Author Topic: Alot of us will be potting and repotting.......What works for you?  (Read 3980 times)

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
For lilies I've used a variety of pots and the best results have always came from solid pots.
I use cheap dishpans for potting or something similar to the size. 
Last year I even used the shallow whiskey barrels for my Colorado and Barbara Dobbins and they bloomed like crazy.. lots of room!  BUT some can't do that because they need room for their other lilies!

I've used alot of different potting materials.   Clay out of my yard, Composted Manure, Kitty Litter, etc.. to date I've not noticed much of a difference.   Last year I used all kitty litter and they grew just as well as the others planted.

I believe either Marilyn C, Craig or Sean turned me onto Osmocote, so that's what I've been using for the past several years.  You can't go wrong!
 Osmocote 14-14-14 or Multicote (can't recall which but it's the highest double digit formula)

The only time I use fertilizer tabs are once, in the beginning of the season due to the fact that it takes awhile for time released to break down....

Curious what works best for you???????

Thanks for sharing,
Bonnie

GAJen

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Alot of us will be potting and repotting.......What works for you?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 02:06:53 PM »
Sand and Colorburst fertilizer mixed. As for pots we've used the pots with no holes small to medium size but the only problem was the lily's outgrew the pots. Gonna use something different this year.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 03:01:51 PM »
I use regular nursery pots with holes. Mainly because I lucked out and got a bunch from an old nursery that was sold and was going to be used for a residence. I use a mixture of topsoil, composted manure, and sand. Sometimes, I increase it with recycled soil. If it hadn't been for the China marks moth, they would have probably bloomed last year but the pests are no more. I use a liquid form of BT used for catapillars. Cleared them right out. I found out that Kit uses the same stuff on her water lilies.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 05:25:45 PM »
Bonnie, doesn't  the kitty litter get hard?  I have always used the lily tabs, I try to remember.  Using the osmacorte would be easier, how much do you use in a pot.  I have usualy planted lilies in like the hanging basket type pots.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 06:12:17 PM »
Hi Marla,
I used the cheap unscented Walmart brand and it doesn't get hard.  Some people have said this so it must be a difference in brand.

No matter what potting media I use, I always cover with rocks and gently hose off and let sit awhile before I place in the pond.   With kitty litter I use more water because it's alittle dusty.....

Truthfully.. I never measure Osmocote  {nono} but I would think for a dishpan you might use 1/4 cup?   
(someone that measures, will you chime in please?)

I always put it in the bottom of the container first..  I don't want it turning my water green.

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 07:39:01 PM »
Joyce convinced me to try the Osmocote this year. I love the idea of not having to lay over the edge of my pond and plunge up to my armpits to insert the lilytabs every few weeks! (My pond is too deep!)
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 07:42:32 PM »
I use hanging basket's & dish pan's it depends on the size & kind of w.lily. I like the compost cow manure with a little Osmocote.
 The lilies seem to love it !
bonnie

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 08:57:06 PM »
wow.. great thread.  I use the jobes tomatoe stakes once a month in mine and they bloom very prolifically but love the idea of the oscomite.  I to hate the chore of feeding.  But I have to get in to trim the leaves off anyway.  Anybody come up with a way around that chore )

I also like the square solid dish pans from the dollar tree.  They are black which is great and really sturdy for 1.00 a piece.  Have seen alot of people use the disposable oil pans also.  thought I might try them as they are a bit bigger.

tinkster

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 04:04:06 AM »
I use about anything as pots.  From oil pans, dish pans, hanging basket pots to gallon ice cream containers.  Those are pretty nice since they have a handle on them.  If one cracks, I just sit it down into another. 

I've used osmocote and last year I used the jobes tomato spikes.  I had lots of blooms last year. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 06:21:18 AM »
I mostly use dish pans...but, honestly I have bowls, pots, whip cream and butter bowls, and even the cartons that family size meats come in out there too....basically if It can hold a lily it gets used  ;).....pots with holes in them I cover the holes with either paper or plastic.
I use osmocote but, thinking about switching over to multicote since I can get a larger bag of it locally than I can the osmocote and it is a bit cheaper...when you have as many plants as I do...the costs add up fast...
good ol' clay soil to plant in....about the only things I have found that just do much better in soil are lilies and lotus...all marginals if I  do pot up are in pebbles or catlitter...most of my marginals are barerroot though...once they form a big enough clump...I remove them from the pot and just toss them into the pond and keep them in place with a flagstone...the fish love to find the goodies that like to hide in the roots...they will also keep the roots pruned back....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 07:23:23 AM »
Tink, go to Johns site.. he has a DIY tool which you might find useful for trimming the pads!

Kim, are you saying that experienced more blooms using the tomato spikes vs. osmocote?

While we're sharing methods.... what about labeling?
I started using a paint pen which I now label the inside bottom and outside bottom of my pots. 
I use plastic knives to stick in the soil for a quick peek.  Had loads of spoons the year before last so I used those......
Someone from the old forum suggested cutting up mini blinds so I've used them before too......
 Hey whatever works.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 08:13:07 AM »
Bonnie I use the mini blinds...but, someone mentioned the aluminum labels and that way the indention can't wash away.....I thought that was a neat idea....I bet cut up disposable pie pans would work great for that...just would have to bend the edges down so no one gets cuts...and attach it to the side of the pot
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 04:37:43 AM »
This is great info peopel, keep it comming, I'm really enjoying it since I'm so new. Crap and I went out and bought a ton of fancey waterplant baskets. Well I guess they will be ok for plants other than my lillies. But I have done like Lawanna, I just use small gravel for most plants. But I did go get some black spray paint to cover the blue Hosp. issue tubs to put my lillies in.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 08:45:32 AM »
Debbie, I use the baskets with pea gravel for my marginal plants. Have for many years. I feel they get nutrients from the water that way and I almost never fertilize them and I don't have an algae problem.

They just don't work well for lilies.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 08:53:24 AM »
Last year I bought a bunch of that small gravel that you put in Aquariums, I got the brown, and it's way cheeper to buy than the plant media stuff. Then pea gravel on that then a few bigger rocks to keep my piggies out of it. Speeking of piggies, The water was 50* on the bottom yesterday when I got home so I broke down and gave them a few Cheerieo's Bad mommy I know, it is still to soon but they just wouldn't stop comming up to me with those big brown eyes! o(:-)
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline slackjeep

• Members
  • With us since: 17/01/2007
    • View Profile
    • Photogallery
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 10:29:31 AM »
This is my first 'repotting' season. 

I repotted 3 of my larger lilies into 7 qt oil pans.  I put 2 tablespoons (yes I measure Lawanna  ;D) of Vigoro pellets (same as Osmocote I think, it last 4 months instead of 3).  I re-used the mucky, stinky aquatic soil that they were already in, covered the soil with pea gravel and larger pea gravel.  Man are those pots heavy!

I bought a bunch of marginals and planted them in baskets bare root with pea gravel.  No fertilizer. 

I guess I"ll see how all this works for me.   8)

For for tags, I used those aluminum tags that you write on and it puts an imprint of the name.  I cut the corners to round them and then attached with zip ties on the oil pans which have a small hole already. 
Dorys

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 05:02:32 PM »
Ok now tell me you can resist this?
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 06:17:24 PM »
I repotted on Sat. in my old black nursery pots. I went out to the farm and got some good black dirt, put some osmocote in the bottom and away we go. I have to say that with the small pond that I have and the amount of divisions left over, why anyone would have to buy a hardies is beyond me. I lost two to rot and have given several to a friend, but still have a colorado and a couple unamed pink (that is amazing) that I'd be glad to send to someone. I go to the village gravel pile and fill a 5 gal pail and that's what goes on top.
I go with the KISS theory.
I even repotted a couple tropicals. (frozen solid) good luck on that one O0

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

GAJen

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 06:18:59 PM »
Did some repotting today and hope to finish tomorrow. Used the same sand and slow release fertilizer trick.

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 07:39:07 PM »
Debbie, What sweet babies! I couldn't resist those faces  o(:-)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2007, 11:40:08 PM »
Debbie: What a bunch of beggars you have! ;D
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline slackjeep

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Photogallery
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2007, 11:06:52 AM »

barbershop quartet???   lol

great shot !
Dorys

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2007, 12:20:33 PM »
I've repotted about half of my hardies that need it so far.
I use the oil drain pans. I use a particular bagged top soil they sell at our Home Depot that is clay soil and sand. I mix a little bit more sand with it and I top with pea gravel. I've always used the Jobes tomato spikes but I'm giving the Osmocote a try this year.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline slackjeep

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Photogallery
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2007, 03:32:57 PM »
Shanna-what is the name of the topsoil you get at HD? 
Dorys

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2007, 12:22:47 PM »
I don't remember right off hand but I'll look tonight and tell you tomorrow. :)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Rocmon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2007, 06:28:13 PM »
Wave your hand like your saying good-by and say Shoo! Several times... lol

I've repotted all my potted lilies. I use the aquatic pots with weed cloth liner inside the bottom and up the sides. I put a few handfuls of recycled aquatic soil in the bottom. Dump in a bunch of two year old horse manure—from last years veggie garden, mix in some sprinklings of Osmocote throw in a few handfuls of grey sand, mix it up some then put in the lily with any growth parts up above the soil. Top it off with a layer of recycled aquatic soil, a few rocks, rinse with the hose and put in the pond. I have several large lily tubers from a friends pond that I just put a large rock on the hold down roots and put on the bottom. I used some nylon string across the pots this year for lifting and moving them. I have a stick with a thick coat hanger wire in a tight loop for lifting them. The wire I've used on the pots in the past rust away.

I can't say it works... My first year I used only aquatic soil with the expensive plant spikes—they grew very well. Next year I tried using some coconut hair on the bottom with aquatic soils and cat litter with chunks of tree spikes—didn't grow too well or bloom nearly as well. The coconut hair stuff collapsed after a little while, so the pots were only half full of soil. So this years attempt is yet another variation...

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2007, 10:33:46 PM »
Oh Rockmon, how could I possably shoo thoes cute little faces?
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2007, 10:44:30 PM »
Osmocoat as per Joyce's info.  I use the black oil pans that johns clued me on, they are ideal, cheap and strong.
We had a blind restrung, thank god i didn't try it myself, it really took a pro, I digress, I asked if I could come by the shop for mini blinds that were being junked, he said, nah, i have truck full outside!.  They do make good as well as cheap plant tags. O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Rocmon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2007, 05:13:51 PM »
Oh Happyout, they are trying to guilt you with those eyes... don't look, pretend you've just noticed a new flower bud on your lily. Then point high in a neighbors tree and say heron! Quick, swim!... Go! Hurry! ........I'm sure they won't listen....

I can see that look in their eyes—they have you wrapped around their little pectorals.    :tease:

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2007, 09:21:25 PM »
 lol Oh Roc, your too funny. And your right! they wont mind me, and I am wrapped alright. lol
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"