Author Topic: My ponding days are coming to an end  (Read 3086 times)

GAJen

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: My ponding days are coming to an end
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2007, 05:12:38 PM »
Shae the helicopters were flying over frequently with dumping buckets for days last week. I hope we get some rain soon....I hate to see all of the wildlife and swamp in danger. We've had record temps the past few days.

Offline rcr203

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2007, 11:27:28 AM »
Remember what snakes eat;  black snakes, king snakes (typically black in color), rat snakes (like the one in the water picture a couple replies above) take care of rodents for you.  Garter snakes may get a rodent or two, but help out in the bug department a lot, too.  They may get a frog or toad or two, but...

I'd rather have snakes about than mice and rats.  They're not aggressive (except when shedding sometimes) and I can't imagine any reason to kill them.

Now, a copperhead.. I might change my tune a bit.

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2007, 03:53:49 PM »
Debbie, you need to come live here!  No snakes in Hawaii!  We do have 12" centipedes tho... don't see them very often.  I was in Texas one time when a snake chased me and a freind.  Yes it did chase me!  I was not ammused. Nope, don't do snakes!  I'm proud of you for not passing out when you killed the Rattlesnake... I'm sure I would have been able to fly!
Tammie
P.S. - worms freak me out... don't have a problem with spiders tho.

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2007, 09:24:59 PM »
Well, I'm a spider hater. When I was 12 an uncle nearly died from a black widow spider bite. The dr. said if he had arrived at the ER 5 minutes later he wouldn't have lived. That freaked me out so bad that I've hated spiders ever since. I don't remember exactly what the circumstances were of where or what he was doing but do remember that it was considered a safe thing. No one expected black widows to be there. It was so serious that rather than wait for the insurance info to be processed at the ER desk my dad signed an agreement to pay his bill so the hospital would start treatment sooner. Scary!!!
Cath
zone 5b

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2007, 09:31:41 PM »
rcr, so killing a copper head is ok but not a rattler???Hmmmmm?
Thanks Tammie for the suport, I was startting to feel hated. :'( because I'm afraid of something. Me the brave woman hunter who shoots and dresses her own game. Bait my own hooks and clean All the fish afraid of a snake, you bet I am.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

GAJen

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2007, 04:51:50 PM »
Well happyoutsidegirl I feel hated over a couple of posts I've made lately. As for the snake nobody killed it. It crawled up into the neighbors yard. We thought he caught it but he caught the one he had in his kitchen last Sunday and gave it to his son alive.

Offline chopsui

• Members
  • With us since: 20/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2007, 05:25:59 PM »
As someone who keeps almost 50 snakes and lizards, some of which are venomous, I am not for killing them.
I have come to accept that I put a pond in the yard and the creepy things are gonna show up. SPIDERS! I used to kill them on site. Not anymore or I should say not as much.
I'd like to see snakes around. If your fish are large enough what do you have to worry about?
Frogs are supposed to be bad right? Snakes eat frogs. Don't kill frogs, let the snakes do it.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"