Author Topic: Hummingbirds?  (Read 2583 times)

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Hummingbirds?
« on: March 15, 2007, 08:52:57 AM »
Does anyone feed hummingbirds? Do you have specific plants that they like? I ran across a neat webpage that tracks them.
http://www.learner.org/jnorth/humm/spring2007/Update031507.html
I am in ant eradication mode. They are everywhere and now they are trying to get into the house. What pests! They totally overwhelm the hummer feeders  >:(- I am going to keep up with my ant killing program this year.

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
Re: Hummingbirds?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 09:15:16 AM »
I have fed them for the last 10 years. I have 4 that have returned for the last 2 years. They are territorial so there is always this air battle going on. They seem to stake a claim to certain feeders and the alpha bird tries to stop the others from feeding. I had to separate my feeders a bit so that all have a chance to feed. They also feed off the nectar from my hibiscus, firecracker bushes, butterfly bushes, butterfly weed, cannas, fuschia, milkweed, and daylilies. They also feed on small insects so in addition to being fun to watch they are also a good insect vaccuum.
Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

GAJen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 09:27:51 AM »
We had a hummingbird feeder that had the liquid feed you mix syrup with. Didn't get too much response from the birds but a few plants around here do. We see maybe 3 a year. Our biggest attraction is woodpeckers.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 10:17:50 AM »
I hang my hummer feeds from a S hook.  I had ant problems as well until I put a small glob of Bag Balm on two locations on the S hook.  They have never caused me anymore problem.  Petroleum Jelly would likely work well also but I just used what we had on hand....  As far as flowers are concerned, my hummers love our Salvias, of which I have several varieties.

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 11:24:27 AM »
Thanks for the plant suggestions.
Mikey,
  I tried the vaseline. They got stuck in it alright and once there were enough dead ants to make a bridge they trampled right across the dead ones and right into the promised land. Ant moats only work for a while then they figure out how to make an ant chain across the lake. The only luck I've had is putting the feeder on top of a canister in the middle of a very large bowl of water. They haven't figured out how to swim the ocean yet but I think they'll figure it out eventually.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 12:21:13 PM »
Scarelt Runner Bean Vine is an annual that attracts them too.
Pretty, and edible too.
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 02:02:10 PM »
Thanks Joyce. I'll have to get some.

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 02:06:04 PM »
Kay: In that case, perhaps there's something in the Bag Balm they don't like or you have a different breed of ant.  The ants we have here are the little black Argentininian ants.  I believe I once read that Borax is bad for ants.  You might try mixing some Borax in the vaseline.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 05:51:20 PM »
Hi Kay, every year I put out 8 to 10. Like Timgod said, they fight a lot so I give them lots of choises. I put a tuna can filled with the juice and dish soap below the feeders out of harms way. It works well at getting them buggers. You have to dump it lots but worth it to me. Same with beer in the tuna can for slugs and earwigs. They love trumpit vine and hunny suckel, also they love my perineal sweet pea, as do the deer.One year my dh's brother and wife were here and we were having our am coffie on the deck. Lydia (sil) has very long nails and lots of rings. She had a juvinile land on her hand just working away at her polish and rings. No one dared move! It stayed about 2 or 3 min. Very excitting. They always feed out of my hand when I'm refilling there jugs but have never landed on my hand.Maybe I should take to wearing bright polish :D we alway have a million after the hatchlings start feeding freely. Just so much fun to sit on the deck with them.Evening just before dark they really gang up.I love getting pix of them.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 07:32:55 PM »
Kay if you want some Scarlet runner bean  vine I have tons of seeds, saved them from last year,  PM me your address and I'll mail you some.  And any one else who wants some also, I have way more then I'd ever use.  They grow very fast, I had mine on one of my arbors.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 07:39:35 PM by marla »
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 07:50:25 PM »
I would love some Marla. How sweet of you to offer.
You have a PM

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 08:03:48 PM »
Mikey,
  We have those tiny little black ants. We call them sugar ants. Nasty things and in to everything. I'll have to try the boric acid. Thanks for the suggestion.
Debbie,
   How neat to have so many. Hopefully we will get to see pictures :) I'll have to try your suggestion as well. What is perennial sweet pea? What does it look like? I don't think I've ever seen it.
Kay

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 08:45:37 PM »
Hi Kay, I probably spelled it wrong but it's just a reg sweet pea vine only instead of dieing out each year it keeps comming back. It's hot pink!  I never pick the big old pea pods and they are popping up everywhere on my top bank in a place that it's great for. When they go to seed again I'll send you some. Remind me later in the summer.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 08:50:25 PM »
It sounds wonderful. I would love to try it. Thanks!

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 09:45:29 PM »
Same with beer in the tuna can for slugs and earwigs.
AhHa!  So you're the one.  While visiting my sister last summer in WA I saw some slugs staggering across the road and I was wondering who got them all boozed up.... :o

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 04:18:40 AM »
I put out about 9 humming bird feeders as well.   I put out purple wave petunia's and they seem to really like them.  Last year, I had a mixture of flowers in a pot on the rail of my deck.  There were petunia's in that also.  One of their favorite hangouts last year.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 04:35:45 AM »
Same with beer in the tuna can for slugs and earwigs.
AhHa!  So you're the one.  While visiting my sister last summer in WA I saw some slugs staggering across the road and I was wondering who got them all boozed up.... :o

So will I get arested for contributing? lol
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 05:36:21 AM »
They love the Cardinal plants, and Bee Balm, Fushia's here also, almost any of the bell shaped and/or red flowers.  I also hang out feeders, just have to remember to take them down early so the little guys remember it gets cold here and they start migrating back.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2007, 05:58:44 PM »
I never seem to have to worry about it. One day there here and the next day poof!  I keep thinking it's time but it really isn't for this side. DH always says to me. If you feed them they will come. and he hasn't said that yet?  ;D But it is still to cold for them. Love to watch them zip in and out of the top big water fall.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2007, 09:10:10 AM »
I always put out feeders every year.  In addition to the previous plants mentioned, they also love Impatiens, which are annuals.  They also love Bee Balm/Monarda.

I've never had problems with ants, but I do have terrible problems with bees at the feeders.  They chase the hummingbirds away, as well as us.  Any suggestions?

Offline croft

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2007, 09:26:25 AM »
Barb, I think that they make Hummingbird feeders with something called a bee guard (?)..... I think it might have something to do with the length or shape of the opening in the feeder. The Hummingbirds can reach the food with their long tongues but the bees can't.
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2007, 09:55:11 AM »
I've also read that the yellow flower on some feeders can attract bees.  However, once they find the source then removing the yellow flower won't help.

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2007, 10:57:39 AM »
I think you are right about the yellow flower attracting the bees.  I didn't know and put one up by the pond in Cat City, with yellow flowers. The bees swarmed it, even after I changed the opening to keep them out they were all over it trying to get in.  I heard about yellow attracting them and took it down and replaced it (but in the same place) and they never left. I had to get rid of it.  Next door, my friend has 3 or 4 feeders and no bee problem. All of the flowers on hers are red.

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2007, 09:30:47 PM »
I occassionally have a problem with yellow jackets. I get honey bees on them but very infrequently. Yellow jackets are drawn to yellow. If you buy a yellow jacket trap, they are between a bright yellow and a yellow green the color of antifreeze. I have found that if the bees show up, I just bring in the feeders and wash them in very hot soapy water. You must then be careful not to allow any of the sugar water to leak onto the outside. The bees normally cannot get to the nectar unless it is too near the edge of the flowers. They usually are not a problem after that as they lose interest if they cannot get to the nectar.
Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline Rocmon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2007, 10:00:53 PM »
We have Anna's all year, and not long ago the Allen's showed up. Most of the time they are very territorial, but I love this time of year when they must be doing the nesting thing as they tend to share a feeder. Then it suddenly stops, and one stands guard again.

Yellow jackets I hate'm. They are constantly after the feeder. I kill them one by one. The yellow jacket trap isn't much of a help. It maybe better this year as we now feed the cat on the other side of the house... will see. The one feeder I have that has a built in moat doesn't stay wet long enough, but ants so far haven't been an issue.

My problem is the warm weather builds up pressure in the feeders and makes them drip a lot. The one flat feeder that doesn't drip lets small insects into the juice to drown...

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"