. I live alone too, and that ends up being my excuse for not getting things done. A good friend of mine in Berlin says the same thing - "It is difficult even to hang a picture by yourself - you need somebody to hold the nail".

Kristin, I am inspired to do more around my place now - you have robbed me of excuses. Mind you, I don't have a Volvo!

Let us see more photos.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006, 07:21:09 PM »
OMG Kristin!  What an entertaining and thoroughly enjoyable thread!!  I am in awe of your abilities in designing your pond and garden.  Thank you for sharing with us and I love your darling "children".  Cheers to you, I wish I could just drop in with a bottle of champagne and munchies to help you celebrate your accomplishment!!  O0

LuAnn
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2006, 07:21:34 PM »
that is just amazing!  Everything is so beautiful.... you have much to be proud of!  I to built my pond alone and I know how difficult it is... Great job!

tinkster

Offline thedahlialama

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • just grow it
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2006, 07:26:15 PM »
gee, all the good adjectives have already been used. it really is incredible and inspiring!! and you have every right to feel very, very proud of yourself! O0

it was like reading a well written & illustrated magazine article. i looked forward to each new segment with anticipation. the final results are simply stunning!! i really look forward to seeing it grow and mature. please keep posting bits and pieces regularly!  o(:-)

Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2006, 07:50:12 PM »
Kristin, that is soooooooooooo lovely.  What an inspiration you are!   I am in awe.  It's great that you took all those photos and took the time to show us all the steps you took along the way.  You must have been working like a mad women to have all that ready for your fish in just two weeks!  Hope you have some time to sit back and enjoy all your efforts before it gets really cold.  Congratulations on a job very well done.   I just love it!   O0  O0  O0  O0 emm

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2006, 08:28:35 PM »
It's gorgeous!!! You worked hard and what a great retreat to show for it.

And I love the dog.  :)
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2006, 08:36:56 PM »
You did an outstanding job, you should be VERY proud of yourself!!!  I really enjoyed your pics of your progress.  Thanks for sharing!

~Kimberly~

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline finnpond

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2006, 09:08:33 PM »
 8)
Oh Yeah!!!!!  What a great job you did!!!!  Lookin' goooood!!!

Dave

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2006, 09:24:35 PM »
Kriston,
I hardly know where to start. You should be, and I'm sure are, very proud of what you have built. What a fantastic job! O0
You remeind me of my sisters.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Mucky_Waters

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2006, 09:44:06 PM »
Nice pond and nice story.
I always like seeing construction progress photos and yours are very complete and entertaining.

Just how cold does it get there in Iceland? And how deep do you expect the pond to freeze?

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2006, 10:41:14 PM »
Yes to all of the above and what a fine tutorial it is as well!! O0
Shades of Carlos!  I think you compete with him very well.

Nifty job! O0 O0 O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Cindi

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2006, 07:56:07 AM »
What a beautiful pond you have!  o(:-) o(:-) o(:-) Like every one else has said you have good reason to be proud of the work you have done.  I know you said you don't know the American name of the plant by the bridge with the yellow flowers, but if any one else may know I would love to know as I want one!  LOL!!  Please keep the pictures coming.
Cindi
Cedar Springs, MI , Zone 5

Offline Daisy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2006, 08:30:35 AM »
 :o WOW!!  :o
Well all the good words have already been used, so I just have to repeat what everyone else said.  ;) You did a FANTASTIC job...especially doing it yourself!  O0  I don't know that I could have done what you did. I wasn't that much help when we build ours . My DH and DS's did most of the work  ::) . I hope everytime someone admires your pond you let them know that you did it all yourself. You deserve every oooh and aaah!!   o(:-)

Offline Kristin F.

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2006, 11:09:24 AM »
Thank you all!
Please, your compliments make me blush ..
I did plan everything for months before I moved, then again when I finally moved in - it was very much hard labour indeed and "my back-side" has moved from behind my thighs up to the shoulder-blades! -but I enjoyed every minute of it - and still do, as I'm far from finished.

We have mild temperatures during winter, frosty spells are few and rare until January/February when it gets colder and the temp may drop down to -5?C or maybe -10?C for a short period of time.
Then I use a deicer to keep a opening in the ice. Last winter the ice was 5cm thick after a frosty spell that varied for almost 2 weeks.

I did experience with the garden bench on the other side of the bridge but found that it would be too crowded - even for a small coffe table and 2 chairs, mainly because I'm planning to add plants and flowers there so the path and the bridge will lead to the Apple tree I have planted next to the fence. So the bridge "makes a point" so to speak, the Apple Tree is the "enticement".

I did take my original fish with me from the old place, they came with the garden stuff in the plastic container the same day I moved. I really didn't want to take any chances leaving them behind to fetch them later, so actually they were in the container for almost 3 weeks, not 2 weeks like I stated before..

The flowerbeds are definitely the next project. When the fence is finished all the way around, I'll start planting. Maybe I'll wait until next spring - it depends when my neighbour will finish what he has promised to regarding the fence... close the open space underneath / between the fence units and the ground.

The fence is bought in units i.e. ready to be set up. All we had to do was mix up some concrete to sement the poles into 2ft deep holes and then attach the fence units. Luckily my sister and a few friends came to help me and my neighbours with this, but there is still some work to do before I can start planting along it.

My neighbours are a young couple who moved here one year ago. They are very nice people, actually the woman joked about making the pond continue into their garden as well and not build the fence at all - they just love the sound coming from the waterfall & stream. They could hear it when inside their house before we build the fence but now they have to practically put their ears against the fence to hear it *smile*

Here are a few photo's of some plants I've been planting in and around the pond recently.

Pond Iris I collected from a wild pond nearby

and other plants - I do not know their english names

Rose "Ena-Harkness" by the waterfall, just about to blossom

Umm .. err.. is this an apple on my apple tree?

Another "no-name" plant

Nuphar Luteum

A small Hosta "Love Pat"

zone 8a

Offline croft

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2006, 11:53:57 AM »
Kristin, I remember your old pond and your new one is just beautiful! More pics please.
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2006, 12:10:02 PM »
Kristin,

Like everyone else said, you did a spectacular job!!!!  I don't think I could do half of that by myself...

It turned out lovely and I'm sure you will enjoy it for a long long time.  Guess the neighbors will just have to build their own now... :)

Your dog and cat are sure cute too!

Take care.

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2006, 12:54:06 PM »
That was very entertaining!  Wow!  I built my pond this spring in two weeks, but it's only 5'x8'.  And I had been so proud of myself, all that digging and messing with that horrifically heavy liner.  But you have put me to shame, your garden and pond is simply gorgeous, and so big!  I'm sure your furry friends must have been a big help, too.   ;)  I can't wait to see more pics as your pond and garden matures.  TFS!

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2006, 02:28:02 PM »
Wow Kristin! O0  Ya done good!  That is a very interesting and humorous pictorial of all the work you have done.  You have very good writing skills.  I can't believe the before/after photos.  You must be proud and your neighbors must be envious.  That fencing you added was a touch of class to make the yard pop.  I can't believe how much you got done in such a short period of time.  You'll be sad come winter when it gets covered in snow but spring will be just around the corner.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Kareen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2006, 03:04:52 PM »
I am in awe  8) and actually tired for you after reading all the work you did in a short time. It looks wonderful  :) and I do hope you keep posting photos as your plants go in. If I saw that fence in the states it would be mine  (8:-) ...love it all. Thanks for sharing it. Kareen

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"