Author Topic: Digging lotus pot today and oh MY! help please with adding oscomite....  (Read 990 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I was digging the lotus to ship to el elfe today in the tub that is outside and after I pulled out enuff for him I thought well might as well dig into the rest and see what is there.  and boy there must be 20 huge tubers. 

My question.... last year I believe I added to much ocsomite.. I didnt follow joyce directions to closely.   this lotus did well growth wise but never bloomed last year.  Now that I have them all out I think I need more dirt. I dont believe there is 5 inches of dirt left.  I am debating whether to add more oscomite this year or let it be. 

2nd question.. how do yall fertilize with oscomite without digging all the dirt out .. I have the lotus pond that would be to much to dig it all out etc.. do you just sprinkle oscomite in the water???

Thanks for any info.

tinkster

GAJen

• Trade Count: (0)
Sorry Tink I can't help I've never tried a lotus I'm afraid to.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
What happened to my reply? >:(
I typed out a whole big message and it's gone? >:(-

Anyway, do not sprinkle Osmocote into the water, or ANY fertilizer for that matter,
unless you want to grow LOTS of algae. :o

Try poking a deep hole with a dowl or something, as deep as you can, then pour a couple tablespoons down the hole (yes, use a measuring spoon), then plug the hole up with soil. If it's a pretty big lotus pond, and only lotus, do this dowl hole with Osmocote in a few places, with the holes about 12" apart.
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
Tinkster.... Your killin me  ;)

Now that I have a Lotus on the way (Thank you Tinkster) need to pick your brains on how to plant them so they will thrive!

Thanks El Elfe

… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
 @O@ @O@ @O@ @O@ El Jefe... you could pick mine bare and you would still be here begging for info on how to do it :)  Joyce and lawana both have great directions on here on how to plant.. I think lawanas even has pictures.. I follwed theres.  I just got mixed up on the fertilizing as this tub was smaller than what joyce was talking about but I just added the full amount anyway.  If you cant find the links, just let me know and I will search for them.  Just be very very very careful when you unpackage them that you dont break the growing tips.. one of them has 7 on it :) woohoo  you should have nice full tubs I hope.

Joyce Thanks much as usual.. I knew they had to be a way to do it without empty all that out.

tinkster

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
GAJEN.. you should go ahead and try.  I did 4 last year and followed their insturctions here.. well mostly and even super overfertilized two of the 4.. All 4 lived.. 2 of them had multiple blooms.  They are magnificant plants and super easy to do like they say.  Go head. .take the plunge :)

tinkster

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"