Author Topic: What new plants are you getting/wanting this year?  (Read 2045 times)

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
What new plants are you getting/wanting this year?
« on: March 24, 2007, 08:09:02 AM »
So far I've got or got coming:

Lotus:
Alba Plena
1000 Petals -qianbanlian
Peaches and Rain

Hardy Waterlilies:
Wow
Perry's Pink Heaven
Perry's Red Glow
Crimson Red

Tropicals:
Dayglow
Ostara
Pink Flamingo
Foxfire
Midnight Embers
Star of Siam
Emily Grant Hutchings

What are you getting or looking for?

Offline Chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What new plants are you getting/wanting this year?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 10:38:26 AM »
Well for starts I would like a dwarf papyrus, and some more water snowflake. As for liliys I need to replace my Texas Dawn. I also would like to have another Black Prince, then a Tina. Thats all I can think of right now, but I'm sure the list will get longer :).
Chris

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 04:47:05 PM »
Well so far I have gotten a Momo Botan from Lawanna. And a big Lotus from John but now Idea the name or color.
I have gotten 2 chamelions, a worm wood and some ribbon grass from Kay.
And I have a bunch more to come from Lawanna.  I would love to get a Baby Doll, and a blue Tropical lillie. That would top off my year with a bang. I went most of last year with out enough plants do to cost mostly. Thank You Thank You Thank You! everyone! Gotta love this place and all you wonderful people.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 08:09:34 PM »
I have been wanting bamboo for several years...I finally found a couple folks who had some to trade @O@ @O@....I got 11 different types growing from 2' - 65'....I have no clue what I will do with 65' tall bamboo though  :o :o.....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Rocmon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 08:26:19 PM »
I'll be trying some Arc-en-ciel again and an almost black. Wish I had the acreage to grow more. Also added some white birch and magnolia stellatta—(centennial) to the mix, but they're only rooted cuttings so it'll be a while before they get to much size. I think that's all the "new" stuff but the season is early...

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 09:46:52 PM »
Finally decided how to do the "garden formerly known as vegetable" into a really cool tropicalesque bed. Got Musa sikkimensis banana coming, found a Canna stuttgart (HOORAY!), ordered a dwarf elephant ear with silver foliage, a thunbergia grandiflora, some annual hibiscus seeds, and some other tropical stuff. Just bought a VARIEGATED red twig dogwood to go in the middle so I have something colorful to look at in the winter. And a dwarf forsythia for early spring color. Will fill in with tropicals I already have - hibiscus, upright elephant ears, cannas, allamanda, I'm sure there are others lurking in the house somewhere!!

As for new pond plants, just a new tropical lily or two - no more room. And I really want a nondwarf papyrus or umbrella palm - it will probably go in a pot sunk in the tropical bed cuz the ponds are FULL!
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 12:58:12 AM »
I got a Lotus tuber from John, and a colorado from John.  That's about it for the ponds this year.  I'm going to start landscaping around the pond with other things other than elephant ear, banana's, and canana's.  I love the jungle look, just don't like the looks of it in the off season when everything is dug up.  So that's my plant list, not for the pond around the pond.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 05:32:31 AM »
Finally decided how to do the "garden formerly known as vegetable" into a really cool tropicalesque bed. Got Musa sikkimensis banana coming, found a Canna stuttgart (HOORAY!), ordered a dwarf elephant ear with silver foliage, a thunbergia grandiflora, some annual hibiscus seeds, and some other tropical stuff. Just bought a VARIEGATED red twig dogwood to go in the middle so I have something colorful to look at in the winter. And a dwarf forsythia for early spring color. Will fill in with tropicals I already have - hibiscus, upright elephant ears, cannas, allamanda, I'm sure there are others lurking in the house somewhere!!

As for new pond plants, just a new tropical lily or two - no more room. And I really want a nondwarf papyrus or umbrella palm - it will probably go in a pot sunk in the tropical bed cuz the ponds are FULL!
Sheila....You do know you can grow umbrella plants out of the pond....I have grown them in amongst my banana trees for a couple years...also have 2 that sprouted up in the gh...that just grow like mad....I bet the Egyptian papyrus would to...I'll have to try some this year....those would really make your tropical garden look great....
Lawanna

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 05:34:25 AM »
I wanted to try some lotus this year since I didn't kill the ones I tried last.<g>  These have killer names to pronounce but caught my eye.  The one single flower ( Shomaihi) is a miniture changeable, the rest are suppose to be medium and large types.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 06:26:07 AM »
they are gorgeous Craig....but, wow those names would be a doozy to pronounce and to remember...
Lawanna

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 06:32:34 AM »
I left out the one with the worst name...a double medium white.<g>
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline SheilaJ

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 11:35:35 AM »
Lawanna, I have seen papyrus/umbrella palms growing in the ground in swampy areas. I'm wondering just how much lack of rain they could take. One end of the garden is semi-improved red clay, but the water puddles in there for days after a rain, so I'm going for boggy plants there (the elephant ears, swamp hibiscus, red-twig dogwood, etc). But if we get a really dry spell, I'm wondering if I could keep it wet enough during the hot summer without it being submerged in a pot of water.

How much drought can these things take?

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 01:11:46 PM »
Sheila umbrella is tuff....I water mine when I water the banana plants which is usually every 3 or so days...and we have hot summers here and my soil is clay...they do fine....
Lawanna

Offline SheilaJ

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 01:18:43 PM »
Cool! Thanks for the advice - I shall try it! One less pondlet to deal with...

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 03:33:29 PM »
Wow Those are beautiful, but I'll have to stick with the white Lotus, the dark pink Lotus and so on. lol
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2007, 07:30:48 PM »
I hope to get Perry's white 1000 petals ( water lily) & Catus Jack .
I'm getting a Rose Arey , Perry's Pink Heaven ,Louise Villamarette w.lilies.
Lotus I received Mrs. Perry Slocum & Rosea Plena ( I think... o( )  from Lawanna.
bonnie

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2007, 10:04:51 PM »
Looking to purchase some Varigated Iris

and some Dwarf Japanese Sungold Cypress of a decent size

Maybe some Hakonechloa Aureola

and maybe a round trip ticket for joyce to get it planted out right... (If only.... My daughters wedding coming up in May has me pretty much tapped out) Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline SheilaJ

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 04:22:37 AM »
Andy, excellent choices! I have the iris and the Aureola and they are great plants. I've been wanting the cypress but haven't figured out where to put one yet.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 07:42:22 AM »
Oh ya Andy, I love the varigated. I'm hopeing to get some soon. I have several of the golden cypress, Life in general has me tapped out. lol
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 08:41:24 AM »
I would like a very dwarf lotus for the greenhouse pond but mostly I am wanting the construction projects (greenhouse, bubble column rocks) finished rather than more aquatic plants. I will want to replace the two assumed dead tropical waterlilies with two that are deep colored and do well in small pots and small ponds but it is much too early here even in the greenhouse.

I have planted a ton of new daffodils, that I found potted at local nurseries cheap but that is another section of the forum.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"