Author Topic: goldfish change color?  (Read 1925 times)

Offline Monica

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
goldfish change color?
« on: March 29, 2007, 05:25:03 AM »
I know that goldfish can change color but why has my older fish, o( probably 5 years old, gotten black spots on him now?  There isn't anything on him he has changed color.  What could cause it?

The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: goldfish change color?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 06:26:45 AM »
Could be a lot of things but since it's early in the season maybe your ammonia is high in the pond? Have you tested your water? Done a partial water change? It's just a guess.
http://www.koivet.com/html/articles/articles_details.php?article_id=106&category=17&name=Diseases

Offline Monica

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 05:44:26 PM »
I haven't tested the water but I have added water and I cleaned out the skippy and skimmer on Sunday
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline Rocmon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 06:35:00 PM »
Ah you cleaned the filter and some soot got stuck on it... ;D

My rosy reds get dark patches, blotches, when it comes time for breeding. I have one GF that was pretty small not real dark black but smoke color, it has been getting lighter as it's getting bigger.

Here are two rosy reds—they were the same color originally.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 06:59:49 PM by Rocmon »

Offline Monica

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 05:30:25 AM »
When I cleaned the filters none if the water from them went into the pond and it has been a week and he still looks the same i think he has gotten more spots.

Offline Rocmon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 10:11:44 PM »
The soot is invisible until it attaches itself to goldfish then the true color shows, it's really nasty stuff, sometimes it can take 5 years to appear... Just can't heat the pond with coal even with filtration, some soot always gets by and dirties the fish eventually... :tease:

Does it look like it could be a disease type color change? Fish still acting healthy? I haven't any idea why, but no one else seems to be paying attention. You may want to post the question on a different forum section where it'll get more traffic?

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 09:00:19 AM »
Black spots sometimes are the sign that their skin is healing from some kind of trauma. Usually ammonia burns. There is nothing you can do about it, it will eventually go away after the skin is completely healed. Sorta like when we get a scab from a cut.

Do you have a pic?

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 09:47:09 AM »
How is he doing now?

Offline Marilyn C

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 07:13:22 PM »
I agree with Pa Nancy.   It could be slight injuries caused by spawning.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"