Author Topic: Retrofit bottom drain  (Read 1198 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Retrofit bottom drain
« on: March 21, 2007, 07:03:09 AM »
We are going to redo our skimmer/filter tub that holds the submersible pump this spring. The $7 32 gallon Rubbermaid tub had done a good job for three years now. I was given a fiberglass laundry tub last summer that will replace the Rubbermaid. It was given to me by the plumbing supply house where my Dh, the plumber, gets his supplies. I asked them if they had any that were damaged and if not would they consider dropping one for me. They did. Have one I mean. But it doesn't matter that it has a crack in the side because it sits inside the liner anyway.

I bought a retrofit bottom drain from AZ Ponds.   http://www.azponds.com/Bottom%20Drains.htm   It was cheapest there and no shipping fees.  It is 12" across the bottom and has little button feet to keep it raised off the bottom. It is double walled with hollow space between the walls to put sand or gravel in to weight it down. The hole in the center and the elbow fitting is 2". Has anyone here used one before and do you have any thoughts, tips, or comments about them?

I think I'm going to work on putting something around the edge that will keep the fish out and leaves. HMMM, have to think on that. Maybe at least a 12" round upside down plastic mesh basket.

Offline Daisy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Retrofit bottom drain
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 08:28:29 AM »
Oh my gosh Esther...hubby wants to do the same thing this spring only he was showing me the one from FosterSmith. I'm so glad you posted that link. The one from FosterSmith was $67.99 plus shipping!! AZponds is a much better price.  O0
Can't wait to show him.  ;D
I'd like to hear any feedback also. Especially if its worth the money or not?

By the way, your story was kinda funny as to how you got your tub  ;D

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 08:51:00 AM »
Daisy, look again------- http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=5340&Ntt=retrofit%20bottom%20drain&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=62728&Nty=1

I don't know what the shipping is but the same drain is $3 cheaper and on clearance. Found the shipping chart. 
 http://www.drsfostersmith.com/general.cfm?gid=315#3 But the shipping spoils the deal.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 10:26:09 AM by Esther »

Offline Daisy

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 09:28:33 AM »
Oh what the heck...I must of been looking at the wrong one. And on clearance too oh my  :o
Thanks for setting me straight Esther. Maybe I should get me some stronger reading glasses. {:-P;;

Offline croft

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 05:58:28 PM »
Esther, I have a retrofit bottom drain, although not the same as the one you have. I think mine came from Aqua art. The hole for the pipe comes out the side and will fit pipes from 2 to 4 inches. It doesn't have a space for sand which is too bad because we have to put a rock on it to weigh it down. I have found that the pond floor should slope gradually towards the bottom drain and if you have a waterfall you should have the drain at the opposite end of the pond so stuff tends to be pushed toward the drain. Also, since the feet aren't adjustable the bottom should be fairly level under the drain or you could have larger gaps than you want underneath. We made the mistake of having the piping come up and out through the side wall of the pond but then go back down again to get to the bottom of the mechanical filter. This not only slows the water down but can create an air "bubble" at the highest point which makes the passage smaller. I don't have anything covering the opening of the drain. You want the leaves and such to pass through to your mechanical filter and I find only the occasional fish will get through - the small ones. If they do they just swim around in the bottom of the filter where I net them out and put them back in the pond.
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 06:27:58 PM »
Evidently I am not doing this the way yours is intended. I will not be plumbing from the pump to the drain. I will be plumbing from the drain to the front of the skimmer/filter tub, just under the skimmer inlet in which the submersible pump sits. I'm hoping that there will be enough flow pulled or gravities through it to do some good. If not, I have learned something and will have to sell the drain to somebody who has the right setup. The flow will be pretty much going straight up and into the tub. And just in front of the tub is the lowest spot on the floor of the pond and opposite the waterfall. So I'm half way there.

Offline Rocmon

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 11:13:19 PM »
I'm not sure you will get a desired effect. I have a Tetra bottom drain. It is a 3" that I foolishly plumbed in 2" to the mid level input on my skimmer. (It's the biggest mistake of my pond build) I do get water draw and I'm very happy I put it in, but the amount of crud that freely chooses to go to the bottom drain is minimal. It works well as a in pond vacuum when I use a metal hose extension to flush debris into it with the pond full of water. So I'm glad to have it.

The issue with the retro BD is that you won't have the benefit of gravity as stuff has to rise to the outlet rather than fall into it. Secondly by plumbing it to your skimmer you loose the direct water draw through it because your skimmer weir has much less resistance to flow. You can't separate the draw to the BD when it's plumbed into the skimmer. I close my weir door by hand but the BD doesn't draw enough to feed my pump.

I would strongly suggest you plumb the BD to it's own filtration unit—55 gallon barrel or? The BD will provide a great deal more glop to your filter. If your skimmer has adequate filtration that is good, but you'll need to clean it very frequently. If plumbed separate this sets you up to later do an external pump. In this way you have some control of the draw. The pump could go in your settling unit for BD and plumb the skimmer into it if you only want a single pump set-up. This way you have full draw on the BD and can valve down the flow from the skimmer. Essentially a skimmer doesn't need settlement but doing it this way saves on an extra pump.

It would also be beneficial to use larger diameter pipe for your BD. The aqua art is one I've heard recommended before as it will accommodate bigger diameter pipe.

Gravity flow for 2" is 750 gph, 3" is 1500 gph, 4" 3000 gph—http://www.aquaart.com/pondFLC.html

I have six brushes and two layers of mats in my skimmer/BD filter. It loads up pretty quick this time of year.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 05:47:03 AM »
Well that blows that. My pond is in the front yard and surrounded by sidewalks, cement pad patio, house and landscaping. I'm not going to do any more digging out there. So I'll try my original idea and if it doesn't do any good then I'll take it out.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"