Author Topic: Another Girl Scout Cookie Rant . . . . .  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Another Girl Scout Cookie Rant . . . . .
« on: March 30, 2007, 06:18:44 PM »
Don't read this if you don't want to . . . . I'll feel better just getting it off my chest . . . .

I posted a month or so ago about a new girl in my daughter's troop who just HAD to be the top seller - even to the point of cheating to claim the title.  Well, her parents (and her, tho she's less to blame than them) have caused more trouble . . . . .

If you read my last tirade, you might remember that she sold 325 boxes of cookies - that's quite a lot of orders.  Her orders were mostly 2 and 3 boxes each where my DD sold lots of orders of 10, 20, 30 and 40 boxes of cookies.  (Thanks to those on here that ordered them - you know who you are and I love you dearly!!!)

So, the cookies came in to us in early March - then our school had spring break for a week.  So I can understand not sorting them and delivering them for a week or even ten days.  But it's now been a full month, and it is far too late to be calling and saying what you got was wrong in the first place.

I did not allow any cookies out of my house until they had all been sorted into individual orders and checked and double checked.  Every year, we end up sorting all the orders and the last two orders are missing cookies - we've put the wrong type of cookies into someone way farther up the line.  So we go back to the beginning and check each and every order until we find our mistake and correct it.  I don't allow my 10 year old to do this by herself because it's a huge undertaking to get almost a hundred cookie orders correct - if I can't do it right, I cannot expect her to be perfect.  It takes several hours to get them all sorted, bagged, labled and ready to deliver.  This year we did the entire thing twice before we got all the orders correct.

Apparently these other parents both went to harvard or yale and their kid is an awful lot smarter than mine.  They let her do it by herself.  I'm fairly certain that she took a box here and a box there and didn't mark what had been delivered or even double check what cookies she gave to whom.  I also know that the father started eating cookies as soon as he got them without regard to what was there.  Plus Daughter took a bunch of cookies to school and the parents don't know what she took or what is still in her locker.  (And since they have the poor kid on a starvation diet, she probably ate a dozen boxes or so herself).

They emailed the other leader tonight and said they are 26 boxes of cookies short and we need to give them these 26 boxes again.  They also said that they aren't going to pay the troop the $52.50 they owe for the last 15 boxes because of this mistake. 

Now our troop doesn't do booth sales (in front of the grocery store), so orders as few extras as we possibly can - just enough to make even cases.  This year we ordered 37 extra boxes.  My DD and I have sold 20 of those boxes since we started delivering our cookies, so there are only 17 extra boxes left and those are only 4 flavors.  We couldn't resupply their errors if we wanted to and we don't want to resupply them.  The other leader and I spend hours at the warehouse and loading the cookies into and out of our cars and sorting them and organizeing them and getting them ready for the girls.  She's a CPA and I've been a bookkeeper for years (among other things).  We know how to count.  None of the other orders came up short or over and the troop cookies came in exactly where they should have (the 37 boxes). 

I offered to call the parents and tell them that their order was right when they picked it up and the problem is surely on their end.  I figured they don't like me anyway, so it wouldn't hurt the relationship for me to deliver the bad news (that and I'd enjoy telling them off).

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Another Girl Scout Cookie Rant . . . . .
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 06:39:34 PM »
So what will happen if they don't give the troop the money they owe for the boxes they think weren't there? I hope this works out OK for your group.

Why is it always the same people who cause trouble? I was a teller for a bank for many years and there was one group of gals that I worked with who started a list of difficult people. A customer couldn't get on the list unless more than one teller had a problem with them. One day I was training a new lady and she had just had a difficult experience with a customer. To try to make her feel better, I showed her the list and pointed out that her difficult customer was on the list long before this trainee had arrived. These types seem to go through life unknowingly leaving a trail of injured and hurting people just like Pigpen in the Peanuts cartoon leaves a cloud of dust.

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 08:32:15 AM »
Well if they didn't pay for any of their cookies, the troop would be in trouble financially.  We only have 6 girls in our troop, and we only make about $6 or so on a case of cookies (12 boxes).  Each case of cookies costs about $42.  This child sold over 300 boxes, so she and Maddie sold most of the troops cookies. 

Fortunately they have already paid for almost all their cookies.  They only owe another $52.  That won't break the troop if we don't get it, but it ticks me off that they think they can drop responsibility for their lack of supervision of their child on the troop leaders.  We work hard to provide these girls with this opportunity and this mom never volunteers for anything at all.  The other leader and I spent an entire day loading and unloading and sorting and counting and dividing cookies into individual girls' orders.  Not to mention the hours it took to add up all the orders and get the totals for the troop orders. 

I know that in the grand scheme of things, this is just so tiny and trivial.  And I have much bigger things to concern myself with these days.  But it IS irritating to deal with people like this - who think they are better than everyone else and none of the problems they create could possibly be their own fault.  Your description is so right on target . . . .

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 02:35:00 PM »
Apparently these other parents both went to harvard or yale...
This shows that being well educated doesn't mean one has common sense....

I think it's about time for an intervention, assuming the other parents in the troop are in agreement.  If they quit the troop following the intervention, which I suspect they will, then GOOD RIDDANCE!
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

GAJen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 04:39:58 PM »
Teresa sorry to hear all of that. They had a bunch of screw ups when the girls sold cookies down here....seems there was one in the bunch every year that had to cause problems similar to yours. Now the school bands sell those tubs of cookie dough. So far we've been lucky but no girl scout cookies coming around this area....in quiet some time. Guess that called it quits.

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 05:17:18 PM »
Thing is that because of the school and the behavior they expect from the girls and the parents, these idiots will get away with it.  They will not pay the last $ they owe and they will ask for more back, but I'll fight it.  There is no way that we (the troop) can possibly replace the cookies as we only have 16 boxes left and they are not the most popular types. 

Mikey - it wouldn't bother me one little bit if this girl and her parents were forced out of this troop.  I suspect that's how we got her, they had a falling out with the last troop.  Why else would she leave a troop she'd started with 4 or 5 years ago?

Offline Pa Nancy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 07:50:03 PM »
What a shame Teresa. Some people are so stupid and mean you wonder how they've lived so long.  >:(-

I would just explain to them that you and the other lady went over the orders checked and double checked each other, and everything came out perfect including THEIR order. If they sold extras and so on then that was THEIR mistake and the troop should not suffer because of it. I would also let her know if they want to CHEAT the troop of their profits that they were no longer welcome to the troop.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 08:18:51 PM »
I am so sorry Teresa. :(

Probably the biggest reason why Jamie quit Brownies.
So much aggravation. ::) >:( >:(-
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 08:26:25 PM »
It is so hard these days for kids to just go out and play without being organized to death.
They even have sport events where keeping score is not allowed lest the loser gets their feelings hurt!
hell, my beloved bruins lost tonight and my feelings are hurt!  I will handle it. :'(
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 08:35:30 AM »
If they sold extras and so on then that was THEIR mistake and the troop should not suffer because of it.

I don't think they sold extra - I think the Dad (and probably the daughter who, at 11, is already on a constant diet because her mother is afraid she might get fat) ate them.  And I think that the daughter has been randomly delivering the cookies and nobody's been checking to make sure the correct cookies were delivered or that a list of what was delivered was kept.  So now they have a mess - not enough cookies for the orders they think still need to be delivered.

I haven't heard anything yet about how they reacted when they were told that the troop has no extra cookies and the orders were all balance and double counted.  (The other leader is a CPA and I was a bookkeeper and programmed computers to do accounting for 20 years - we do know how to count.)  They were also asked to please pay the money they owed us for the last boxes of cookies they ordered.

Oh and remember the ones they ordered after the deadline so their daughter could say she sold the most?  Well Maddie and I have sold 18 of the extra boxes of cookies the troop had to order to make full cases - that puts maddie way out in front . . . . .

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"