Author Topic: A few pics of my pond mutts  (Read 2033 times)

Offline Shae

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
A few pics of my pond mutts
« on: March 19, 2007, 01:33:52 PM »
Took a few pics today and thought I would share with y'all.    o(

« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 02:01:00 PM by Shae »

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: A few pics of my pond mutts
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 02:57:52 PM »
Beautiful fish :) How big is your pond?

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 03:29:42 PM »
Great looking fish O0 Love that crystal clear water o(:-)

What is the white one?

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline slackjeep

• Members
  • With us since: 17/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Photogallery
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 03:35:53 PM »
great photographs.  you have quite the variety there.  Thanks for sharing them with us.   O0
Dorys

Offline Shep

• Members
  • With us since: 29/12/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 03:52:13 PM »
Oh yeah! Nice Shae..........Love the fish and the crystal clear water....... the yellow ones are eye catching.

Offline Shae

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 04:04:11 PM »
Thanks for the compliments. I'm hoping the water will stay clear.

Kay, my ponds a little over 2,000 gallons and not quite 2 years old yet. It's 10'x15'x30" at its deepest part. We put water in it for the 1st time on Mother's Day 2005. I still have a lot of work I need to do on the waterfall, have even thought about tearing it apart this year and redoing it completely.

Steve, the big white one with the whiskers is an albino catfish. I got it back in 2005 when I first started adding fish. In fact, I did have 3 of them until 2 got stuck in the skimmer last year and couldn't get out because they were too big. I lost 1 one week and the 2nd one got caught in the skimmer the next week. They really beat themselves up trying to get out. They were only about 3-4" long when I first got them, but they grew really quick. I figure the one that's left is at least 2' long now.

Shep, one of the yellow ones is a white butterfly koi with yellow markings. The other one is the albino catfish.

I have way too many fish for the size of the pond, but can't bring myself to get rid of any of them.

Offline WV Kim

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 04:50:20 PM »
Hi!

Your catfish is big for one year   8-)~ 8-)~!!

Your goldie's are good lookin too!!

Kim :)
Zone 5b

GAJen

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 06:14:11 PM »
Wow Shae they are beautiful and your pond water is great.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 07:58:24 PM »
Love that white catfish ! All of your fish are beautiful!
bonnie

Offline Christy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 04:49:31 AM »
Shae,

Your pond looks like mine, i cant get rid of any of my fish either. But i like that albino catfish, he didnt get that big eating on all of that parrot's feather did he? haha.You have some pretty fish.

Christy

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 05:30:22 AM »
Shae your fishies look great  O0 O0...love the albino cattie....we got one last year and I was amazed at how fast he grew.....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline croft

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 10:46:17 AM »
Shae, nice pictures of your fish. What kind of filtration system do you have? I can't seem to get my pond water that clear. I have about 25 goldfish in 1800 gal but the biggest are only about 5-6 inches.
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 01:22:12 PM »
Your pics look nice, can't ready to get out there with mine.  Keep posting.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Shae

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 07:17:36 PM »
Croft, when we first started our pond, it was with one of those aquascape micro pond kits. I remember DH had just finished digging the initial pond 8'x10' and said you know it's only going to be about 700 gals. Right then and there I decided to enlarge it. I wanted closed to 2000 gallons. So DH started digging again, and we ended up with 10'x15'. I used the mini skimmer that came with the kit. It connects to a 100 gal skippy via 2" pvc. I use 20" buffer pads in the skippy. DH and I redid the plumbing in January, made it all below pond level and put our sequence external pump directly behind the skippy. I was amazed at how that improved the flow of the water. When we hooked up the external pump, I took my pondmaster waterfall pump out and now have it in the bottom of the pond near the skimmer. It's connected to a pondmaster submersible uv light and then to the original microfalls that came with the pond kit. I'm only running it a few hours each day right now. I really wish I had put in a bottom drain, but maybe I'll be able to get a retro bottom drain this season.

I was telling DH that spawning season is not far away. I've got some fat sarassa comets that look that they're bursting at the seams. When I was sitting outside early tonight they were starting to chase each other all around the pond. It was really funny, one of the sarassas was nudging up to one of the koi and the koi was twice its size.

Christy, that catfish is the funniest thing when he's eating. He literally skims the surface gobbling up the food. He's like a hoover vacuum.

Kim, we will have had the cat 2 years in June or July. But he has grown more than any of the other fish by far.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 08:08:08 PM »
Just beautiful, water so clear, mine the ice is just off and can tell it needs a good cleaning.  Amazing how many of your fish ressemble mine, must be the pedigree mutt mix.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline croft

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2007, 05:29:54 PM »
Thanks, Shae.  I have a retro bottom drain and use a 55 gal drum for mechanical then thru an external pump to a skippy-like set up 55 gal drum then over the falls. I think I may need to beef up the area I have for biofiltration and maybe add a uv light.

By the way, hope you don't end up with too many babies  o( o( o(  ;D
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Offline Shae

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2007, 05:42:08 PM »
Joanne, I would be very interested in seeing how you have your retro drain hooked up to the drum and what's in the drum. My dad is going to be bringing me some drums later this spring, and I want to get them setup. I'm just not sure how to go about doing it.

Offline croft

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2007, 08:24:46 AM »
Shae, I don't have any pictures of exactly how everything was connected. Here's what I could find:
1. Bottom drain and some piping laid out before actual build
2. Hole dug for "pumphouse"
3. Mechanical filter barrel placed in hole
4. Pipe from bottom drain (highest point) after coming up from the bottom drain. You can see where it begins to go down toward the filter barrel.
    Avoid doing it this way. It's much better to come out of the side of the pond at the same level that you would go into the bottom of your filter
    barrel. We had hard shale to jackhammer through or I would have had my pipe deeper. The more elbows in your piping the slower the flow. Also,
    all piping must be below lowest water level.
5. Pumphouse setup with the pond being on the left of the pic. This shows the quilt batting at the top of the barrel. I have lots of netting below
    that. This is an upflow type of filter with the pond water comming in from the bottom, flowing through the netting and out at the top. I also
    made the outflow hole too high and had to turn the pipe so the opening remained below water level after the pump is turned on. Make sure the
    barrel sits so that when pump is off the top of the barrel is 1 or 2 inches higher than the water in the pond. The outflow 2" pipe is attached to
    barrel with a bulkhead fitting. The bottom 4" inflow pipe was attached with a home-made fitting (can't remember right now how we made it).We
    have also attached a seive-like fitting over the outflow pipe so fish and frogs which manage to squeeze by the netting don't make it to the pump.
    Many people say the outflow should be 4" as well until right before the pump (I found this out after)

This is definitely not the ideal set up and needs some improvements but it gives you the general idea
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Offline croft

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2007, 08:26:04 AM »
last pic
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Offline Shae

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 11:05:00 PM »
Joanne, thanks for the pics and details! I'm definitely going to have to study this.  :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"