Author Topic: Cell Phone Ring Tones  (Read 2440 times)

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Cell Phone Ring Tones
« on: August 21, 2006, 06:32:58 PM »
DD#1 just got her first real cell phone, and it's a pretty cool one.  (Much cooler than mine, but I can't complain cuz DH wanted to get a blackberry and I said that was much too complicated.  I told him I just wanted it to ring and me to be able to answer it easily - no complications.  That's what he got me.)

Now she wants to get ring tones that suit her mood and personality.  If I get them thru the provider it's $3.70 plus tax per ring tone.  The guy at the cart in the mall that sells accessories told me that I don't have to do that.  He said if I get a data cable and download free software I can also download free ring tones and upload them to the phone free.  I can also use the data cable to offload her pics (camera phone!) to her computer instead of paying per kb to email them every time.

Can some tech savvy person out there tell me in english how the heck to do this?

Offline Shawn

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Ring Tones
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 06:36:47 PM »
What kind of phone do you have?  That will be the deciding factor...
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.
~ Mark Twain

Russell, Kentucky  Zone 5

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 07:03:21 PM »
LG CG225

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 05:36:22 AM »
Teresa, I have a brand new LG too and don't have a clue how to use it, except to make calls.
Jamies knows just about everything about it, including taking pix, saving them, sending them to my email address,
making them my cell phone photo, etc, etc.
And she knows how to change the ring tones. Not me. :P

So I can't wait to know how you do,
cuz I'd like to change it to one of my favorite Zeppelin tunes. 8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 08:03:27 AM »
It's not hard to get ring tones if you have the Media Net service on your phone (at least not with our provider) - which you do if she can email photos to your computer.  What service do you have?  We use Cingular and to get tones, you just go to the cingular.com website and download them.  It costs $2.50 per tone plus about $1.20 for the time to download them (unless you have a certain amount of prepaid download time - depends on your plan).

Our issue is that we don't really want Media Net on the phones.  Don't want to get or send emails and don't want access to the internet - read shopping - on the phones (don't want the teenager to have it either).  So what I want to do is get a data cable and use it to transfer pics and tones.  I know I need software and I need to know where to get the tones.

Offline JohnInFlorida

• Members
  • Middleburg, FL ~ Zn 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 10:33:56 AM »
Teresa,

The particular phone you have is brand new and thus many of the products don't list it specifically. This TYPE of product seems to be what you're looking for. The tones you build yourself (clip, trim, etc.) from .wav/.mp3/midi files on your computer with the included software. All the other programs/cables I looked at were 2 or 3 times more expensive than this one, I think it's only a matter of confirming that the connector on your phone is the same as the connector on the phones listed as compatible. Sorry I couldn't be more specific, but if this is not the right cable/software, at least it will point you in the right direction.

Keep Smilin'
John  :)
"Life is hard;
It's harder if you're stupid."
                                    John Wayne

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 11:40:46 AM »
YES!!!  That's just what I needed to know.  (Um the link is missing tho).  Thanks John!!!  Do ALL the cables come with the software?  Cuz the guy at the store was saying I needed to google it and download it from somewhere.

Offline Shawn

• Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 01:18:48 PM »
The program that I used with my old LG phone was called Data Pilot.  It allows you to trim MP3's if compatible or upload MIDI songs/wallpapers, etc.  Software can be foundhttp://www.susteen.com/. You'll probably wanna call them for that particular model...  Apparently, a good review of the phone can be found here: http://www.mobiledia.com/reviews/lg/cg225/page1.html
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.
~ Mark Twain

Russell, Kentucky  Zone 5

Offline JohnInFlorida

• Members
  • Middleburg, FL ~ Zn 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 01:34:07 PM »
sorry bout that ...

http://www.susteen.com/productdetail/27/producthl/Notempty

Keep Smilin"
John  :)
"Life is hard;
It's harder if you're stupid."
                                    John Wayne

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 02:59:58 PM »
Wow!  John that looks like the perfect product, and since she has been composing music for several years now, perhaps she'd like to put one of her own songs on as her ring tone!  (I'd love her to put one on my phone!!!)  Said it has 6 different cable connections, so maybe one will fit?  I'll call in the morning and ask them to make sure one fits the cg225.

Thanks Shawn . . . . it seems like a really nice phone.  It has lots of features, but it's not difficult or confusing to use (even for me!!!).  It also seems sturdier than a lot of those tiny little phones.  Anyway, she's very happy with it, and thrilled that her father thought she was grown up enough to need one.  (Actually it was her mother who insisted he get her one because I need her to have one!!!!  But we'll let Dad get the brownie points on this one . . . . .)

Joyce - go here to get ringtones:

http://www-xl.cingularextras.com/fuel/enduser/portal/endUserHTMLHome?makeName=lg&dc=45261&modelId=45261&imageField2.x=33&imageField2.y=5

It will know who you are when you enter your phone number and all the charges will go on your account.  But the only two zeppelin songs they have are Kashmir and Stairway to Heaven.

Offline kennef

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 07:12:02 AM »
DD#1 just got her first real cell phone, and it's a pretty cool one.  (Much cooler than mine, but I can't complain cuz DH wanted to get a blackberry and I said that was much too complicated.  I told him I just wanted it to ring and me to be able to answer it easily - no complications.  That's what he got me.)

Now she wants to get ring tones that suit her mood and personality.  If I get them thru the provider it's $3.70 plus tax per ring tone.  The guy at the cart in the mall that sells accessories told me that I don't have to do that.  He said if I get a data cable and download free software I can also download free ring tones and upload them to the phone free.  I can also use the data cable to offload her pics (camera phone!) to her computer instead of paying per kb to email them every time.

Can some tech savvy person out there tell me in english how the heck to do this?

Depending on your provider, some or all of your capability to upload ringtones to your phone may be disabled to force you to buy your rintones from them.  At least this is what my provider does (Verizon).  I had to hack my cell phone to enable ring tones that i uploaded, and it was not generally a 2 minute deal. I got almost all my information from www.cellphonehacks.com . Of course not every provide locks down their cell phones, but thats one thing you want to be sure of...

Kenn

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"