Author Topic: Brushes for the skimmer  (Read 1858 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Brushes for the skimmer
« on: March 26, 2007, 06:03:24 AM »
OK you guys talked about using brushes in my new skimmer/filter so I went looking online. I found them for $3.50 or so each but with a $10 shipping charge and I'll only need three. Then I found the ones already suspended from a crossbar, $29.95 with $8 shipping. Has anybody tried to make their own? Are the bristles rather soft or stiff like a bottle brush? Of course you can see where I'm going with this. Why couldn't I make my own setup? Maybe I'll head to the dollar store after I go to the pond store.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Brushes for the skimmer
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 08:26:43 AM »
Boy ya got me on that one I have never used them :thinking:But I have faith in you, you'll come up with something. ;)
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Esther

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 03:49:24 PM »
I was at a pond store this afternoon and she had a set of brushes so at least I know what they are like. The bristles are softer than a bottle brush but longer and closer together. She said that set was a mistake on an order and she would give me a 20% off discount if I wanted them. But even with the discount, they would be $50. Luckily they were 18" ones instead of 12" ones and I was able to tell her they were the wrong size. So at least now I know how they are suspended and what they look like. So instead I spent $50 on other stuff.

Offline Shae

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 10:36:18 PM »
Esther, when I first put my pond in, the skimmer came with a set of brushes and a crossbar. The brushes were very stiff but the metal used along the shaft started to rust within a couple of months. That's when I ordered the Black Knight brushes from AZ ponds. Much more flexible, I can bend shape them, the bristles are much softer and they still haven't rusted. They will stand up on their own without a cross bar if you pack them closely together. I see where you can order either the 12" or 24". Have you thought about getting the longer ones and then cutting them to the size you need. You could get 2 12" brushes out of 1 24" and save some money. Even with shipping tho, I don't think you'll find them at a better price.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 05:15:28 AM »
I agree Shae with AZ having the best price. So will order them. I don't think I want to cut them down though.

Yup, I ordered 4 of them. AZ's has the best prices in town. And they don't have shipping on a lot of things.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 04:17:33 PM by Esther »

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 12:17:40 PM »
Tada!! O0 The brushes came today and I discovered that I happened to have some pieces of gray 3/4 " conduit pipe in the basement with an OD of 1" and it fit the circle on the top of the brushes perfectly. They are tight but still slide when forced. The discription in the catalogue said they were 12" but they have a length on the top of them with the circle above the 12" so had to tweak the holder bar a bit with a couple of 90s and a couple of short pieces with notches cut in them. They rest on top of the filter/skimmer tub nicely. I wish I would have ordered two more brushes though.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 04:23:30 PM »
Bravo, :clap: I new you would come up with something good.So what was your total cost?
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Krodity

• Members
  • With us since: 21/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 04:27:24 PM »
  O0   Looks wonderful and I'm sure will function very well for you.  O0

Offline Rocmon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 05:12:31 PM »
I had gotten my black knight brushes from kevin at http://www.aquaticpondsupplies.com/brushes.htm he's a bit more on brush price compared to AZ, I didn't check shipping just now. I think I got a good price through koiphen when I bought mine, not sure—I know the brushes are cheaper than mat.

It does look like you need two more as the water will go around the sides. If you had some extra mat or plastic, like a half gallon size plastic milk/orange juice carton—something to block the sides so the water the goes through those brushes you'll be a lot more happy with what they accumulate. It took me several tries to figure out how to get them to work best in my skimmer. Looks like you may just have to go for a couple more.

Another idea would be to form a partial circle with them around the weir opening if there is enough brush to do that space. Put a 45 in the center bar instead of that straight. Lay them sideways?

That's some nice clear water you have running through there...

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 06:39:31 PM »
Um let's see. I have $26.12 into them I guess. All the hanging bar stuff was in the basement. At the pond store the other day the owner offered me a set that was originally $62 and she would discount it to $50. Of course it had the hanger bar already.

The 45 idea probably wouldn't work because the front of the tub is just under one of the support 2 x 4s that is under the boardwalk. Well maybe I could figure out something. Depends on the clearance in there. But I get your idea. I don't know if you can see it or not but there is a very dirty piece of filter media just behind the brushes and in front of the frame that is in front of the pump. So not much gets pulled through the pump.

Thanks for the clear water comment. My pump has only been on maybe 2-3 weeks and the water was pretty green to start with. But I was not going to sit around and let nature take it's course.  {nono} So I put a layer of matala and filter media (like QB kind of) in the filter tub and then I put a layer of filter media in two curved mesh baskets and put them in the drops of the waterfall. I was cleaning them 2-3 times a day. I could see bottom within two days.

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 08:12:51 PM »
You can't beat the Black Knight Brushes! O0

Kevin (Allied) has a special on them now...
The 15" x4" are only $3 each.. good deal.

You'll need to mention the special to him because I think it's a forum special.

http://koishack.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9328

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 09:44:22 PM »
Another innovation by Esther.  Job well done  :clap: :clap: :clap:

What an amazing woman. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Shae

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 10:41:22 PM »
Looking good Esther! You are one amazing woman when it comes to pvc! :)

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 10:31:14 AM »
Thanks Bonnie. I registered over there and will email him. Of course I only need two.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 05:49:09 AM »
Wonder how many I should get for the savio skimmer. I emailed him too, but haven't heard from him as yet.
Kathy

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 06:52:58 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Bonnie. I bought 10 and intend to use 5 in my savio skimmer. I figure at that price it doesn't hurt to have extras :)

Offline Rocmon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 10:21:08 AM »
A standard Savio works great with six brushes, unless your running UV. Across the back is not very effective IMHO.

This is a previous version. I now have mat in the mat holder in addition to the big wrap around piece in picture I've also updated a hold down for the inside of the skimmer. I'll dig up a link...

OK here's a link with current picture and details...

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47378&highlight=savio+modification

« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 10:28:43 AM by Rocmon »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"