Author Topic: How to add skimmer to existing pond  (Read 1824 times)

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
How to add skimmer to existing pond
« on: March 22, 2007, 10:40:24 PM »
We want to add a skimmer to our pond this spring. I checked the tutorials but there isn't anything there about this subject. Anyone have tips on how and what to do? We will be redoing some of our pond and stream this spring and decided this would be the best time to do this.
Thanks,
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Rocmon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: How to add skimmer to existing pond
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 10:53:28 PM »
First you have to decide what kind of skimmer you want. A pool like skimmer with minimal filtration or a Savio type skimmer filter that can be modified to do a large amount of mechanical filtration. Do you want an external pump to draw water from skimmer to next filtration device or a submersible in the skimmer it's self—not as good a way to go IMHO. I suspect you could almost install the skimmer without draining the pond. A Savio has an extended throat so the big excavation isn't right up against the liner. A pool like skimmer would also be relatively easy, if it has a two part faceplate that sandwiches the liner—don't have to cut the hole for weir until the faceplate is already screwed in place.

Do a search at koiphen about skimmers and installations. There are many pond redo's and new builds and lots of pictures and tips. You have to join to see the pics... Try a search of "Kent Wallace" and "skimmers" together.    O0

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 11:48:47 AM »
I guess we're looking for advice pertaining to different ways to go as well as how to add it.
Any help would sure be appreciated. Post ideas guys!! :)
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 01:00:48 PM »
Cath, can you post a pix of your pond and current plumbing and pump set up?

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 01:13:18 PM »
I'll have to get some pics of the plumbing. On second thought....maybe I don't want to post those. :redface: YIKES!!!!! Hubby and I pretty much 'did our own thing' when it came to plumbing, etc. We hadn't discovered the forum at that time and were unable to find any decent info, even at our public library. Now there are pond societies, books galore, etc.....none of which we could find at the time.
Cath
zone 5b

GAJen

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 01:14:46 PM »
Cath....Jim put one in ours so when he logs on I'll send him your way.

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 01:17:12 PM »
Thanks Jen.
zone 5b

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 02:47:00 PM »
Hey Cath do you think you are the only one out there who has DIY plumbing?? LOL. WRONG!!
Here's my current (soon to be redone with a fiberglass laundry tub) that uses a submersible pump and sits inside the liner. 

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 02:49:53 PM »
I am planning to switch to the "No Niche" skimmer,  Readily available and free standing.  You can see it at gene's site, koi village, or AZ Ponds  Inexpensive too! o(:-)
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Shep

• Members
  • With us since: 29/12/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 04:11:46 PM »
Since our pond is on the smaller size we took the easy way out and used Pond Master's Mini Pond Skimmer   http://www.azponds.com/skimmers.htm#pmskimmer The mini pond skimmer is for ponds up to 2000 gallons and operateswith a flow rate of between 700 and 1800 G.P.H

It operates inside the pond thus not a major undertaking. Instead of attaching the submersible pump directly to the skimmer we ran pvc from the skimmer on the side of the pond to the pump in the middle of the pond which also serve as a fountain....... The Mini Pond Skimmer on sale was $79.95 plus another $10 for pvc and fittings. We already had the Pond Master 9.5 pump which we got at a good price from Gene at Koi Village.

The skimmer has been operating for almost 3 months and I can tell a huge difference in water clarity....... all we need now is a feeder ring so the skimmer will stop eating most of the food.  :D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 04:18:48 PM by Shep »

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 05:02:48 PM »
Thanks Shep and everyone else.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 05:25:45 PM »
Shep, make one out of a hula hoop. I pulled out the staple that held it together, removed the piece of doweling that was between the two pieces and the staple was in, cut the hoop down with a hacksaw, put the dowel back in place, reinstalled the staple and then sealed the crack with caulk of some sort, maybe JB Weld.   :) I attached a short string to it and hooked that so it can't float away. It doesn't always hold all the food because my pigs splash it out but it's better than nothing. Otherwise, shutting off the pump before you feed them will stop that problem totally. 

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 05:29:22 PM »
Esther,
  Is your mind always thinking of a new 'invention'? You amaze me!!
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Shae

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 06:21:55 PM »
Cath, don't be shy about posting pics. Heck, we still haven't finished adding the rock around our waterfalls and skippy and the ponds been in almost 2 years now. Esther is brilliant when it comes to DIY. It just goes to show you don't have to spend a lot of money to get the results you need. I use a hoola hoop too sometimes to feed my fish, but they end up splashing all around and the food escapes like Esther said. Most of the time, I just turn off the pump. My fish trained themselves to come to exactly where the skimmer is when it's dinner time because that's where I started feeding them. I can sit on my swing and toss the food right into the pond. They know when it's dinnertime too. They start congregating right at the skimmer around 5:00 every day.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 06:58:44 PM »
I cut the hula hoop down because it was too big for where I wanted to put it.
I thought my fish came when I went on the porch because they could feel the front door bang. I don't think mine tell time like yours Shae.

You should have seen the huge heart I made out of a hula hoop about 15 years ago for my son's wedding. I took it apart and spray painted it white. I made a point by bending the two halves across each other until it crimped at the bottom. Then I grabbed the two open ends and bent them down toward the point while DH heated the curves with his blow torch. I had made a very long white lace ruffle with a deep hem. I slid the ruffle on the hoop and put the two cut edged together and cut them on an angle. We had bent a piece of metal in a V and then shoved it up in the cut edges. DH heated it until it started to melt and the metal sunk into the plastic enough to hold the shape. I think I covered that metal and the cut edges with JB Weld to smooth it.  When it cooled off, I rearranged the ruffle evenly all around it. We hung it at the front of the church with some silk flowers on it for color.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 07:06:40 PM by Esther »

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2007, 05:48:52 AM »
I've done the same with the hula hoop, and also left larger I use them to keep my floating plants in place, and together.  This way even if floating in the pond, they won't get sucked into the skimmer.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"